on 4 October 2017
Brilliant.
on 14 September 2017
very quick delivery would use again
on 9 November 2010
National Hunt fans have been blessed to live through an era of fantastic, fit horses due to massive improvements in equine training and two sublime sportsmen - namely the indomitable AP and the sublime Ruby Walsh. Walsh comes from fine stock - his grandfather was a trainer and so is his dad, Ted (not to mention sister Katie who is also a jock!). Ruby, and his ghost writer Malachy Clerkin, really show what it is like to be a race rider - the thrills, the spills, the injuries of which poor old Ruby (who is currently nursing a broken leg after a fall at Down Royal on 6th Nov)has suffered more than most. What I liked about this book was the way Ruby talked through his big races, Papillion and Hedgehunter in the National; Kauto in the Gold Cup - what he had got right, the mistakes he had made, the horses he missed (Denman in the Gold Cup)- I really felt I was there riding along side Ruby and I've not felt that reading any other jockey's book. This is a very vibrant, honest account of a saddle artist who is at the top of his game - certainly the best book I have read by a jockey. I loved Ruby's details; the annoyance he feels when being asked to tip horses (as if he has some inside knowledge); the poor standard of Irish changing rooms and why jocks are junk food addicts - unbelievable but true!This book is a must-read for anyone interested in NH and the life of one of the all-time greats. British and Irish race courses will miss Ruby's presence whilst he is recovering from his broken leg but by buying this book you can re- live his greatest moments - lets hope he returns to the saddle soon.
on 15 November 2010
I adore Ruby Walsh as a jockey, and this book is certainly a must-read for any NH-Fan. Walsh, so no doubt priviledged by birth, has made it to the very Top of his game, because he has talent, works hard, questions himself, but certainly also because he has the right team behind him. Its refreshing to read in the foreword that Ruby thought writing a book is just a piece of p**, which he soon found out it isnt. Personally I found it quite difficult to get "into" the story, as the style, very much like you and I would talk on the street, is a bit tiring at first; many sentences contain only a word or two, and one has to get used to this. I too enjoyed Ruby's outspoken opinions about facilies on Irish Racecourses, Fastfood, some medical treatment he received; it was great to re-live his Grand National wins. It was interesting, but strange, to read his view about chosing Kauto over Denman when the latter won the Gold Cup; I found Ruby's anger only partly understandable - he stayed loyal to Kauto Star, and you cannot ride them all. I would have loved to read more about the great horses Ruby rode, even Kauto Star, who next to Commanche Court and Hedgehunter is the most mentioned horse in the book (who else?) doesnt get have as much coverage as I would have liked to read. Big Bucks is mentioned in about two sentences, as is Master Minded, for example; but it might be naive to think that its horses that make jockeys. Ruby's view on life is no doubt very very focused, and not sentimental by a country-mile. It might be that the book is more a blokes books than one for us soft-hearted femals fans of the sport. No doubt it is a great christmas pressie if your husband or boyfriend is keen on the horses.
on 19 November 2010
I am a keen follower of National Hunt racing, Ruby is my favourite jockey. I remember many of the races Ruby wrote about and it was good to hear about the races from a jockeys perspective. I would recommend this book to all racing fans.
on 26 January 2014
I really enjoyed tis book. It follows Ruby Walsh throughout his racing career to the present day. I can, however, not help thinking that this book has been written rather prematurally as hopefully Ruby has many years left in racing ahead of him.
on 28 December 2013
Of all the racing books I have read over the years about horseracing, this is the only one I have struggled with. It has taken me 4 months to read. The book does not hold your attention.
on 20 July 2012
How many times have we all heard the old adage 'never judge a book by it's cover'? My opinion of the great Ruby Walsh has always been 'a brilliant rider but a big head to boot'. Only half way through his excellent autobiography and my opinion of him has changed 100%. Of course, he is still a great rider, but he also comes across as very modest and self-effacing; he knows where his roots lie, he realises just how lucky he is to have this tremendous talent and his sense of loyalty is second to none. Ruby, it would seem, tries very hard to please all of the people all of the time. And very often succeeds!
on 15 December 2011
Having read A.P.McCoys biography last week, I was worried that I was going to be disappointed with this one, as it's pretty hard to compete with the most successful jump jockey of all time... However, what Ruby's lacked in winners, this book by far made up in quality. With a witty, well organised tale of events, and a fantastic writing style that made me hate the moments where I needed to put the book down, I would recommend this book to anyone, racing folk or not. It was brilliant. Just brilliant.
on 25 February 2014
What a fantastic rider and family of riders, such gentle people with an understanding way and above anyone else I know to ride jump horses.