on 1 September 2017
I saw a lot of hype on this book and my friend Den recommended it to me so I decided to pick it up. And I have seen a lot of discussion on the possibility of there being a slave/master relationship and it's a very difficult concept in this book as there's so much more to it than that, however if you are not a fan of a slave/master relationship be careful with this book, it isn't exactly that type of thing but certain parts could trigger you.

Paige is a clairvoyant in London, 2059 where it is illegal to be a clairvoyant. She works for the criminal underworld as that's all she can really do without risk of being caught, though it comes with it's risks regardless. One day she's unlucky enough to be on a train with a raid and gets caught. But instead of dying she is taken to Oxford, which has been the home of aliens called Rephaites for 200 years as they've been gradually taking more clairvoyants.

This book was super complicated, it felt like I was reading a high fantasy even though it was more sci-fi/dystopian/paranormal, but for all the different jargon and terms I had a hard time remembering what everything was. The world building is incredible an there's so much in it that it really does feel like it's own world and not a variance of our own world but it is a bit hard to wrap your head around at times. It did take me about half the book to figure out what the deal was, though I don't know if that was because I was reading it in Asia or not.

Whilst I remembered the main characters easily enough there were a lot of side characters and I found it really hard to remember who each of them were. Especially once Paige had moved to Oxford.

Whilst there was no romantic relationship between Paige and her owner, Warden, in this novel I could see it being built up which kind of annoyed me because it's not necessary to always have a relationship just because they're the main 2 characters. Never mind the fact that their relationship is so complicated, him being her owner after all. But as you go through the novel you find out that things are even more complicated and Warden isn't exactly like the rest of his kind. This obviously doesn't nullify the problematicness (is that even a word?) of the relationship being in fiction with the past the world has had with slave and owner relationships. I think it's up to you where you stand on the issue, I've had POC friends find it really offensive and some who have adored it.

I'm scared to jump into the next book because I'm currently not really in the mood to read it but I worry if I leave it too long I'll forget everything that happened in this book.
on 14 March 2015
I enjoyed the premise of the story. However, sometimes it's execution seemed clumsy / long winded and a tad self - aware.

To break down some of the elements I liked and others that quite frankly irritated the hell out of me.

The main character became very irritating to me during the latter stages of the novel; I felt that the author had succumbed to letting the character make choices that didn't quite "fit" with the personality to move the story on. She became petulant and almost illogical at one stage making the most childish irrational decisions in order to bring about a 'bit of drama.' Whereas previously, she had been shown to be thoughtful, aware of peoples motivations and adaptable to her changing circumstances.

The love interest - whilst you could see it coming a mile off was a nice slow burn and I think that this was down to how he was depicted. I've always been one for the silent type so his "showing rather than telling" depiction was really appreciated. He also has so far to develop / show that I think he would become one of my favourite fictional characters in the future.

One thing which drove me to distraction - was the authors need to try and impress with her vocabulary - sometimes it just seemed so leaden and entirely obtuse - lending nothing to the prose other than an "Oh, I'm so clever.... look at me" which I found ripped me from the story. There were also other occasions when I wasn't certain if it was a case of kindle dictation not hearing a word correctly. "Lattened" against a wall - well did the author mean that they were 'flattened' as I noticed a missing "f" a few sentences on - or did she really mean that they were pressed against the wall as thin as metal sheets? If so - what the hell was wrong with flattened?

I'm not sure if I will read the next book in the series - primarily because if a book grabs me it does not take me 5 days to finish it. I'm disappointed because I feel that this could have been so much more - if for perhaps a stronger editor and less 'self aware' tone.
on 25 August 2017
3.5 stars. I went into this thinking it was YA and have since discovered it’s actually classed as adult fantasy. I think in reality it’s probably a good crossover from one to the other – the protagonist is 19, so the older end of YA – there’s more complicated worldbuilding and moral grayness than a lot of YA fantasy (though I can think of YA example with both of those things as well), but the plot has a lot of familiar elements and themes a YA reader will feel comfortable with.

