Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 19 December 2012
I really enjoy Lesley Lokko's books - and I have read several of them. "An Absolute Deception" did not disappoint I really love the way that. Lesley starts all her books by writing about characters who live on different continents, and who appear totally unrelated. Yet as the plot unfolds, the links between all the characters evolve, and creates a powerful story.
The deception that Annaliese, the lead character, practised is not revealed until almost the very end of the book, and it kept me turning the pages. All the characters are strong and yet also vulnerable, with secrets to hide.
The only fault I would find is that the incident which happened in Annaliese's youth, and which changed her life for ever, is somewhat glossed over, but other than that, "An Absolute Deception" is a gripping story to read and I was sorry to finish it.
on 11 March 2017
Gave up halfway through. Not a badly written book, just slow, too much jumping around & no characters to warm to.
on 17 June 2013
I've read all Lesley Lokko's books, most of them more than once, and really admired the way she can take many disparate strands and weave them together to produce a complex and ultimately coherent story. Not this time. I reached the last page of a chapter, turned over, and was more than taken aback to find the book had finished and I was reading the publisher's blurb. It's not that I expected a tickbox of story threads to be neatly finished off, but one of the central issues of the book, i.e. why and how Anneliese reinvented herself was almost thrown away, as was what happened to the other main characters in the story. It was like missing the last part of a four-part serial and I don't understand how her editors can have allowed it to be published with so many threads still to be pulled. Is there a sequel on the way? I hope so because her characters in this book are powerful and engaging, and deserve more than she gave them.
on 16 May 2013
I have loved Lesley Lokko books since I read the first one, although some are better than others. I was hooked reading this book, as usual, although you are just told about the different characters and it isn't until half book that they start relating to one another and that makes it a little difficult to read. It is all interesting, anyway, and it shows how deep and difficult it is to understand human relationships.

Despite all this, I can give it only two stars, and I'm sorry, because there are so very many parts of the argument that are never solved, not even hinted at! The impression I got was that when the author reached the number of pages the contract was for, she just finished right there. I still hope that there will be a second part, because there certainly is enough material for it!
on 6 May 2013
I found the book quite gripping, as I have done with other books by Lesley Lokko, but I agree with some of the other reviews. The ending is too sudden, and unsatisfactory - so many questions left unanswered, such as who is Callan's father, what happens to Hayley and Ree, and to their girls, etc.

What annoyed me the most, however, is the details that have clearly not been researched. I am pretty sure that BA don't fly to St Martin, and in my experience, the lounge staff never wave people through, without at least checking boarding cards. So Tara and Callan would not have flown out of Terminal 5, and I doubt very much they'd have had access to the lounges in the way it is presented in the book.

Also, when Anneliese touches her elbow when the maid in Cape Town gives her back the earring, the explanation is that it is a respectful gesture 'specific to southern Africa'. This gesture is commonly used in other African countries, such as Tanzania, which means it's not a specific just to southern Africa.

There are more examples of this kind of thing, and what it left me feeling is that the book was written quite quickly, without proper attention to detail. That's shoddy writing, unfair on the readers, and frankly, very irritating as you read through the novel.

Having said all this, I did quite enjoy the book, overall.
on 23 April 2013
Have always loved Lesley Lokko's books, however An Absolute Deception left me quite disappointed.

A number of situations/incidents are glossed over or not gone into in much depth whereas too much description and time is spent on inconsequential parts. The ending was abrupt, so many loose ends!

On a positive note I enjoy how Lesley covers several continents in her stories and how the characters lives are intertwined. Will still look forward to her next book, hopefully it will be a five star!
on 4 May 2013
I've read and loved all of Lesley Lokko's books but this one I found to be quite hard work. The story skipped around between times, places and people and you really had to concentrate.
I also felt that I'd missed bits of the plot & the ending left me feeling deflated. Disappointing
on 21 January 2016
I am really struggling with this book. I started this mid December and I still havent finished it, I dont like to give up on books but its a real chore reading it. I find it boring and I cant relate to the characters enough. It just jumps around all over the place, there seems to be lots of loose threads and I can mirror what others have said. I will continue with it as I only have a small piece to finish but I dont expect the last 50 pages to grab my attention.
on 21 November 2012
Don't read this if you don't want a spoiler!

This was another great book from Lesley Lokko, writing in her usual flashback and forwards style, set in numerous locations with lots of fabulous characters. However...

... what's with the ending or did I miss something? Is this the first of a two-parter? Who is Callan's father? What's the deal with Tara and the president? What does Hayley do when Ree wants a divorce? Did I miss some key information or are there lots of loose ends here? I'm disappointed as just spent the past hour finishing the book to find out what happened and now I'm confused! If anyone can answer my questions then please do!
44 Comments| 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 February 2013
I like the way the story is written with lots of different characters at the same time but the ending was very disappointing. It just stopped. So many loose ends. Who was Lindi's dad? Who was Callan's dad? How come Hayley needed rehab all of a sudden? Why was Annalise so hard faced and cold? So many why's and no answers.
I'm interested to see if any of Lesley's other books finish in the same way.
22 Comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse