on 10 July 2017
Love this book.
on 30 December 2013
Heart warming collection of a couple of novels and several short stories. I thoroughly enjoyed reading all of these over Christmas. Well worth the price if you're a fan of Miss Read. I loved it.
on 23 December 2011
What a lovely book to read! You get two books in one which I found, was very good value for money. My favourite story was "The Christmas Mouse." I enjoyed the bit where the two young girls of Mary are growing up, and are not sure whether Father Christmas will be coming with presents. But eventually, Father Christmas does arrive! I would recommend this Kindle edition to add your Kindle repertoire.
on 2 January 2012
I was intoduced to Miss Read at the tender age of 14.....since then I have read and re-read all her novels. I just feel as if ,Im sitting there living with the characters. I bought this book even though I,ve read these books before. I treasure my time with Miss Read. Highly recommened.
on 1 November 2011
Once again Miss Read delivers a delightful read for the festive period, lovely !! It's nice to read traditional story telling for a change.
on 19 March 2013
As I have come to expect from Miss Read's ability as an author, it is excellent. I cannot wait for the remainder of the Fairacre series to be made available for Kindle.
on 22 January 2013
I received a flawless hardback copy of this book from sellers whose intention is to " flabbergast"customers with the quality of their items.They succeeded in utterly "gasting " my " flabber" with the timely delivery of this beautiful volume, which, though described and priced as used was in such good condition that, had I not wanted it for myself, I could have given as a gift.
Miss Read's books are my comfort reading. To be read cuddled up on the sofa before a roaring fire on a cold day or in bed with a nice warm drink of hot chocolate, transporting me to a simpler, gentler time and place. All life is there, described with gentle humour and sharp observation. Her characters become so familiar and all have traits recognisable in your own friends and acquaintances describing real life in a gentle yet realistic way.
There is no lack of drama, tragedy and comedy to be found in everyday life, the stories are beautifully descriptive of country life and the countryside around us which, in today's busy world, many of us have no time to appreciate.
This book is perfect for a cold, miserable January. It is currently my bedside reading, heartwarming and restful, I am reading it slowly to take me through the rest of winter.
on 22 February 2014
Can't give a higher rating! Always a pleasure as the characters are so real. One gets to know their characters and idiosyncrasies intimately. They are all friends (well perhaps not Mrs Pringle or Arthur Coggs). It is a 'nostalgia' book of times past but true to life. I have taught briefly in such schools. I'd recommend this book (and all her books) to anyone who wants an easy read but entering into the life of village community.
on 3 February 2016
This is a British story by a British Author. Yet in the first chapter, the wording has been changed to American phraseology. The two little girls coming in from the rain have "their fringes stuck to their foreheads",but in my kindle version, it says that their "bangs are stuck to their foreheads." I live in UK and would appreciate reading my Miss Read stories as they were originally written.
on 11 December 2016
Excellent stories worth a far higher rating but BEWARE that several of the books have been 'translated' into American English, even if you buy this via Amazon.co.uk! Bangs, sneakers, paper handkerchief and defences etc.... Makes you wonder when Amazon are planning to sell all Kindle books in just American!!!