TOP 500 REVIEWERon 11 March 2016
This hard copy has been revised and re-issued in a 2015 soft copy edition. My review is on the 2015 edition page.
on 6 June 2011
What a lovely book!! So sensible, logical, interesting. Wish I had the time to sit and read it from beginning to end in one sitting; as it is, I am "treating" myself to a few pages each day. No home should be without this book.
on 3 June 2013
Perhaps the hardest read I've ever tackled. I've had it over a month and have only managed to conquer two pages. You'll see why if you feel like reading it. I'm not saying it's not good........... I like to be challenged when I grapple with a book, but there are limits even to MY patience. But It remains in my Kindle and I'll keep at it....... small nibbles might be the way to go.
on 19 January 2016
Books are like friends but this book is like a best friend.
on 19 August 2011
Some parts of this book are quite good. Unfortunately much of it is dull or seems irrelevant. I can't help feeling that quite a lot of the content is there simply to mirror the content of The Bible, without any thought as to whether or not it can actually enlighten. I wouldn't really recommend trawling through the dross to get to the good bits.
on 30 April 2011
The LAST thing non-believers needed when defending their corner and holding off the recent criticism that Atheism is a religion was scripture. Not to mention this book is just awful.
It makes very little sense for the most part and it is really just a rip-off of what Thomas Jefferson did Centuries ago removing the miracles of the Bible and keeping the moral teachings. This book was unnecessary and is not even useful.

I would not buy this book if I could turn the clocks back and I most certainly will not read it again.
on 6 May 2011
I was so looking forward to reading this 500 page book from Professor Grayling.Someone I greatly admire. I know I'm not intellectually in his league but I'd say I was of above average intelligence and yet I struggled to understand half what was said.Although the book is compiled from many sources the purpose of word is to communicate to readers - this the book in large part fails to do satisfactorily for me. I read sections of it several times to attempt to understand the meaning but usually to no avail.That doesn't mean ,of course, that it isn't a great work necessarily - its just that I found that so many parts of it seem capable of different interpretations .I like to read brilliant persons thoughts and observations conveyed clearly and unambiguously to me as the reader - and not have to put my own interpretation on their words. Mind you I have a similar problem with parts of the Bible, and people often interpret that in various ways.
on 4 May 2015
A must read for any 21st c thinker.
on 21 February 2013
THIS TOO MUCH RESEMBLES THE BIBLE IN FORMAT SO THERE ARE MOMENTS OF INERTIA AND RATHER DEADLY PROSE WHICH I HAVE TO SAY IS NOTHING LIKE AS FASCINATING, THOUGHT PROVOKING OR CHALLENGING AS HIS OTHER BOOKS WHICH I LOVE
on 20 April 2011
I used to have faith in Dr Grayling's judgement and wisdom. This is why I am so sad to see him having succumbed to his vanity, i.e. the temptation of styling himself NOT as compiler, adaptor and co-author but - of all things - MAKER of this King James Bible pastiche. How could he believe for a moment that even his friends - let alone his critics - would or could take his endeavour seriously if he linked it so prominently with his own brand rather than putting himself behind or at least just in line with the many sages and philosophers he indirectly quotes?
The editors of the real bible were anxious to substantiate their authority with countless annotations and references. How could he not reference the many indirect quotations in this text? Has he forgotten his sources, was it too much work or did he hope that we will take his words as gospel?
I have given back my copy and I recommend you do the same. His authority with me - even on Radio4 - has suffered greatly with this revelation but I will consider picking up the good book again if he should bring to humble himself a little in future editions.