Earthfall (Earthfall 1)
Format: Paperback|Change

on 11 December 2017
Very pleased with item thank you.
on 19 October 2017
great story
on 8 July 2014
The author of the H.I.V.E series, Mark Walden, has turned his imagination to envisioning the coming of aliens to earth. 'Earthfall' is the first chapter about school boy Sam and his fellow survivors, who band together to create a renegade group, intent on thwarting the unwanted intruders to their planet.

From the opening chapter, the reader is thrust straight into the fight as our as yet unnamed hero battles against a drone-like creature - an octopus type object with deadly tendrils. This left me in no doubt that the rest of the book was going to be a rollercoaster ride for survival.

I thought Mark Walden did a really good job of depicting the world as its now become. The majority of humans have become Walkers, as Sam calls them and among them are his mother and older sister. There's quite a detailed and slightly complex explanation of events near the end of the book which provides a fresh perspective on things which have happened. This was a bit hard to follow at first but I gradually began to make sense of it all and found it fascinating.

I would have liked to have seen more of Sam's progression in the book, as his training was skipped over quite quickly. Although he's wily and tough from the beginning, I think after having been on his own for such a long time, that it would have taken him longer to adjust to being part of a group. It would also have been interesting to have found out more background to some of the other people that he joins up with.

'Earthfall' was a promising start to the series which will appeal to slightly younger readers, boys in particular. There's lots of action and excitement which will have them totally hooked!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 20 November 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Wow, this was a book that gripped me by the throat and dragged me into the pages as soon as I started reading. If you're not a YA reading this (like me; I'm the parent of a YA), it might be helpful to have one of these around when you, as there are certain terms that I had to look up.

Nicely descriptive with a skillful balance of gore, terror and a smidgen of dark humour. I must admit that I had to re-read a couple of sections to make sure I grasped some of the 'tech-speak' but then again, I am slightly older than the 'target' audience - I struggle with the instructions for my mobile phone!

Overall a good engaging read. Bring on the next one!
VINE VOICEon 5 December 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
What a great story! It's a middle grade book aimed at a younger audience but despite not being in the correct age bracket (not by a long stretch of the imagination) I was kept entertained to the end. I'll read anything that hints of an apocalypse and I just love a solid End Of The World story and that's exactly what I got with this. One of the things I especially liked about it is that it's set in London in present time, which isn't that common in apocalyptic fiction. I love post apoc even more if it's set in the UK so this one was off to a great start before I'd even turned a page.

Jam packed with Action, Adventure and Mystery. Throw in an alien apocalypse with only a handful of teens/pre-teen survivors and it's a winner no matter how you slice it. I just loved it so I imagine that it would be even more appealing to the target audience. I'm sure any fans of Charlie Higson's zombie series would lap this up.

I'd describe it as a mix of Independence Day and Falling Skies (both of which I love) and will probably appeal to both boys and girls alike as there are strong characters of both sexes in the story.

Sam, the main character is very likeable, as are the other survivors and the alien/mech creatures are suitably scary for the intended age group. There's plenty here to keep adults amused too though. It's a solid apocalypse story. The story is gripping and fast paced and there are enough little plot twists to keep things moving. It's thoroughly entertaining and overall a great read. I thought it was very good and am looking forward to the next in the series which I believe is in the pipeline. I'll definitely be reading it when it comes out.

Who would I recommend it to? Everyone, but if you know a reluctant younger reader with a taste for carnage and destruction in a world with no rules...this is the book to tempt them with.
on 16 April 2017
I received this book from Goodreads in exchange for an honest review, so here we go:

I absolutely loved this book, it was a rollercoaster ride from start to finish and I'm really looking forward to reading the second book in the series. The pace was fast, the characters well developed and very believable and the plot fascinating. The book grabs you from the very first page and does not let go. There are twists a plenty, some of them really knock you sideways. This book left me breathless and raring to get my hands on the next one in the series!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 12 December 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
After the resounding success of the Hive books, Mark Walden is back with a new series, this time with more sci-fi in the mix.

Walden's past profession as a video designer has a clear impact on his storylines, with lots of action scenes, a range of vivid characters and lots of twists and turns to keep the reader's interest. Yes, some elements may seem familiar to fans of Falling Skies and post-apocalyptic YA fiction but Walden's writing is engaging and fresh.

I'm not sure how many books will be in the series but one thing is sure, readers aged 10+ will be willing to take a break from their consoles to read this exhilirating story - now that doesn't happen too often!
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 14 November 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This book is one of the best books i have read in a while.

Its a childrens book but doesnt read like a childrens book if that makes sense.

This is about Sam, a teenager who lives with his mom and dad and older sister.

One day Sam wakes up and all the people in the world have turned into zombified drones, unable to speak or communicate and alien ships have landed in most of the major citys in the world.

18 months later, Sam is forced to live in the sewers to stay safe, only coming out at night for fear of being caught by the hunters, a robotic alien life force.

One day however Sam discovers that he is not as alone as he might think.

The story then turns into ALien vs Human action, the resistance fighting against them and what happens.

The big twist regarding Sam i didnt see coming and and the author has set the book up for a sequel which i am happily going to buy to find out what hapens next.

In my opinion Syfy should buy the options to this and turn it into a tv show, it would be fantastic.

I can already see someone like Taylor Lautner or Nathan Cress as Sam.

Would very happily recommend to anyone over the age of 10 as there is no sex scenes or swearing.
TOP 50 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 24 August 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This book is rich with spectacular but sinister technology with Grendels, Drones and Hunters on the attack, We are thrown headlong into the narrative of the adventure where a group of kids fight against An Alien force, our lead character survives, while his sister and mother are mysteriously turned into human androids, that are like puppets on string, All Sam can do is to go on the run. Trying to keep hidden from the savage weaponry that fills the streets and the skies above him, it seems that this is the best he can do. However, his luck eventually runs out and he is corned, only to be rescued by a group of kids who have also survived. With them, he trains to become part of an organised fight back, which is led by the all-powerful Dr Stirling. Why and how does Dr Stirling know so much? Sam discovers the truth in this gripping and at times gory story of survival.

There are thrills, spills, sophisticated gadgets, pursuits, explosions and at stake is, only, the whole planet. Earthfall is the start of a brilliant and thrilling new series from the creator of the very popular H.I.V.E. sequence. This is Teen, Speculative fiction at its best -enjoy!
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 12 July 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Have you ever read a book that you have never read but feel as though you have read it before?

With Earthfall, I kept getting this feeling, though it was probably more down to the genre of the book than about the content which is a survivalist, alien invasion, take over the world seen through the eyes of a teenager kind of book.

I couldn't help feeling `War of the Worlds', `Day of the Triffids', `Dr Who and the Cybermen' and `Survivors'.

I love Sci-Fi books, everything from Enders Game, anything Arthur C Clarke, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, The Forever War, Citizen of the Galaxy; these books have a sophistication that this book does not have, but yet it is still an entertaining read, if a little short.

As an adult book I would only be able to give it 3 stars because it is short and undemanding, but if it was actually aimed at the teen market it would deserve a 4 star rating. Therefore it gets the benefit of the doubt.