on 30 December 2017
This is an excellent book about the difficult business of being funny. As well as providing a valuable insight into the rough but ritualised procedures of the stand-up comedy circuit, it is also about individuality, maintaining the right work/life balance, and staying sane
VINE VOICEon 12 December 2017
The author of this book has appeared on the radio a couple of times recently but doesn't seem to have attracted the TV programmes yet. I hadn't heard of her until then but watch a fair bit of stand-up so was curious to learn more about her.
She has decided that she wants to become a comedian and takes on a self imposed challenge to perform 100 gigs in 100 nights, in the hope that she will be good at the end of it. In each chapter, Viv Groskop looks at several gigs together, describing highlights and lowlights - she talks about her emotions and the impact on the rest of her life.
A very chatty style is used throughout in an easy to read manner and I can hear her voice coming across. At times, the narrative is repetitive, although I found myself gradually warming to her determination. It's fair to say that life is repetitive too and I had to admire her perseverance.
As I was reading I found myself starting to really want her to be successful, whatever that took. I often google people while I am reading about them but I didn't want to here - I just wanted to get to the end of the book and find out how she was at the end.
At about the 200 page point (it's about 280 all together) I started to get a bit bored and found that I was skipping a few paragraphs to speed up the last few chapters.
The whole journey was good to read and I think the author found out more about herself than her comedy.
on 13 April 2017
Loved this book; so well written you feel like you're with Viv every step of the way of her 100 gig challenge and I was willing her on alI the way. Literally couldn't put it down, which was a challenge in itself with a 9 week old baby! Highly recommended.
on 27 February 2017
This book is possibly one of the best books I've ever read. It's so honest, and strikes the perfect balance between talking about each individual gig and discussing her journey, thoughts, lessons etc as she goes. Viv's writing is really down-to-earth and covers everything you'd want to ask someone who takes such an experiment on! I myself am a young comedian who's just started out on the circuit and I would recommend this book to anyone, whether they're a comedian or a fan of stand-up comedy or honest, heartwarming and funny writing.
on 4 November 2016
Whether you wish to read and enjoy an insight to a woman's experience of challenge and determination, or if you are an (like myself) an aspiring standup comedian wishing to share in the hurdles that they may encounter on the path of live entertainment, Viv engages with the reader at a credible and camaraderie level immediately. With a tone driven through the thought processes of its author, we also follow her external daily routines and expetitions. Very often we become witness to the collision, or near miss at the very least when the variables of time, duty and headlong energy prescribe the outcomes good or otherwise of Vivs bid to reach the finishing line of her 100th gig in 100 days. Vivs style of writing enables the reader to appreciate the thought processes and various insecurities that manifest and compete for her attention, as the frequency of circumstances gather pace. Though supported by a system of friends, and an increasingly remote family, as a reader I found myself wishing I could be at Vivs side with a diet coke and words of reassurance as her inner thought processes threaten to overwhelm her. Suffice to say, this story is only one layer of a very skilled and competent woman, Viv Groskop working in the arenas of serious journalism.
on 3 October 2016
One of the best memoirs I've read. Certainly as the reader I laughed and cried. Give this to absolutely anyone who wants to perform in any way. Read it if you have any admiration for any comedian. And read it if you have a dream of any kind and wonder if you're crazy to follow it.
on 24 September 2016
Absolutely inspiring, brilliantly written, hilarious and unbearable, all at once. I loved everything about this book: Viv's wit, determination and resilience and above all her sheer bloody mindedness to get the job done! So much so, I've set myself my own 100 day challenge, read more at flatwhitesandnotepads.wordpress.com
Thank you Viv and congratulations on the new career, long may it last.
on 13 August 2016
Fantastic
on 12 March 2016
I really enjoyed this book. It is an essential read for serious stand up comedy fans or those wishing to get into the business, or those who enjoy a good read. Frightfully honest and witty.
on 19 January 2016
An excellent insight into the open-mic world. I highly recommend anyone starting out in comedy to give this a read, not only does it show how much work you've got ahead of you, it also reassures you that every comic will (and must) die on stage.