Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 6 August 2017
Beginning a little slow, but wonderful story
on 13 June 2017
a great read - not to be m issed
on 15 May 2017
Love this author
on 29 June 2017
I brought this as it was compared with Kate Morton's books. Whilst the Legacy is good, it is not a patch on any of Morton's. The story is interesting but lacks a twist at the end.
VINE VOICEon 3 August 2010
I have just finished this book, and, although it took me a while to get into it, I found by the last third of the novel, I was completely absorbed in the twin narratives. There does seem to be a fashion for this story format, however, and I don't want to read another one for a while!! The interesting thing about this story is that some of the characters are quite annoying - Caroline, so prim and foolish and selfish, - Beth - so buttoned up about the past. The writing is very good, some lovely descriptions, you feel you know the house, the path through the woods, and of course, the mysterious 'dew pond' where something happened long ago... I did guess the mystery quite early on, I'm not sure if the reader is meant to know before Erica, I think so. I enjoyed the flashback chapters, I think the author conveyed quite accurately what it would be like for an East Coast lady to be dumped in Oklahoma to be a rancher's wife. The ending seemed a bit cobbled together to me, I wanted something more definite. In conclusion, this book will keep you happily occupied for a few days, and I would recommend it for your holiday suitcase!
on 8 May 2017
The family saga in America and England shows both sides of life and in different decades. The lifestyle and culture of the travelling folks is genuinely portrayed with sensitivity and tenderness, giving the reader something to think about long after the book has been read. Cruelty in children is depicted quite bluntly and also the innocent compassion just shines through. Katherine Webb keeps up the mystery and suspense until the very end and then all the characters and places remain in memory,like real life friends and events. A thoroughly enjoyable and interestingly different storyline to be enjoyed by all.
This isn't the normal sort of book that I would buy but there was a kindle sale on and so thought I would fill it up with some things I wouldn't normally read for my holiday. The story is set in 2 different times with an added mystery in both parts. It flicks back and forward between the 2 interlinked stories and you quickly find yourself absorbed in the story and then...it changes to the other timeline! I found the ending to be rather predictable and a slight let down but it didn't spoil my enjoyment at all. I couldn't wait to read it every day and finished it really quickly before I even went on holiday! Loved it and bought her other book "The Unseen" as soon as I had finished.
on 15 April 2012
First book I have read by this author and was pleasantly surprised. I thought she wrote descriptively and grammatically and was easy to follow. The manner in which she travelled between centuries in her book with such ease - as well as geographical locations - managing at the same time to keep the reader's interest was excellent. I thoroughly enjoyed the storyline, would recommend this as interesting historically as well as from the actual mysteries in the story. Would have preferred a more solid ending, but I am a "Happy Ever After" girl! Definitely worth a buy.
on 5 September 2017
A carefully told family saga across 6 generations, 3 families and 2 continents. Secrets ripple down the years and impact children who don’t know them. The very idea of a legacy and of known and unknowing inheritance is explored on several levels. The story-telling is in sections from a few different viewpoints and dances between generations in a deliberately disjointed sequence which intrigues rather than mystifies.

I really enjoyed this book and found it an engrossing read even though I guessed some of the outcomes earlier on. The thoughtful presentation of several strong-minded women and capable men was a delight and underlying themes of guilt, love and the lack of it, loyalty and family ties kept my interest at a high level throughout.
on 25 June 2010
What you have to understand about this book is that it is so far out of my normal choice of reading as to not even be on my horizon. Normally limiting myself to Sci-Fi or Fantasy I will, however, read a book if recommended by a trusted source, and so this is how I came to "The Legacy".

The author has an amazing skill, strong, believable characters, who are weaved into a beautifully crafted and intriguing plot. The historical portions of the tale are clearly well researched (without the author falling into the trap of "I've researched all of this so you will get every single detail of everything I know", but that research is used as the framework to hang a tale of adventure, sorrow and joy. The contemporary portions compliment and dovetail seamlessly into the overall story, and the author allows, on occasion, the reader to correctly assume something later revealed to be true (and therefore feel very smug and clever) and then, later, twist the plot around into something unexpected and yet, once revealed, you know the clues were there all along!

If I could write half as good as this, I'd be twice the writer I am now!

Brilliant.

If the author has anything else in the pipeline then it will be on my shopping list.

Why are you still reading this? Go buy the book!
22 Comments| 97 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse