Format: Hardcover|Change

on 21 October 2014
I have read all of Michael Connelly`s books. This has to be the worst. Totally pointless read. Surely he can do better than this?
on 22 January 2014
Very slow.I read 33% to give it a chance but it was going nowhere and I got bored with it.The 5th witness was like that too,so I don't think I'll read another of his books in this series
on 4 December 2015
Mostly very dull. Did not really get moving until 2/3 the way through. Some clever plotting, made constipated by courtroom formalities.

My advice: Stick with Harry Bosch.
on 12 March 2014
I got bored with this book and didn't finish it. It's the first M. Connelly book I've ever left. I hope his next one is better because his last 3 were excellent.
VINE VOICEon 27 November 2013
After being disappointed by Connelly's last book, (a Harry Bosch novel) I was a bit apprehensive about this one. Thank goodness, he's right back on form. In fact, the Mickey Haller novels are currently much better than the Bosch ones. Haller is utterly ruthless in his pursuit of 'justice' - i.e. doing the best for his client - as the book's excellent opening scene amply demonstrates. There are some terrific courtroom scenes in The Gods of Guilt, as you would expect, and the plot hangs together very well. I've meanly held back on a fifth star because the plot is perhaps a bit too linear and not quite twisty enough at the end. There are also a few alarming signs that Mickey Haller is taking after his half-brother Bosch and indulging in too much navel-gazing - agonizing about his daughter, his past misdeeds and so on. Snap out of it, man! But overall this is an unputdownable book and a cracking good read.
on 22 June 2014
Poor by previous books mixed up to many charecters to many suspects all in not a easy or good read
on 24 November 2016
What a great writer, in my opinion Michael Connelly is the best crime writer there is. The God's of Guilt is so well written and you can tell that the subject is well researched. I often get bored with predictable books and simplistic plots but never with Michael Connelly's books. The God's of Guilt is an excellent read and one of the best books tbat I have read in a long time.
on 23 July 2014
I love Michael Connelly books and this one did not disappoint me. Mickey Haller is a great character and I feel as if I am always there with him as the story progresses. The plot moves quickly and the team bond together well. Without spoiling this book for others I could feel their pain. Read this book and you will see what I mean. Great read.
on 12 October 2016
He is such a good storyteller.I can believe in his characters.none are perfect all have their faults.i can readily emphasise with them all.Good and bad.
I am always disappointed when I finish one of his books but buoyed up by the thought of his next.
Thank you so much for the ongoing pleasure you give us all.Long may it last
VINE VOICEon 7 August 2014
I was hoping the Haller novels were going to take a different direction for a time following the end of The Fifth Witness and Mickey's decision to run for the District Attorney post (as he puts it "his new destiny"). So it was somewhat jarring to start on The Gods of Guilt and find that this has all been unceremoniously shelved - he lost the race, and even worse is the sketchy description of events between novels to explain it all.

Connelly resets everything. Haller is back in the Lincoln, his ex-wife and daughter hate him more than ever and he is struggling to make ends meet. This is pretty much the template for the previous four books and The Gods of Guilt is largely formulaic from that point on.

I really struggled with the first half of the book as I just didn't care about the people involved. Connelly likes to present Mickey Haller as perhaps misunderstood, a lone crusader in criminal defence who can't catch a break in his relationships and is perceived as bad by most around him but really he's not. It's pretty clichéd and to be honest a lot of the time it doesn't work. It's all wearing a little thin now.

The Bosch novels had this predicament a while back but have, in my opinion at least, picked up in recent years. Connelly needs to do something with Haller, this particular book is largely pointless. The plot is uninvolving and has a couple of reasonable twists (particularly Mickey and his team setting up their straw man defence, which becomes more real than they initially suspected) but it isn't terribly new and the book mostly fizzles out into a predictable ending (apart from one slightly bizarre incident), which isn't something I would normally accuse the author of.

Michael Connelly is still a joy to read, but this is by some margin my least favourite Mickey Haller story, and that's a shame as fundamentally I like the character. It really needs freshening up.

And I can only agree with other reviewers:

The jury are known as the Gods of Guilt
Mickey has a Lincoln town car, as do many other lawyers
A film has been made about him
Money is tight (although strangely the 'firm' keeps going)

We get it Michael, please stop spelling it out every other chapter.

I didn't mind the Harry Bosch cameo though, I thought that was quite good.