Customer reviews

on 13 May 2012
I had never read anything by Graham Hurley until a couple of months ago. I love police procedurals and read them widely but somehow he had stayed off my radar until I decided to read Turnstone and was immediately hooked by the quality of the writing, his knowledge and obvious love for Portsmouth and the depth of the characterisations of the main personae.

I have now read all 12 of his Faraday novels and feel gladdened, exhilarated and also saddened. It has been a roller coaster ride and I am not afraid to say that I shed a few tears at the death and funeral of Faraday, the futility of his death and the sense of loss felt by his son JJ.

There are so many parallels throughout the series, the relationship between Faraday and JJ and in particular that of Winter and Bazza and Winter and Suttle and the writing is just that - subtle.

Happy Days squared the circle with the fate of all the main characters resolved perfectly and I felt a sense of closure as all the strands came together - a result of great plotting and craftsmanship by the author.

Well, what is next? I have to wait a while until the next Harry Bosch so I would welcome suggestions but it would have to be really good to match Mr Hurley's achievement.
on 14 August 2012
First a word of warning: if you have not read any of the other Faraday/Winter/Mackenzie books in this series, don't start here. To understand and appreciate fully this book you need the background on the relationship between the three main characters that have developed over the previous eleven books. If you have read the others you will find this a fitting conclusion to the series that had pitched two men against one with Winter swapping sides from the police to join Mackenzie's entourage. In the end something had to give and this book, and with Mackenzie standing for Parliament with his Pompey First party, Mackenzie found himself squeezed from too many directions. New detective Suttle is involved with the action of this book and provides the link to a new series set in the west country. Whatever happens with the new books, we will miss the main characters including the overcrowded city of Portsmouth.
on 10 February 2012
Having read all the Faraday/Winter books I think this is by far the best and the last in this series. It pulls all the strands of the other books together and the ending is to die for! The author has the ability to switch your reading of the central character seamlessly drawing you into the subsequent central character. A cracking read I can't wait for the new series!!
on 17 June 2013
We were lent one of this series out of sequence by someone who knew we had lived for quite a while in Pompey - I thought it was extremely good and very well-written - and I am not a police procedural fan as a rule. My husband was more non-committal, and we then read a second one out of order. Finally getting our act together we then read the whole series in sequence, which really does help your appreciation of the characters. Early on it became apparent that try though the author might to make Faraday the main character, Winter (and to an extent Bazza) hi-jacked the series. While I liked the fact that Faraday was not a horribly damaged prototype policeman, just an honest guy who did his best under difficult circumstances, I got irritated by his succession of easy female conquests (all of a type - clever, creative, madly independent - but then that is a very realistic observation - so many people are repeatedly attracted to a similar type,however unsuitable). I never warmed to his rather unpleasant son, who certainly made his father's life as a police officer extremely difficult with his various flirtations with unsuitable elements. Again, this was a clever piece of writing - not making the disabled person particularly lovable or even sympathetic. How the succession of women friends all instantly fell for him and discovered previously unfathomable talents, as well as seemingly being able to communicate despite no obvious knowledge of signing, was distinctly grating, however. As the series progressed, and Winter loomed ever larger, and Faraday's depression and disillusion were clearly signposted, (with some much later revelations about his backstory, including the implication that his first wife had virtually tricked him into marriage by not revealing her cancer)I felt that Hurley had little option but to take the course he did. Sadly, I felt hardly a flutter of woe about poor old Joe, but was seriously worried for Winter getting roasted, shot, or otherwise hideously maltreated. References continue to be made to all the characters in the new series, but I just kept hoping that the ghastly Gabrielle would get her come-uppance, or at least show some remorse and arrive a sobbing wreck. But no luck so far. It was a terrific series though, and none were ever less than page turners.
VINE VOICEon 17 February 2012
I rarely give five stars but this book (and the series as a whole) deserves no less. I won't give away anything about the plot except to say there is a lot of plot. I guess most people reading this will have read one or more of the earlier books in the series but if not then I would beg you not to start with this but to read all twelve in order. It's only the second month of 2012 so a little early to be awarding a book the title "Crime Fiction Book of the Year" so I won't. Instead I'll go much further. This is almost certainly going to be 2012's Novel of the Year !
on 25 May 2012
... to finish the Faraday series in this way, even if the politics thread of the plot was stupidly over the top. Graham Hurley's Faraday books are on a par with John Harvey's Resnick and mark them as being the best two crime writers of their generation in my opinion.
The two Faraday telefilms made by French TV were rubbish (surprising as there are umpteen crime series on French telly and they are mostly very good). I hope UK TV isn't tempted to have a go.
I can't see Suttle working out as Faraday Mk II - a far too uninteresting bloke.
on 14 July 2014
I have just read all 12 of the Faraday series. They are excellent with respect to plot and character and social issues and I highly recommend them for entertaining and gripping reading. However, I find the 'modern UK/American English' employed annoying. No grasp is apparent of the appropriate use of demonstrative pronouns (this, that, these, those, them) and general and particular articles (a, the) and the word 'such' as determiner, pre-determiner, & pronoun (he uses 'these' instead of 'such'). Such wording is appropriate when characters are speaking because it reflects how many people in the UK now speak (most having missed out on a reasonable grounding in English grammar since about 1970 in British schools). He is not on his own as all TV and Radio journalists and politicians make the same errors repeatedly as do most other modern writers. I would be delighted to provide free of charge a critical review of his next book to suggest appropriate corrections and amendments as it is apparent that the editor at his publisher does not or cannot do it.
on 11 December 2012
I stretched this one out, last in the series and I didn't want it too to end. I missed one star off as I was sorry that the whole story has finally ended.There was no way the plotline could end neatly, too many threads. Faraday's death flattened everything out, time ot move. I was suprsied that Bazza meet a low keyed end...but then would I have believed it of Grahma Hurley had Winter or Willard pushing Baz off the top of Spinnaker Tower...no of course not.
If you've read the series then this one is, of course, a must, if you've not read any of this series then go back and start at the beginning.
on 21 February 2012
I was lent a copy of "Price of Darkness", and after a slow start found myself enthralled.

So I went back to the beginning, and bought "Turnstone." Over the last six months I've read all twelve, and I finished "Happy Days" last night. It's reassuring to konw that we'll get a new book (perhaps the start of another series?) featuring Jimmy Suttle in his new job later this year.

"Happy Days" managed to end the series in a perfect way, right from the opening chapter until the last couple of pages.

Thank you very much Mr Hurley.
on 2 March 2013
I have now read the whole lot, started from the beginning ,m1st 2 or 3 were not great but then his writing just got better and better and better to the extent I couldnt put the later ones down! You can read them out of order as each is individual story but there is a thread to the characters which is much better if you read in the right order, this is the last one . iLife fast paced cleverly written thrillers type books and this police procedural has great stories and keeps you reading!