Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 4 September 2013
I don't know where to start with this review. I have a problem with words when it comes to All Our Yesterdays, because it was so bloody awesome that it left me speechless. I bloody love time travel. I cannot express my love, even with swear words. There are no words.

The beginning drew me in immediately because we're introduced to Em, who is stuck in a cell and has been tortured, and we're made to wonder how she got there, who the guy in the cell next door is, who the doctor is, what's so special about the bloody drain... The list goes on. It's mysterious and intriguing and totally captivating right from the get-go.

The action kicks off immediately, and as a lover of all things that that one word entails - from fight scenes to shoot-outs to epic getaways - I am pleased to announce that the fast pacing and amount of action stays steady the entire way through.

I also loved it when the time travel begins, and we're taken to the past. I'm not going to say much because you definitely do not want to be spoiled for this book, but it was great to be able to get two different perspectives of two girls who have had very different experiences.

Throughout the book, Terrill throws in small clues that imply that Marina's world is very different to ours. If you pick up on those, then you'll know something is amiss, but you won't be able to figure out what that is. I wasn't sure what I was dealing with, to be honest!

Em was my favourite out of all the characters. Marina's story was great, but Em's character is just flawless. She's such a badass, and yet she's still loving and caring and she has a soul.

Finn, on the other hand, could have used a bit more development but it was understandably one sided since the story is told from just Em's and Marina's point of view. I loved Finn, though. His sarcasm was A+, and it worked really well with Em's personality. But still, when crap hit the fan, he didn't mess around.

I honestly wasn't sure as to whether or not I shipped Em and Finn at first since in the beginning you're kind of just thrown in and they're already in love and have been through so much. But in a weird way you get to see build up, and also how much they adore each other. They also have a boatload of chemistry, which always helps.

All Our Yesterdays also deals with the concept of soulmates. I love that kind of stuff, as long as it's not overly sappy or cheesy. When soulmates are done right, they're fabulous. I love the thought of always finding each other, no matter which life or world you're in.

I also really liked the villain in this, and I think this is one of the few books that offers a unique perspective on its villain. I'm not going to say anything more than that, because I want you to be more surprised than I was. Just know that I love how Terrill dealt with the villain, and the story there was brilliant.

There were also twists, which is always a good thing. I love being shocked, and while I did know some of the ~secrets~, I wasn't expecting some of the stuff that was revealed.

The last fifty or so pages were too much for me. I had to keep putting the book down because it was so suspenseful. I just didn't know what was going to happen in the epic climax/showdown. And what did actually happen shocked me. I wasn't expecting it in the slightest, and when stuff started to go down I had to fight to be able to see past the tears. I'm totally not emotionally stable enough for these types of books.

After the way All Our Yesterdays ended, I was rather worried it would be a standalone and I spent a good half an hour crying over that fact alone. But, all was not lost, because Cristin's blog and Debby have assured me that there's going to be a sequel. I have no idea how a sequel is going to play out, but I think Cristin will be able to pull it off marvellously.

Until then, I'll have to fight off the urge to do a monthly re-read. I'll have to make it bi-monthly instead.

If you're a fan of action-packed science fiction, then I would definitely recommend reading this book. I can't recommend it enough, actually, and I'm not even sure if my review did it justice at all.
on 13 August 2013
When you hear "Science Fiction", do you think of television series such Star Wars or Doctor Who?, or literature works like Philip K. Dick's Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? (later to be adapted into the film Blade Runner)? I do.

But when I picked up debut author Cristin Terrill's novel of time-travel, All Our Yesterdays, I wasn't expecting to start reading what is, quite simply, a love story.
Terrill captured me with the classic in medias res by starting the story with Em, a fierce, feisty and passionate young woman who has been captured by who we only know as "the doctor". I asked all the questions I'm sure Terrill wanted me to: why has she been captured? Who is "the doctor"? How will she escape? And because of this, I was unable to stop turning the pages in my quest to find the answer.

I next met Marina, a teenage girl who, like most of us at the tender age of sixteen, has a desperate need to love, be loved, and belong. She speaks in a fresh, unfettered and most importantly, normal voice that lacks the somewhat "flowery" poetry that I've come across in a lot of YA novels, instead making plain, bold statements that have the power to make you laugh and fall in love with her instantly. Em is very similar with her slightly older, significantly wiser and yet still bluntly honest narrative, and the two of them take you on a journey that is so honest and true to humanity that I'm sure I won't forget it for a long time.

