Customer reviews

on 30 January 2011
This is a wonderful little book, easy to read with practical advice and simple exercises that really can start to create a new you and change your life. It taught me to start a new compassionate, kind relationship with myself. After all sometimes the way I treated myself I wouldn't treat my worst enemy that way.This practical guide covers every aspect of your emotional wellbeing from cognitive thinking to learning to be in the moment.Its a little gem, its amazing buy it and read it you won't be dissapointed.
on 3 November 2010
Thank goodness for someone with sense, perspective and empathy in the world of self-help books. Not all of us can read a page of inspirational quotes and jump out of bed feeling fantastic. This author understands that bolstering self-esteem is a gentle, progressive and fragile process and she provides the perfect set of steps to accomplish this. Ones that you can easily do. I personally drew huge strength from exercises and from the descriptions of the battles in her life, ones that she has overcome against all odds. I could not recommend this book more - it's one that I will dip in and out of and recommend to others for years to come.
on 11 February 2010
As a struggling student going off the rails like any young person does, I found this book really helped centre my focus and general well being. I was failing my course and having a negative social life but after following Dr d'Felice's advice I am back on track and everything is going the way I want it to go. I really recommend this book to anyone who is willing to help themselves and what to make positive changes with their life.
on 16 December 2010
This looks like another cheesy self-help book but it is beautifully written, inspiring, and mercifully NOT American! Highly recommended.
on 25 October 2011
This is not a quick fix book it is really hard work but very rewarding. I would recommend it to anyone who is interested in personal development.
on 7 January 2010
I thought this was wonderful read. An inspirational guide to learning how to make the most of our fragile existence and how to manage the bad experiences which we sometimes allow to influence the way we live our lives. The author combines her own traumatic experiences with her study and practice of a range of psychological therapies and philosophical influences. The narrative is well balanced and non-judgemental (she has suffered terribly at the hands of some in the medical profession but acknowledges that she has also been saved by the skills of others). There are easy to follow exercises that enable the reader to manage the transformation of their life through the surprisingly simple process of being compassionate and understanding with themselves. Get it for yourself AND give it to a friend.
on 23 July 2011
Could I start by saying that most so'called self-help books, written by bogus authors with no scientific understanding normally leave me cold.

However, I have just read this book and found it extremely inspirational and helpful. Because of past experiences, I have changed my thinking over the last few years which has changed my perpspective on things anyway but, that said, this book gave me a deeper understanding of why we think the way we do and how to reframe thoughts in a much more positive way.

Having studied psychology for years, I felt that it was written in an understandable but intelligent way, which was not patronising to those with some knowledge but, equally, not too difficult for anyone to understand.Dare To Be You: Eight Steps to Transforming Your Life
on 11 February 2010
This is a great book if you want to make changes in your life. If you are feeling stuck, confused, upset about something or want to work out who you are and what you want, it has something to offer. It's also really balanced, doesn't preach and Dr C has had bad stuff happen to her, so she isn't saying 'do what I say', she is talking from real experience that is really inspiring. HIghly recommend and it is really accessible.
on 5 December 2014
This book was recommended to me and I have read and reread it. My copy is full of underlinings. It helped me through a difficult time and is nice to keep to dip in to as reminder of how far I've come and how grateful I am for books like this.
on 21 December 2011
This book was recommended in a review in the national press which made me buy it for a friend. Naturally, I read it before giving it to them, but was so disappointed in its content, that I did not give them the book. I thought it was full of mumbo jumbo and was more a book about how clever the author was to come through a series of very unfortunate events in her own life. If you were feeling depressed, it was more likely to make you more so....I think CBT probably needs to be carried out with the help of a trained advisor, and this book, unless you were an incredibly strong person like the author, is not the book for the average British person needing help with anxiety or depression.