on 11 March 2013
If you're looking for a book purely made up of different bread recipes then you may be better looking at Paul's previous book, How to Bake. In this book you get a bread recipe and a spin off dish for that bread. Personally I think this book expands nicely on the previous How to Bake book. I was given How to Bake for Christmas and have been baking bread religiously since, (be warned, once you home bake you'll never want supermarket bread again!), but after three months of sandwiches, rolls and toast overload, it's lovely to have this book show me new ideas and ways to incorporate the bread I make into meals for the family. A few examples from the book are the rye, ale and oat bread, which is followed by a plum and apple chutney recipe to go with your ploughman's. Stilton and bacon rolls and a celery soup. Malt loaf and then a marmalade and malt loaf pudding. There's some lovely pate recipes too.

As always with Paul, he's plain talking, very knowledgeable and explains everything beautifully, it really is like having him there with you when you're baking. There is an abundance of photo's in this book. Every recipe has a full page photo, and there's plenty of step by step photo's to help guide you through the making and baking. (which is incredibly helpful when you're new to bread making, don't necessarily know what things are supposed to look like, or how to do something, or actually, if you're just a visual learner.)

The book is divided up into:
Classic Breads (bloomer, rye ale and oat bread, stilton and bacon rolls, rye and spelt bread, trencher bread, malt loaf, and their accompanying recipes)
Soda Breads (soda bread, stout bread, crumpets, cheddar and rosemary scones, soft treacle parkin, and their accompanying recipes)
Flatbreads (pitta breads, curried naan with sultanas, maneesh, wraps, corn tortillas, and their accompanying recipes)
Continental Breads (mini baguettes, ciabatta, pizza base, pain de savoie, trio of biscotti, and their accompanying recipes)
Sourdough (sourdough starter, classic sourdough, basil and coriander sourdough, olive sourdough fougasse, white chocolate and raspberry bread, and their accompanying recipes)
and Enriched Breads (Danish pastry dough, savoury brioche couronne, Sicillian lemon and orange sweet bread, Satsuma and dark chocolate brioche, lardy cake, and their accompanying recipes)

Well worth purchasing in my opinion. I'm looking forward to watching the BBC television series to go with the book and seeing what Paul does next.
99 Comments| 250 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 12 April 2013
Having watched Mr. Hollywood on the television, it was a matter of urgency to obtain his book on bread. I found it both as mouthwatering as his finished products on the tv. The pictures are most instructive. Lovely book.
77 Comments| One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 16 May 2013
I really enjoyed the TV series and was so looking forward to the book. I've tried the bloomer - twice - and am trying the the rye and spelt bread - for the fourth and, and I suspect, final time. I can't get either of these recipes to work, even though I've cross checked them against the TV programme. The bloomer dough was a sticky mess and impossible to knead, eventually when I was able to bake it, it came out long and flat and a cross between a focaccia and a ciabatta! The rye and spelt dough wasn't much better, but when I eventually was able to get it into the oven, it didn't rise and looked nothing like the picture in the book. I'm bitterly disappointed, not to say out of pocket! Please, please, all of you who gave this lots of stars, could you try the recipes before you review. Unless of course, it is only happening to me after all. Sorry Paul, but I can only give it 1 star ... And the benefit of the doubt.
55 Comments| 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 24 February 2013
I have Paul Hollywoods 2 other books and I was dithering as to whether I really needed another one but I had a look at it in a bookshop (and yes I bought it there, sorry amazon but I still want shops in my street for retail therapy :-) ) and I love it. It's not what I expected at all, instead of just being more bread recipes it's a fab mix of breads and things that go with bread. Rye and spelt bread with a chicken and pistachio pate, malt loaf that can be made into a variation of bread pudding, stout bread with smoked salmon pate, cheddar and rosemary scones to go in a beef cobbler, curried naan with sultanas to go with a chickpea curry, maneesh with baba ganoush, ciabatta with panzanella, tartiflette pizza, pain de savoie with fondue, biscotti with hot mocha dipping sauce, basil and coriander sourdough with tomato and fennel soup, white chocolate and raspberry bread to go into a summer pudding with white chocolate cream, sicilian lemon and orange sweet bread to go in a limoncello trifle and thats just some of the lovely recipes. I love it and really wish I had more time to cook everything in it!
33 Comments| 146 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 6 May 2013
I make my own bread so I'm not a novice, so I could see at a glance that many of his recipes have far too much liquid for the quantity of flour. I've made the rye oat and ale bread and the malt loaf, and both have the consistency of cake batter so are completely impossible to knead. I've now got his bloomer on its first rise (too much liquid again and too much salt). I'll go back to my own tried and trusted recipe I think in future, or try a different book if I want different breads. I'm not surprised the contestants on bake-off struggled with the foccacia - it's probably impossible to get that much liquid in without having a sloppy mess.
33 Comments| 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 8 October 2016
Hated this book. It's a very eye catching production from the big man himself BUT......I've been scammed big time, it's nowt more than a regular fancy cookery book. It says on the front, Paul Hollywood's Bread so I naturally assumed it would teach me to make lots of different types of bread and sweet breads, by hand, that I would normally have to buy at the supermarket or bakers shop. BUT, it isn't anything like that, it has very little to do with making bread doughs, it's a total con, Paul ought to be very, very ashamed of himself. The book title is very misleading, there's just a small handful of bread recipes (I'm sure there were less than 12) and there are only 3 that everyday type bread bakers would use. They are the 'Bloomer Loaf', the 'Baguette' and the 'Ciabatta' breads. All the others take either days to make or are unlikely to be eaten in an ordinary household with children and fussy or healthy eaters. There wasn't even a wholemeal loaf or a 50/50 wholemeal!!! The book instead is packed with lots and lots and lots and lots.....of recipes for WHAT TO DO with the bread after its made, y'know like meals (designed to cause a heart attack) to make to eat it with etc.. Disappointed doesn't come near 'cutting' it, I was absolutely furious when I saw what he'd done and 2 days later I'm still angry..., the sheer nerve of the man and the £13 price tag for this rubbish is mind numbing. I've sent mine back for a refund already, I will never purchase a book of his again unless someone can tell me which one is a genuine bread and sweet bread making book. At some one else's suggestion in these reviews, I'm going to try a couple of Linda Collister books from the Bake It Better range of books.
on 18 June 2013
I have been baking most of the bread that my family eats for more than 50 years. Even though I bake loaves just one or two at a time now that I live alone instead of the half-dozen at a go three times a week that I once produced, baking my own bread is something I still enjoy, it is still the single easiest thing that I know of to do to save a big bundle of money on your grocery bill and I'm still always on the look-out for new recipes and new ways of doing things.

Back in early May I acquired a little Kindle sampler for the not-yet-available-in-the-US cookbook companion to the British TV show, "Food, Glorious Food." As luck would have it, even though episodes of "Food, Glorious Food" are available on the BBC website, you cannot watch them from this side of the pond. Youtube came to my rescue and while I was watching episodes of "Food, Glorious Food" I also discovered an episode or two of "Paul Hollywood's Bread", also from the BBC.

Paul Hollywood knows how to bake bread and he is very good at teaching too. Paul Hollywood's Bread contains the recipes from the show. It's been out in the UK for a bit, but only just made it to this side of the pond a few days ago.

Paul Hollywood's mission is not to teach baking to people who will be professional bakers, but to ordinary folk who have perhaps never even thought of baking bread. That focus shows in Paul Hollywood's Bread. You'll find no baker's formulas here and no kitchen math either. Pictures illustrating various techniques are frequent, large and well captioned. Directions are clear. The photography is mouthwatering - a full page picture for every recipe. Interestingly, while most US bread recipes call for a set amount of liquid and a variable amount of flour, Hollywood's recipes are exactly backwards - a set amount of flour and a variable amount of liquid.

