Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 3 April 2017
Superb read from start to finish, I am a massive Jason Bourne fan of the films so was a little bit uneasy about reading a Bourne book. I was desperately hoping the books were as good or better than the films and I was not disappointed. It was 755 pages of fantastic reading progressive and pacey I can't wait to get my next Bourne book in the series.
on 20 March 2017
excellent
on 7 August 2017
Good book
on 19 June 2017
good service
on 7 December 2013
The Ludlum originals were pretty far-fetched, but these sequels, of which this is the second, really take the biscuit when it comes to ludicrous fantasy.

The author clearly decided he wasn't up to continuing with the relationship between Bourne and Marie (which was one of the strengths of the original Bourne trilogy). In his first attempt (Bourne Legacy) he simply sends Marie and the children off to a safe house at the outset and then hardly mentions them again. In this one, he takes the easy way out and kills her off (from pneumonia). Neither does he follow up the interesting part of Legacy (the discovery that Bourne's son by his first marriage actually survived). The older son is never mentioned in this book.

All we get are endless sadistic descriptions of extreme brutality. I suppose there must be rather sad people out there who enjoy reading page after page describing horrific injuries. But I have to admit I find that sort of thing desperately unappealing. I suppose I could take it if the story were compelling. But it isn't. It is complete nonsense. Yes, we get the usual stuff about the CIA wanting to kill Bourne (that becomes more and more difficult to believe with each story since they all end up with him saving America). And, as usual, there is a genuine fiend out there who also wants to murder Bourne. Carlos is now dead, so we have to find someone else with a motive for killing Bourne. This time it is a terrorist whose father was seriously injured by Bourne and whose sister is thought to have been killed by him. We are given no explanation of why Bourne had done those things. I suppose we are meant to accept that his comfortable life as a harmless university professor (as he was when Ludlum left him) came to an en end and he resumed his career as a hired killer for the USA.

Not only is Bourne now the chameleon we always knew him to be, but he, and the evil terrorist, are now apparently capable of changing their appearances so successfully that they can actually pretend, successfully, to be other real people. Close friends and relations, we are led to believe, are completely taken in. This is nonsense on a grand scale.

What is really sad is that sadistic, nasty, nonsensical books of this sort have readers who apparently like them. I do hope I never have the misfortune to meet anyone who admires this beastly rubbish.

Charles
44 Comments| 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Anyone familiar with Eric Van Lustbader original work can attest that he is a very good action-thriller writer. I would recommend NINJA and WHITE NINJA without any reservation. The BOURNE BETRAYAL however is an entirely different story...

As with DUNE and the GODFATHER, whenever a publisher has different writers attempt the continuation of a book franchise after the passing of the original author, this fails. Miserably.
Trying to walk in someone else's footprints will produce an unfamiliar stride and an unnatural gait. Similarly, trying to write on someone's else's ink-marks yet produce something original at the same time is just awkward. And that is the feeling this book leaves you with.

Gone are Ludlum's serpentine plot twists. The plot is so thin that saying anything about it would spoil it entirely. Despite its 700 pages, this is as shallow as a movie script pitch - and the big screen is what it is obviously aimed at.

It has gone far enough. Let's not encourage them anymore...
on 21 April 2017
Part of Bourne series. Good.
on 21 June 2010
As with all the previous Bourne books, "Identity", "Supremacy", "Ultimatum" and "Legacy", the Betrayal is a gripping read. The reason I gave it four stars rather than five is that I found it difficult and slightly off putting, getting my head and tongue around all the foreign names of characters. I also purchased The Bourne Sanction and The Bourne Deception. I will review these books when they are read. If you thought the Bourne films with Matt Damon were good then you will love the books because they are in a different league. The films come nowhere near telling the stories the books portray. If you don't have any and are an avid reader, then I would advise buying the whole set of Bourne books. Your bookshelves will love you for it.
on 4 June 2014
More twists and turns than a rollercoaster!! I was loathe to put it down at nightime, wanting to know what was going to happen next, to the point that I did sneak a peek at the last page midway through, because I got a bit worried my hero wasn't going to survive the many beatings/stabbings etc. he'd had from the outset! A good read, but I did not give it a five star rating because I was very disappointed that Bourne's son Khan, was not featured at all in this book considering his major role and reunion with his father in the previous book! This was a disappointing lack of plot consistency for me
on 5 January 2009
I originally bought the first three of the Bourne books as a result of my great liking of the new films of the same name; indeed, I have always been under the impression that a greater appreciation of a given story can be attained from the reading of a book than its corresponding film. Suffice to say I adored the first two novels - Identity and Supremacy - but somehow felt that the third of the series lacked a little something.

I nearly refrained from purchasing the Van Lustbader Bourne books from fear that they would be nothing more than stretching the story, as is not unheard of within television shows these days. But upon reading The Bourne Betrayal I found that this was by no means the case: I found the story to be absolutely fantastic! A brilliantly written and immersive spy-thriller, with a substantial, and what I believe to be inspired, twist in the plot.

I have noticed some of my fellow reviewers expressing dissappointment in the techniques and style with which the book was written, which is their prerogative, but personally I would argue that these are merely a result of a new author, and though it is true that certain differences can be noticed I feel that - yes, the style of the writing features a few differences from the originals, but further that Van Lustbader's take on the story of Jason Bourne is superb in its own right and ever remains true to the original novels.

An excellent read :)