Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 16 March 2017
Love this, as indeed all his books
on 13 June 2017
Really enjoyed this book. Fast paced, loads of action and I couldn't put it down.
on 9 January 2017
Good book
on 19 June 2017
Thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. The outcome not as I expected and highlights the difference between the macro and micro perspectives of espionage and warfare.
on 23 July 2017
Fascinating insight into the real world of especially o age and dirty
Tricks. Difficult to put down once I started it. Would
Recommend .
on 12 June 2017
Good read.
on 4 March 2017
Very good read
on 9 July 2016
Lovely film, I have just started watching Talking Pictures on Sky channel 343, it shows all the old films, with lots of British B movies. you cant beat the old ones.
on 22 May 2005
Having read all of Ryans books in sequence, I thought I knew what to expect as I picked up 'The Watchman'.
However, I was blown away by this book, it has everything a good story needs and was a huge step up from his other attempts which set a pretty high standard themselves.
The ending is immense and quite shocking, I got that hairs on the back of my neck standing up sensation after I finished it.
I read it in 5 days which is unusually quick for me as most books take at least 3 weeks, but you keep telling yourself, 'just one more page and then I'll get some sleep', but you just cant put it down!!
If ever a book was crying out to be made into a film, it is this one!
A top, TOP!! read.
on 20 July 2004
Let's not beat about the bush here; this book is simply brilliant. I write this review, fresh from my 4th, non-stop reading of The Watchman and I can honestly say that I have never been so entertained, gripped and captivated by any other novel.
Ryan's most abundant critics have often cited his lack of characterisation as the principle flaw of his writing style, saying that earlier works (the Geordie Sharp saga in particular) lacked excitment and didn't engage the reader enough. In The Watchman, Ryan has answered those critics with what can only be described as a glittering monument of fictonal engagement. If he can write like this every year, Ryan might soon find himself being spoken of with the same kind of reverence as Clancy and Forsyth.
The story is complex, twisting and un-guessable, incorporating, as always, the expert knowledge that Ryan's military career has blessed him with. The open and frank denounciation of certain British intelligence services opens a vein of criticism at a time when such organisations are already feeling the heat from the press over 'real life' matters; an apt reflection of the ruthless methodology of Ryan's fictional characters that falls nothing short of wonderful. Read this book. Then read it again.