on 7 January 2018
Hannah is a relative newlywed who is anxiously waiting for her husband Mark's flight home from New York When all the flights from New York have landed at Heathrow and still no sign of Mark, Hannah starts to feel uneasy.

Eventually Mark gets in touch with a story that he's had a lot of bad luck in New York and won't be home for a few days. Initially believing him, Hannah is temporarily satisfied but has a growing sense of unease. Assuming he's with another woman, she starts investigating and even when Mark does appear home and she questions him, she delves further into his story. Confronting the woman she initially suspected Mark of having an affair with, she discovers Mark's secret. Is her mild mannered husband who she thought he was or is he hiding more than just this secret from her?

I did find that this book really kept my attention and at only 267 pages, I had it read in less than a day.  It also kept me guessing as my initial thoughts about what this book was about was all wrong.  Every time I tried to guess what would happen next, I was wrong and the twists and turns through the book kept me guessing right until the end of the book.  I had thought initially that this book was about a cheating husband who had a secret family hidden away somewhere.  As the story is revealed though, I began to realise that the story is a lot deeper and more sinister than a cheating spouse.

The story starts out as though Hannah has an enviable life and that she has found her happy ever after, but from the start there are hints that not everything is as it seems and the more Hannah finds out, the more her life crashes around her.  While I would say this book definitely starts out with a chick lit style and indeed throughout the book it has its roots firmly in the chick lit category, this is chick lit with bite and also dips its toe into the category of thriller.  The book gets more and more sinister as time goes on and towards the end of the book takes a twist that I genuinely hadn’t seen coming.  While I would say that this book has a few thriller elements, I don’t think that this is a book that would appeal to most males and it is too chick lit in it’s composition to appeal to most male thriller readers.

This was one of those books where I was slightly disappointed when it ended.  I loved the style of writing, the way the book flowed from chapter to chapter and the story really held my attention.  From Page 1, I wanted to read on to find out the story and kept coming back to the book when I had a spare minute (I even read this through my lunch break in work as I found it so addictive).  My only slight niggles were that, at 267 pages, it was quite short and the ending was a bit sudden.  However, neither of these spoiled my enjoyment of the book and I would have no hesitation in recommending this to anyone who is a fan of some chick lit but doesn’t want one of those stories where it’s all light and fluffy writing and everyone living happily ever after.  This is the darker side of chick lit.
on 7 October 2017
This book had me hooked from the start, especially enjoying the references to New York, of which I’m a huge fan of. I loved the way the plot twisted and turned, drawing you into lie upon lie, thread upon thread. I had worked out who the real killer was, but this did not detract from my enjoyment of the book and the final chapters of this enthralling story.
on 7 October 2014
When checking Reviews before making a purchase one does not want to see a precis of the whole book. In this case the media comments are helpful and ignoring those who had made a bad choice of book I found this a well written and gripping tale which can be read in a day or so - perfect if suddenly housebound. Dear old retired parents had two boys who developed in unimaginably awful ways, one much loved but wayward and the other difficult, challenging and jealous becomes a pathological liar and evil scheming psychopath but meeting the love of his life is his final downfall. A good read.
on 10 August 2014
'Before We Met' follows Hannah who is married to Mark and their marriage and the secrets that start to unravel. The book is fast paced and exciting and there is a twist however it was blindingly obvious to me so I knew what was coming. There are flashback scenes as well which are enjoyable. The characters are well written and likeable which made it a more enjoyable read. It does take a while for the plot to become clear but it was still a good read. I would recommend this as a good crime read, although not as surprising as I hoped.
on 26 September 2015
Slow start, I'll be honest. Maybe it was just me, and I'm so used to reading/watching American based media, but it was frightfully dull to hear about how rainy Heathrow airport - more or less the first location the events begin with. As the story unfolded, the characters delved into, I began to feel more and more hooked into finding out where Mark was, and why he was so late.

As the story goes on, more elements get added in, more characters begin to form the complexity of the story, questions arise and problems increase. I liked this book because it didn't just have a little twist at the end but it continued through the book turning back on itself again. Once one thing is admitted, more complexities make you say, 'Well hang on,...' and certainly for me, I couldn't move too far from the book for fear that something was going to happen....to who?

Read it, find out.

Seriously.
on 22 August 2015
Mark is supposedly on a business trip to New York, where he and his wife Hannah, of 8 months had met. Now living in London. Hannah goes to meet him at the airport but he fails to turn up.
When he finally does arrive Hannah learns that there is so much more to Mark that she never knew.
I can't say i was completely gripped by this story. It's an easy read however it was quite forgettable and did have to re read a few pages each time. I felt like it went through dips rather than being consistently good. I was actually surprised by the twist and thats why i enjoyed reading the last 10-20% of the story. I doubt i will read something else by the author.
on 30 July 2017
Brilliant
on 7 February 2018
Great story, I enjoyed this thriller, l like the way the truth slowly unraveled.
on 15 July 2015
Much better than her last book, The Bed I Made, this is far more interesting and much better written. No boring descriptions, just a well paced novel. I enjoyed it even though part of the ending was not a surprise.
on 27 August 2017
This book is filled with suspense throughout, there is always a new twist around the corner. An enjoyable summer read.