Format: Paperback|Change

on 29 April 2004
No Second Chance is a classic thriller following Dr Marc Seidman, a manwho wakes up in hospital to find that he has been shot, his wife murderedand daughter kidnapped. He becomes obsessed with finding his daughter andgetting her back home safely. However, the kidnappers have otherideas.
The pace is fast with plot twists galore and the characters are strong andwell-developed with each of them showing their strengths andvulnerablities along the way. It is a very absorbing read too - I endedup staying up hours longer than I intended just so I could find out theending.
I had never read anything by Harlan Coben before No Second Chance, but Iwill certainly be reading some of his other titles in the future. Recommended.
on 5 May 2004
I just love Coben. His characters are alive, his writing is crisp, and he just can't help but be funny.
He also really LIKES and respects women and is not homophobic - two traits virtually unheard of in male mystery writers.
I couldn't put this book down and kept on reading even though I had LOTS of other things to do - it was that good.
And ... for what it's worth, I think the final twist is fine. I would also recomend "A Tourist in the Yucatan"
on 22 February 2004
What a brilliant book. First time I have read this author. I will now be searching Amazon for his other books. I am not a big reader but I couldn't put this book down. It grabs you right from page 1. Excellent.
on 6 April 2004
Fantastic - this book is fantastic, the characters are truly believeable and I loved the way in which the main character narrated the story to the reader. It really felt as you were there with him on his journey to find the truth.
From the very start you are hooked and the outcome .... well you'd have to read it and see, although a complex storyline it was fairly easy reading and the different characters were introduced at just the right times - I'd love to see this story on TV. Edge of the seat stuff.
I have never read anything from this Author prior to this but I will certainly be looking for him again!
VINE VOICEon 17 February 2004
No Second Chance is another excellent offering from Coben. It twists and then twists again... the first person narrative is exciting and desperate. You feel all of the remorse and desperation of Dr.Seidman...but you also wonder if it was he who killed his wife and kidnapped his baby daughter? a book that holds every parents nightmare...I would recommend this as a thriller of the highest order...
on 16 February 2004
It was my first time reading a book by this author, and I must say I am hooked, after reading this book, I went out and got two of his other books. I love the way he holds your attention, page after page and you could never guess the ending till you got there. A great sense of humour he has too. I found myself laughing out loud on a crowded bus. Five stars is too little. Definately my choice for Novel of the year. Way to go.
on 7 June 2016
I've somehow never read Harlan Cohen before but I'm going to continue reading his from now on. Absolutely brilliant. Great plot, lots of wrist and turns. Kept me guessing right to the end. I won't spoil it (hate it when people reveal ending in reviews so rarely read them now) but it was a great climax to end the book with. Well worth a read if you like a good plot
on 25 October 2015
Following the murder if his wife, Marc Siedman is in hospital for ten days, before finding out that his daughter, Tara, is missing. We follow Marc's tortuous journey to discover whether Tara is indeed still alive. Has she been kidnapped, trafficked perhaps? Lenny, his friend and lawyer, assists him where he can. Over two years 4million dollars of Marc's ex father-in-law's money are spent in attempting to get Tara back. Even Rachel, an ex-lover and former FBI agent become involved. An interesting twist at the end makes this a really good read.
on 20 January 2014
I have always loved Harlan Coben and devoured his books. However this story began to feel formulaic and I felt I had been here before.
His plots are always full of twists and turns and his characters compelling but.perhaps I have read too many because I felt this was a mishmash of plot twists and red herrings left over from his earlier (better) works.

I did finish it but was left with a disappointed feeling. May never read another now.
on 6 June 2010
I'd like to give this a 3 and a 1/2 really, as 3 seems a bit mean. It is a very good, page-turny thriller, packed with real clues and red herrings and a twisty turner plot. Its downfall is that I read it straight after The Woods by the same author which is far superior to this. No Second Chance did its job in that it kept me hooked and I couldn't really put it to one side for long without picking it up again, but it didn't have that satisfyingly neat, dovetailed ending that The Woods has and I didn't find the characters quite so engaging either. At the end of this one, I found myself slightly pulling holes in the plot. Would X a character really have done that particlar thing? Would the police really not have spotted that? That kind of thing. Good, but not the best.