Format: Paperback|Change

on 30 April 2009
Be prepared to put aside almost everything else you have to do when you pick up Coben's latest compulsive page-turner, Long Lost. If you're a fan of Myron Bolitar and his "crew" from the other books in this series, you'll be very happy with this thriller, although you may have to suspend your belief in Bolitar's exploits a little more than usual. If this is your first book in the series, I think you'll still enjoy Long Lost a lot; but perhaps not as much as readers that are already familiar with the characters in the series. In Long Lost Myron receives an out-of-the-blue call from ex-lover, Terese Collins, who he hasn't heard from in ten years, asking him to come to Paris to renew their once torrid relationship. Once he learns the real reason for her invitation, Myron is off to Paris. He and Terese soon find themselves trying to avoid Homeland Security, Interpol and Mossad. Long Lost is an extremely fast, intense and fun read. The only factor that causes me to subtract one-half star is that I found the ending, while very exciting, to be a bit too contrived and implausible. Nonetheless, Long Lost is a very enjoyable book and one I'd highly recommend.
on 9 June 2010
As someone who was riveted by all the other Myron Bolitar stories, this was a distinct letdown. Every so often TV takes a success out of its normal setting, usually for a Christmas special. It rarely works.
Instead of the usual close-to-home, surburban, tightly defined plot, Long Lost ends up as a mixture of usual Bolitar, international thriller and a denouement that was almost science-fiction (if you were dismayed to see Close Encounters spliced into the Indiana Jones IV film, you'll feel uneasy about Long Lost).
Maybe the gap between Bolitar books was for a reason.
on 6 May 2009
This book was consumed in a night. I just couldn't help it. The story is so jammed packed with characters, plot developments and turns that you're not quite sure what is going on. I love Coben's style of writing and his latest Myron Bolitar is one of his best. The story has already been summed up and I do not want to give anything away and spoil it, but trust me...this book is beyond brilliant. Fair enough it seems like Myron is just a sucker for punishment and has the worst luck in the world when it comes to women, but you care for him and for Terese and the writing is so powerful that you believe that all these things could happen. For me though the best thing about this book is the emotion shown by Bolitar throughout the novel, there's still the witty comebacks and one liners but Myron is more vulnerable and it comes across really effectively
VINE VOICEon 16 August 2009
I loved the early Myron Bolitar books, and I think I've read all Coben's novels, but I think I'll probably leave the series here. Myron's escapades always required the reader to suspend disbelief, but the wisecracking and self mocking hunour meant that the entertainment value was high - a bit like watching a cartoon.

Unfortunately, the characters have become little too one dimensional and/or predictable, and the change of scenery to Europe only serves to underline this - let's face it these are New York people - although Coben does avoid his tendancy to overplay the "dark heart of suburban America card" so noticable in his stand alone novels.

Although the basic premise of the plot is an interesting one, it's here that the suspension of disbelief becomes essential. I am not going to spoil things if you want to read it but there are too many unlikely events - at least for this reader

To summarise, Coben has written another decent novel, and it will certianly keep you entertained (I read it on holiday), and if you are new to the Myron Bolitar circus, it may well lead you to read his other novels - if you do, I think you'll see what I am on about!!
on 8 March 2016
The protagonist in Long Lost, Myron Bolitar, breaks through the fourth wall by talking directly to the reader about themselves, and continues in this irritating, false-self-deprecating vein throughout the rest of the novel. If Myron's voice was meant to be self-deprecating, it misses the mark. If it was meant to be funny, it misses the mark. If it was meant to be sarcastic...you guessed it...it misses the mark. At best, it is jarring, irritating, and dislocationary (throwing the reader out of the story). At worst it is arrogant, pushing the reader to not care at all about what happens to Myron.

Having muddled through a good third of the book, following Myron to meet with his ex-lover, get arrested several times by the French police, who then share their intimate secrets and then immediately let him go (which anyone who has dealt with French officials, especially in Paris, will tell you is nigh on impossible - so again, totally unrealistic), have a James-Bond-esque shoot out with mobsters and escape unscathed, and be rescued by his billionaire friend to be whisked off to a London hotel, as if the French police wouldn't be able to trigger their connections with the British police via Interpol, to arrest Myron and his friend on arrival in London, I completely lost the plot (whatever plot there was to follow).

I found it difficult to build up any sort of emotional link with any of the characters, and the entire plot was haphazardly wrapped around some past relationship that the protagonist had with a one-time fling.

The main charactor, Myron, somehow oscillated between being a goofy, cannot-hold-onto-a-thought-or-relationship, awkward home-grown American man, to some international man of mystery with amazing reactions and shooting skills. (Myron manages to overpower a man sitting in front of him at the table, hitting the man with the table without getting shot, then grabbing the gun and shooting another man dead in a single shot, across a crowded restaurant, without hitting anyone else or even thinking about the repercussions.)

I would expect this sort of storyline from a creative writing student who is just starting out, not from a best selling author. This really felt like one of James Patterson's write-by-numbers "thrillers" which leave the reader feeling like they just wasted time in reading the book.
on 22 January 2016
Being a Harlan Coben fan already and having read previous Myron Bolitar novels I knew I would enjoy this. And it didn't fail.to have the perfect mix of humour, suspense and page-turning quality to it.
on 26 January 2010
This guy has written some cracking novels, but this is not one of them. Usually I can't put these books down, but this book, I kept remembering that I had to finish it before I could read something else.

Myron Bolitar is presented as some kind of thoroughly decent new man's alpha male man, but I don't buy it. I feel he's a bit of a deluded ol' creep. Mentally bigging himself up all the time because he was once an athlete. Bolitar walks through customs wondering whether to give the female customs officer the full charm offensive or just bare minimum.

Win's 'mee time' nonsense was quite tedious. We're supposed to believe that Myron disapproves of that. But the problem is, the characterisation is so poor, that instead of hearing two clear and distinct voices, one from Myron and one from Win, I read this book hearing Harlan Coben himself. Rightly or wrongly, I feel like he's a mixture of Myron and Win, ie, a conceited misogynist who considers himself rather charming.

All that talk about derriers and felony in a bikini was just boring. like some randy teenager writing for Nuts magazine.

I;ve read my last Harlan Coben. but luckily, I've discovered Lynwood Barclay.
on 27 October 2012
This book was slighty better than "promise me". There wasnt the tedious background to each character that readers are oh so well aware of in each book leadin onto one another. I like myron and win's friendship, but there wasnt enough off win on this book. Too much about myron's love life....its becoming boring...all his loves appear after several years absence in as much as there is becoming a pattern almost i would suggest bordering on laziness to think up new characters. I was desperate to finish the book but not because the storyline was gripping by any means but because i have so many other books lined up to read which i hope are much better than the way harlan coben is heading! Oh for a new, strong story with 50/50 myron and win!
on 29 April 2012
This is by far the best Myron Bolitar book! I couldn't put it down! The plot was incredible and so plausible. How does Harlan Coben come up with these ideas? I'm hesitating reading the new one in the series, Live Wire, in case I'm disappointed..
on 9 February 2014
Yet another book in the Myron Bolitar series which I love. This is yet another great read which I find hard to put down this is one of Harland best books although it is not fair to say as I have found all of his books a great read.