Format: Hardcover|Change

on 4 May 2013
This book is a fascinating account of life as a nurse from the 1960s and examining how nursing has changed over twenty years. This is powerful storytelling at its best. Some of the stories are heartwarming while others are heartbreaking and the book is punctuated with numerous comedic moments. Wholeheartedly recommend this book. Am hoping there will be a follow up book as the story finishes in the 1980s!
on 19 May 2013
I gave The Children's Nurse a five star rating because l found it uplifting to read of the dedication, hard work and commitment of children's nurses like Susan Macqueen. They often sublimate their own needs to those of their patients. It highlights also, what fantastic work is carried out by the dedicated staff at Great Ormond Street hospital.

I loved reading every page, and the only thing l disliked was that it had to come to an end!

This book would appeal to a wide variety of people, particularly parents of children who have had to be hospitalised. Also, both retired and currently working, medical and nursing staff everywhere. As an ex-nurse, l could relate to many things Susan discussed regarding the many pressures of the job. It makes you realise also how medical science has moved on since the time Susan worked as a children's nurse, but also what can be learnt from revisiting those times regarding the very standards of hygiene and discipline.
on 19 August 2013
This was fairly interesting as I was a nurse who trained around the time that the authoress did. The writing style is rather dull and reads as an account of true events in rather a measured way. It recalled the days when we were trained to an extremely high standard which was backed up by adequate funding. If you want an unchallenging but relaxing read then this fits the bill.
on 3 December 2014
I was also a Gosh nurse in the late 70s. The book brought back a number of memories, some good and some not so good. I can still remember some of the children I nursed so long ago. As a student nurse I found the hierarchy to be harsh. I would hope this is no longer the case.
on 26 May 2013
As a nurse, I agree it was a fair account of our working life then. But, the style of writing was boring and too simplistic. Some more imagination, like sugar, would have made it a more pleasing biography to read.
on 26 April 2013
as a nurse from this era i really am enjoying this , brings back many memories, if its your thing you will enjoy it.
on 23 December 2013
This book is easy to read a real page turner. A really must read for those considering working in the nursing profession.
A really must read for those older folk who were in hospital as children when Matrons we're on the prowl ,Health ministers should read this book to find out how hospitals work and how hard and nurses work and just how much responsibility they have.,No I'm not and never have been a nurse but as. a child I spent time in hospital and this book brought back memories.
A delightful funny sad book tastefully written by an ex nurse .Loved it so beautifully written a really good read
on 23 August 2015
I absolutely loved this book - couldn't put it down once I started. Lovely memories and individual nursing stories. I wish I could un-read this book, just to read it for the first time all over again.
on 25 June 2013
Interesting read Susan was and still is an amazing woman and nurse, this is a true story of a nurse calling from childhood. Susan achieved more in her career than many but it is the small things and each patient and family that are most important which she recants with love. She is an inspiration.
on 13 December 2013
It is so interesting it helps me relax and helps me sleep. The most enjoyable book I have read for ages.