I really enjoyed the setting, a mix of Victoriana and futuristic elements with a seedy, gritty feel to it that portrayed the main character, Paige, and her life very well. Paige was strong and resourceful, with a confidence in herself and her abilities and a fierce vein of anger and injustice which fuelled her throughout the story. The side characters, at least the human ones, were intriguing and complex. But while the Rephaim certainly had a sense of otherness and being able to understand them too clearly would have lost that, they did often feel a bit of a stretch too far for suspension of disbelief – like pantomime monsters, at times, particularly (if I can say this without getting spoilery) the way they treated the humans in their city – it seemed counterproductive, evil for the sake of evil.

There was a lot of info-dumping in the first few chapters which really stalled my ability to get invested in the plot. Partly it’s a result of the complicated magic system – I’m sure it could have been simplified, or at least the broad shape of it fed to us with details coming where they were needed. After that things got interesting, with danger and intrigue and betrayal or the prospect of I on every side, and I was keen to see how it played out. I think the romance was unnecessary, and didn’t fit with the story or the characters – not that I can’t see them together but the way it happened. Maybe rushed would be a better word – it could work but needed a lot more development. The later books in the series might flesh it out a bit more, I suppose. Overall, it did feel very much like the first book in a series.
on 22 August 2017
Somewhat predictable in terms of plot development. Characters not particularly engaging. Stopped half way through as I really couldn't care what happens to the characters. I feel unfortunately that this book is over hyped.
on 16 March 2017
I decided to re read Bone Season and Mime Order before I devour Song Rising and if anything I enjoyed this more the second time. The characters are believable in a world so fantastical Samantha Shannon has created a jewel in the crown on YA literature!
on 18 June 2017
One of my favourite book series.
on 1 August 2014
I was really looking forward to reading this book. All the hype surrounding this book and the next six books got me excited, not to mention a possible film.

The first few pages where confusing. The author was busy building the fantasy world and in my opinion was not character building. I spent the first 61 pages hoping that things would improve enough, that I'd make a connection with Paige but I didn't. So now I'm left not wanting to read on.

From what I've read about the author she is straight out of her degree. Throughout the 61 pages I've managed to read, she is focused on giving you all the information about this world even at the cost of readers not knowing what the heck is going on. The characters fail to come through all this as there aren't many to start with. I didn't manage to understand who Paige was as a person because there was no time for that.

I haven't not finished a book for years but I feel this will have to be the first. Normally, by the first few chapters I feel a connection of some kind. Whether it be with the characters or the subject. I have been reading this as if it were a chore and it has been heavy going. I would not recommend this book.
on 23 November 2013
There was too much hype about this book. Thankfully I only downloaded it for 99p do didn't waste the cost of a paperback. I'm afraid I only read the first couple of chapters and gave up. It is confused and rambling. Impossible to see the 'family trees' or whatever they are at the beginning on kindle. I was uninterested in the story and the characters and can't understand how a) it got published b) was not given a complete edit c) was given so much hype.
It has the quality of an unedited rambling self published work, in fact many self published works are much better than this.
Many people will buy this book as it has received a lot of publicity and many great reviews but in my view these are undeserved.
on 29 March 2015
Fans of The Hungers Games and the Divergent series would most likely love this book, I did. The concept of Scion's and the Rephaim were different enough from the aforementioned books to make it different but on a similar theme of a post apocalyptic,dystopian world.
I look forward to reading The Mime Order
on 7 March 2017
I read this book after seeing it advertised on audible but the reviews recommended reading the book rather than listening to it.
Well I tried, I stuck to it through thick and very thin. What a confused plot. A plot that could have been brilliant but lacked extreme logic. Maybe it's me but I had difficulty understanding the sense of this book but this book is left hanging on the cliff with the main characters on a train back to London into uncertainty. So do I read the next one or not?