on 27 April 2017
Love June hampson books
I've really enjoyed the daisy lane stories
on 9 April 2017
The Daisy Lane books are all brilliant
on 15 April 2017
Brilliant story
I have read all of the books written by June Hampson and for those that maybe haven't read her they are all part of a series featuring Daisy Lane. The first book in the series (and June's debut novel) is set in the 1960's and her last book in the series entitled Fighting Dirty has moved on to the 1980's. Her most recent release had aroused my curiosity due to the fact that this book is almost a prequel. The books feature Daisy Lane but also her friends and family. Vera has been a central character from the word go and has been a brilliant presence in Daisy's life. This book takes you back to the 1940's when Vera was a young girl.

If I am being 100% honest I was a little worried but only because I love Vera so much and wondered whether this book would be as good as the Daisy Lane books I have read to date. If anything this book far exceeded what I expected and was a brilliant read. June Hampson takes us back to when Vera was a 14 year old girl living with her family in the middle of the war. Straight away I was drawn into Vera's world and it took me less than a few pages to remember why I loved the June Hampson books so much.

If people haven't read any of the Daisy Lane books, you can still read this as a stand-alone but to be honest for me it was so much nicer having the history of all the characters. It explained so much about Vera and how she has arrived at the place she is now. Vera's life was certainly not easy and along the way she has her fair share of heartbreak and I realised why I loved her as a character so much. This book only made me want to read more and has whetted my appetite for the next Daisy Lane book.

I am not normally a fan of books set in the 40's but June Hampson has done a fantastic time of taking you back to that time and being able to picture a place torn apart by the War. I was absolutely gripped from the very first page to the very last. I am annoyed that I left this so long to read (it was released in March 2012) but am so glad that I got around to it. I think that June Hampson fans will absolutely love this latest instalment.

I think some fans are concerned that after the last book Fighting Dirty, the series may have come to a natural conclusion, but I beg to differ. I think that the next book that June Hampson produces may well feature Daisy's children as the previous book gave loads of scope for that part of the story to be developed. I will as always wait impatiently for her next instalment. For people that haven't tried June Hampson I would highly recommend her but would suggest starting at the beginning.
on 13 March 2012
I have read the other "Daisy Lane" books and thought it a great idea to go back to Vera's early days and explain why she made the choices she did. I found the settings and characters convincing and well drawn. I really enjoyed it
on 2 April 2012
I am a massive fan of June Hampson books and ordered this as soon as it was released, I wasn't sure what to expect as it focuses on the character Vera rather than the other characters but was hooked from the beginning to the end, this book is written brilliantly and I actually had tears streaming down my face at one point. I don't think any June Hampson fans will be disappointed.
on 17 April 2012
as a follower of daisy lane series i adore vera anyway and when i saw this i had to buy it and im so glad i did you see vera in a differnt way as she grew up and all her heartaches and loss and how she became who and what she is now its a brilliant story well written and so glad i purchased it cant wait for the next installment of the series.
on 12 March 2012
This book wasnt left open for a follow up story as the other review suggests, if you read all the other books, this book will make perfect sense and the ending stops at a part where the other books took off, great read, was disapointed when id finished it, would defo recommend, i have read all the books in the series and its great to find out more about Vera and her beginnings!!! Well written, sad and funny at the same time!!!
on 14 August 2012
I could not put this book down first book that i have read by june hampson I am so glad that i bought it. It is one of those books that you need to know what happens. I have now started to read the Daisy lane books also by june hampson and again its like christmas thoroughly enjoying them they are full of grit passion and filth. I dont normaly read this type of book but glad that i have found them.
on 29 February 2016
June Hampton is one of my favourite authors and this book was as amazing as all the other daisy lane books.
Due to the fact I have read all previous books I felt I could empathise more than normal because i already know and love Vera.
This is another amazing book by June Hampton that at time really tugs at the heart stings.
I would definitely recommend.