on 19 February 2013
As a avid fan of Michael Connelly, this is the best book i have ever read. I don't just mean Connelly's work, I mean the best book I have ever read! I have read many of this wonderful authors books, a truly great writer, but this is the one for me. Considering it was only his 3rd novel it's terrifically intriguing, a real page turner, and with an amazing twist to keep you awake until the early hours. Usually I have got the answer by about 60 - 70%; not with this, it's all the way to the end. Astonishing - Harry Bosch does it again!
on 9 March 2015
Connolly is one of a kind. Obviously his stories are works of fiction but they are steeped in horrific and brilliantly narrated realism. Having read only his previous works I was sceptical that he could keep improving and keep diversifying., but the man is a natural storyteller. With so many years around the police he clearly took more in than most mortals might endure and then purged himself at his typewriter. I read this in little more than a week after finishing the previous novel to this. I've already started the next.
on 28 August 2013
This is by far the best book of the series so far. Michael Connelly cleverly uses the backdrop of a courtroom drama to develop the backstory of grizzled Hollywood Homicide detective Harry Bosch. This allows us to connect more with the main character whilst being gripped by the courtroom drama and murder case that run alongside the story.
This is a really well written page-turner and if like me you found the first book of the series, the black echo, a little hard going, persevere as each novel gets better and better!
on 6 August 2015
Harry Bosch is quite an addictive character. After reading a couple of these a few years back out of sequence I decided to start with number 1 and move forwards to understand the personality development. Concrete blonde accurately conveys a sense of gritty drama with the dog eat dog world of LA firmly in the foreground. I enjoyed this book immensely and changed my mind several times on the ultimate killer only to get it completely wrong!! That's the sign of a skilled writer to me, recommended….
on 27 February 2006
Harry is on trial for the shooting death of the serial killer known as the Dollmaker. After eleven victims, a twelfth turns up—a blonde buried in the concrete. After a mysterious note from the Dollmaker arrives for Harry, he begins to doubt whether he shot the right person. This was an ingeniously crafted tale about a serial killer. My only problem is Connelly’s choice of who the murderer is at the end of the book. Harry’s love interest is pretty boring too.
on 9 March 2011
i stumbled across the harry bosch series and read the first three books and was not greatl impressed. this book is very good story telling with enough twists and turns to keep you wanting to continually read. in this the third novel in the series you also start to feel empathy with the character and start rooting for him in a sub liminal way. i can not wait to read what is in store in the next book. Also I would recommend reading them in order for the true experience.
on 4 July 2007
This was the first book by Michael Connelly I read, and it it was excellent. It was gripping, tense and fast paced. I read it for my reading group, and loved it, though unfortunately the person who had recommended it was not present. Most of the story is taken up by a fast paced and incredibly interesting court case. I have ordered ten more Connelly novels since and have yet to read them, though if they are anything like this I shall not be disappointed.
on 19 October 2000
Bosch is such a loser, you are drawn in to his messed up life once again and it hardly lets up for the first hundred pages, then takes another turn for the worst!
Great book with good characters which will appeal to those who like detective books with plenty of dodgy murders. it is also a good court-room thriller unlike the other MC books so far I have read.
I will not stop until I have read all the MC books so far. This is one of his best.
on 18 February 2015
This series of books are really good, I've read them all and find that some of the later ones are a bit weak though.
on 19 March 2015
I was not impressed with this book. Most of the time spent in the courtroom not very exciting. Would not recommend