Customer reviews

This Is the Story of a Happy Marriage
Format: Paperback|Change

on 5 October 2017
The title of this book is misleading as only one chapter is devoted to the subject of marriage. The rest are chapters on Patchett’s personal experiences with for example, her dog, or her mother, or enrolling in a police academy, or judging the Best American Short Stories, and so on. I did like the chapter riding around America in a Winnebago and another on opening a book store, and a third about her close friendship with her friend who tragically died in her thirties, but most of the rest I skipped through searching for the one on marriage which finally came. It has a salient piece of advice: does your husband/wife make you a better person? If the answer is no, then best to get a divorce. If yes, then stick around.
All the articles are brilliantly written as one would expect when originally published in Vogue, Harper’s Bazaar, The Washington Post, Wall Street Journal and New York Times magazine among others. Perhaps it’s time I tried her fiction.
Freak Out!: My Life With Frank Zappa
on 6 June 2016
Ann Patchett's writing is so clear and down to earth. I particularly like her description of the trip in the RV.
on 23 July 2017
Very interesting well put together. Ann's route to her present life as author and book shop owner in essays written in her usual clear innovative way.
on 24 February 2014
I was hoping for essays that would engage me as reader. Unfortunately all that across was smugness. I love the essay genre but this is a poor example of essay writing.
on 31 August 2014
I think I could read Ann Patchett writing about almost anything and everything, which is exactly what this book is; a collection of her non-fiction articles. She is a brilliant writer - insightful, slyly funny and completely original. The articles (about road trips, police officers, to name just two) are intelligent and yet somehow cosy. If this doesn't make sense, read the book to see what I mean
on 16 July 2017
I chose this book because I was a Ann Patchett fan. I was so disappointed its just self indulgent meanderings. Not a story at all. Can't finish it.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 3 November 2013
THIS IS THE STORY OF A HAPPY MARRIAGE brings together several previously- published, and some new, non-fiction essays from beloved New York Times best-selling American writer Ann Patchett. Patchett, author of multi-prize winning Bel Canto and State of Wonder, here blends literature and memoir. In these essays, read in The Atlantic, Harper's, Vogue and the Washington Post, Patchett examines her life, looking at some of her nearest and dearest commitments: to family, friends, her husband Karl, her dog, and writing. As ever, Patchett's work is admirably terse, yet resonant, as the book stretches from her California childhood through her upbringing in Nashville, Tennessee, her unhappy first marriage, the flora and fauna of Tennessee, the hard, lonely grift of writing, and the fun of opening Parnassus, her own Nashville bookstore, simply because the town needed one.

The author's writing, six novels and two books of nonfiction, boasts sparkling " mots just," as the French would say: finds just the perfect words for the occasion. Let me just give you a quote from the book at hand here, which, as it happens, is the opening paragraph of her introduction:

The tricky thing about being a writer, or about being any kind of artist, is that in addition to making art you also have to make a living. My short stories and novels have always filled my life with meaning, but, at least in the first decade of my career, they were no more capable of supporting me than my dog was. But part of what I love about both novels and dogs is that they are so beautifully oblivious to economic concerns. We serve them, and in return they thrive. It isn't their responsibility to figure out where the rent is coming from.

The writer's novels are deeply imagined and researched: the two I've read, both set in South America, have been extraordinary. The fourth, BEL CANTO tells the story of an opera singer held hostage, along with several others, in an embassy in an unnamed country that sounds a lot like Peru during its Shining Path insurrection. Its writer here states that writing/researching it gave her her lifelong love for opera, a sublime entertainment of which she was previously ignorant. She expresses her gratitude for the present-day live HD opera broadcasts which many of us, not fortunate enough to live in major cities, have come to enjoy. STATE OF WONDER gives us an unknown Indian tribe along a tributary of the mighty Amazon River. The tribe has found herbal remedies in its surroundings, some of them unique and useful enough for whispers of their existence to have reached major American pharmaceutical companies.

BEL CANTO won both the PEN/Faulkner Award and the Orange Prize in 2002, was shortlisted for the National Book Critics Circle Award, and was named the Book Sense Book of the Year. It's sold more than a million copies in the United States and been translated into more than 30 languages. Luckily for me, my mystery book club read this book and thereby introduced me to Patchett, with whom, as a confirmed mystery reader, I was not then familiar. Loved BEL CANTO, absolutely loved it, but did not review it here, didn't feel competent to do so. But through the kind agency of Amazon Vine, I was able to read and review STATE OF WONDER here: like critics and viewers worldwide, I loved it. Loved, absolutely loved THIS IS THE STORY OF A HAPPY MARRIAGE as well. Thank you, book club, am so thankful to have made Patchett's acquaintance.
on 13 March 2015
This is a beautiful collection of short essays on writing and living from an inspirational writer. Each essay is gentle, thoughtful and evocatively written but perhaps my favourite was 'The getaway car', a memoir on writing for writers. This book is perfect for aspiring writers who like homely chats with their best friend who inspires them beyond measure. Patchett feels like your latest, bestest friend and you feel proud to know her.
on 28 January 2014
A book of inspiration personal essays - I read this book slowly as I didn't want to finish it. Ann Patchett's prose is simple, but cleverly written. She has a skilful turn of phrase without over-writing or being too 'flowery'. After finishing the book I felt as though I knew her. I would definitely recommend this book.
on 16 December 2014
I keep re-reading this. Absolutely beautifully written, profound, funny, truthful and moving. The sections where she talks about writing are incredibly powerful and resonant, and the essay about opening an independent bookshop moved me to tears.