on 14 August 2015
Saw Duff on BBC2 Hardtalk 4.30 the other morning. Very interesting interview. Im not a Guns n Roses fan but thought id get a sample of his Autobiography.
Havent been able to put it down. VERY interesting. Disadvantaged boy done good, then bad, then good. Rare insight into the Rock & Roll lifestyle from the inside, looking out. Very honest & humble. Unexpectedly Excellent read. Highly recommended
on 24 November 2015
Brilliant and intelligently written I found this book impossible to put down. since I too suffered from alcoholism and a burst pancreas years ago and am equally lucky to be alive. Chapter after chapter I lived this book with Duff...knew well the places within the tale. An amazing story from one of Rock music's true legends....please....BUY this. It's the best book I have read for many years.
on 26 March 2013
A fantastic read. Very insightful into the rock n roll lives of early Guns N Roses and other bands at the time. From drug overdoses to burst pancreases, and band unity to band division, the ups and downs of a turbulent existence. Until a drug riddled rock star turns it around to be a dry Dad and a respected businessman. What an amazing life Duff McKagan has lead.
on 29 November 2015
I grew up listening to G'n'f'n'R's and Duff was my hero. However, I did not know what to expect from this as I hadn't read all that much about the background of the band. I am glad I did read this as is sheds some light upon some of the rumours surrounding the band and, also, shows what an intelligent, thoughtful person Mr McKagan is.
on 15 July 2013
I was a big Guns n' Roses when I was younger, and I recently thoroughly enjoyed Slash's autobiography (I was surprised; I NEVER read autobiographies), so I was looking forward to reading Duff's account.

Rather than being a book about Guns n' Roses (although, of course this is covered), the book tracks Duff through his life, from outcast teen to "dorky" dad. Along the way, Duff recounts his struggle with drink and drugs, and his "afterlife" from addiction comprising mountain biking and martial arts, as well as his return to education.

I couldn't help but be impressed by Duff's attitude whilst reading this book. I felt I was cheering him on throughout most of the book; you can't help but empathise with such an honest man. His writing is also top-notch: although it is not clear from the Kindle version I have, I don't think he had a ghost-writer, yet his writing is superb, bringing all aspects of the story to life. I felt like I was in Seattle! Duff is articulate, detailed, and brutally honest about the many aspects of his life.

Although this is not fiction, and thus we can't blame Duff for the storyline, I grew rather weary of the discussion about different characters' battles with drugs, which just seemed too cliché. As I say, this isn't the author's fault, but when yet another character dropped off the wagon towards the end of the book I just couldn't help but feel the book was getting a bit repetitive. This really tarnished what, in my mind, was shaping up to be an excellent book indeed. But, I am sure others won't find this a negative, so don't let this put you off.

Despite this, I would recommend it to any fan of the band, as many interesting insights are contained within.
on 5 June 2013
I bought this on a tail end of ghost-written G'n'R/MottelyCrue/Whoever book marathon (Heroin Diaries is the other one worth reading) - and I must confess on the outset I wasn't expecting much from the "3rd-4th person in G'n'R I was interested in hearing about 'their story' from"
Strangely Duff can actually really write.
on 7 February 2014
A great read, well written and could not put it down! As a GnR fan from day one, it gives an insight into where Duff came from,went through and where he is now. I found it honest, fun, sad, inspirational and a good read all the way through.
The only disappointing part was the end, I wanted to read on!
on 14 April 2013
I fell in love with Duff when reading this. He is a highly intelligent guy who puts himself across so well in this book. His personal struggles, highs (literally) and lows are described from a sensible point of view without making them sound sensationalised - which I see a lot in rock star autobiographies.
on 9 March 2013
Loved this book, couldn't put it down , surprisingly exceptional read, informative, intuitive, told from the heart , holds no punches , honest , even inspirational.
A very good read for any one who loved guns n roses, or, rock n roll , i recommend this book to any one. Duff McKagan is a good writer.
on 17 July 2015
Really good. A must read for any Guns n Roses fan. Gave me a different perspective on the whole Axl/Slash situation. The way he describes having to stop drinking was very powerful. Good to read a rock star biography actually written by them and not by a ghost writer. I would recommend this book to anyone.