Format: Paperback|Change

on 24 August 2001
This is very different from Barker's other books - much grittier and more disturbing. Much of it is based around a fish farm, a setting I found bizarre, spooky, fascinating and plausible. The characters all ring true, and you care passionately about them from very early on and feel you know what it's like to be in their shoes. I loved every minute of this book and wish she would write more like this - in writing a thriller she didn't seem to be trying to do anything very unusual, but she did it perfectly.
on 2 July 2014
Disappointing. This was a poor novel albeit the storyline was good. I thought the construction of the novel was poor and It felt old fashioned and seemed to settle somewhere between a romantic novel and a mystery but neither genres was convincing. The only character who seemed believable was Mick but even he had some strange traits for a person of his limited schooling, background and hidden felonious activities.
It has certainly put me off reading any other books by Barker.
on 28 May 2014
Having read other books by this author, I thought it would be sn enjoyable, light read. However, the story was deeply uninteresting and to me coudn't see why this story was written.The characters were all unlikeable and the whole book appeared disjointed.
on 12 February 2009
Early Barker. A good story but I think I was spoiled as I read 'Hens Dancing' & 'Summertime' first, which are great, but nice story.
on 24 July 2015
Raffaella Barker's books are all a good read. I enjoy the autobiographical elements so good to start with her first book Come Tell Me Some Lies.