The book includes recipes for thirty different breads, many of them unusual, each followed by a recipe that uses the bread initially produced to make something else - a Grilled Vegetable Picnic Loaf, an unusual topping for a beef stew, a Limoncello Trifle. (Lemons are in season and inexpensive right now, my fridge is full of them, so the Sicilian Lemon and Orange Sweet Bread is underway in my kitchen.)

Recipes are divided into six chapters - Classic Breads, Soda Breads, Flatbreads, Continental Breads, Sourdough and Enriched Breads. Each chapter contains recipes and techniques for five different breads. The top of my list tip - Paul's method for producing perfect Ciabatta. Most recipes call for no special equipment of any kind. Only one or two even require a loaf pan. Most recipes make just one loaf of bread.

Hollywood's recipes call for the same sort of instant yeast that I use in my kitchen. (I prefer Saf Instant Yeast) I find buying an entire pound far more economical than buying individual packets. Unused yeast can simply be stored in a container in the fridge for about a year or frozen indefinitely. Single packs are usually available at health food stores and co-ops, where you will also find the malt syrup called for in a couple of recipes.

Grandma's $0.02 - Whether you just think you might like to bake bread or have been turning out loaves for years like I have, you'll find easy new techniques and unique recipes in Paul Hollywood's Bread. Highly Recommended

UPDATE - I removed part of this review concerning ingredients & temperature conversions that is applicable only to the US market. Since the time that the book arrived I have become addicted to Hollywood's Ciabatta recipe - the dead easiest method I know of for turning out Ciabatta without a huge mess everywhere - and stunningly good.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 16 April 2013
I purchased this book as the title said "Bread" but find that there aren't a lot of bread recipes that I would use and didn't expect to see meals alongside the bread.

I thought that as the title said, it would be all about making basic breads etc.

I tried the bloomer recipe and it states 10g of salt, that seemed an enormous amount and when I tasted it I could really taste the salt.

So, I am very disappointed with it.
22 Comments| 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 8 January 2017
A great book for beginners. The instructions are very clear and all the equipment you need is explained in the introduction, which also includes lots of information about the various ingredients and techniques for kneading/proving etc. Some of the recipes are more difficult, including sourdough, Danish pastry, ciabatta and brioche. Others far less so, like the classic bloomer, soda bread and pitta bread. Pairing the breads with other recipes to create meals is a brilliant idea. Some of them I'd try, others not. It's not like we don't have any idea what to eat with bread already, but the recipes offer some inspiration to try new things, or tweak a recipe we already know.

The book is broken into 6 sections: Classic, Soda, Flat, Continental, Sourdough and Enriched. Each contains at least 5 recipes for bread, except for sourdough, which has 4, plus the recipe for making a starter. Then there's at least 1 recipe to turn your bread into a meal. Some of them have 2. How anyone can complain that this book isn't about bread is beyond me. There's nearly 30 different recipes for bread alone.

I'm a complete novice to bread making. In fact, the very first time I tried it was to make pitta breads. I used this book. I got a perfect rise from 3 out of 4 individual breads. Pretty well satisfying, I can tell you. The second thing I tried was the bloomer, and whilst not perfect, a pretty decent attempt with a lovely flavour and texture. The household demolished it before sun down.

This book was a Christmas present to myself, but actually for the whole family. I'll keep at it and get better and better. We'll all be enjoying the fruits of that and I find this book so easy to understand. It's just the experience I need now. Great job Paul Hollywood!!
on 13 November 2013
A bread-maker for over thirty years, I still found this book useful and informative - especially concerning the history and evolution of the baker and his skills.
Well written in good literate, easily, comprehendable English it is filled with beautiful pictures, the combination of which makes for an informative book foboth the novice and the experienced baker.