One of the things I loved most about All Our Yesterdays is that Terrill was able to take such a simple idea and put her own, wildly entertaining and well-thought out spin on it. Many of us would love to go back and change the world as we know it, and when I finished this book, one of my first thoughts was that I'm surprised nobody has taken this angle already. The complicated plot is cleverly masked with normal, human rites of passage such as learning to love yourself, learning to accept love in any form, and accepting that even though the past may cause us trouble in the future, our inability to change it means that we have no choice but to learn from it. A very simple lesson which is taught to us in a funny, heart-wrenching, exhilarating journey with three friends that I'm sure in one way or another, anybody could identify with. Definitely a must-read.
VINE VOICEon 16 December 2014
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a stunning debut book and this author really has talent.

I loved all the characters and each one, even the bad ones, had reason behind what they were doing and why and you couldn't help feeling even for them, truly believing they were doing the right thing.

Finn is a wonderful character, one of those guys who is loyal and funny, one who can lift you from the depths of the deepest despair, but knows when to be comforting and serious and Em is strong and courageously determined. The book is set in the past, future and present, but the flow of the story makes it easy to read and I did not get confused by the varied time lines and paradoxical science of time travel, which is quite a skill of the author to be able to tackle such a complex theory so well.

Em and Finn are time travelers whose job it is to "set right what once went wrong" to quote Quantum Leap, but we find them initially locked in cells, undergoing terrible torture to extract information from them and the story goes from there.

It is a truly gripping read from start to finish and you will not want to put it down... you may even shed a tear or two (I did).

I recommend it from about the age of 12 and upwards (maybe younger if you have a child who is a competent reader).
on 11 August 2013
Em is locked in a cold, dreary cell. A drain in the middle of the room her only focus point. Next door is Finn and it is information they both have that the doctor wants to know. That information is the only reason both are still alive.

Em and Finn have to escape. Go back and set things right. They have one last chance to do this.

The world depends on it.

All Our Yesterdays is one of those books you really can't say too much about. Which is completely devastating when all you want to do is gush about how amazing it is to anyone who will listen.

Em and Finn are two of the most compelling characters I have ever read. They balance one another - Em focused and purposeful, Finn light-hearted and jovial in the face of great trials. These two pulled me in and didn't let go.

This is the kind of book where your eyeballs trip over themselves trying to read too quick. I devoured this book like I hadn't read in years and didn't want it to end. I absolutely adored it and I need, need, need the sequel.

Read it immediately. It will be one of the best you read this year.
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I actually really loved All our Yesterdays. It is fast paced and exciting with some brilliant ideas. I loved how the story flipped backwards and forwards between the past and present meaning I had to start piecing together the story for myself. I particularly enjoyed seeing how the two stories were woven together and I loved the time travel element to the story. I I love a good YA title with a time travelling element.

What I found particularly fascinating about this story was what it had to say about fate and whether someone is destined to follow a certain path. I liked seeing how this played out within the story and how it affected their actions. A quick mention needs to go to Finn as I loved him as a character.

A fab read which I really really enjoyed
VINE VOICEon 30 August 2013
I absolutely loved this book for the first 50%, then I got annoyed with it getting repetitive and them not being able to complete their mission. (Sorry, I have to be vague as I don't want to give anything away as it is still worth a read.) I'll get the worst bit out of the way with that!

The characters were described brilliantly; not only were they believable, but I cared for Em and Finn and their developing relationship. I also thought that Terrill dealt with the paradoxes in time travel very well. An important issue was addressed in a way that was not confusing and made sense.

The end of the story did leave me with a bit of a lump in my throat as it is beautifully written also. Highly recommended.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 16 September 2014
I LOVED this one, much more than I thought I would, it was a fast paced rollercoaster of a read with an intriguing premise and terrific execution.

Em and Finn know they have to escape their prison, through time…and prevent a catastrophe. How often they have attempted this remains unclear – but in order to save our future they must make some difficult and emotional choices and face very real danger..

I loved how this one was constructed – taking viewpoints and different timelines but never confusing and always giving you pause for thought – involving some terrific characters you will come to care about and some truly ingenious bad guys – it is almost impossible to put down once you start.

The world building is superb, looking as it does at what might happen should time travel suddenly become possible – especially if it ends up in the wrong hands. There is also some terrific and intelligent character building and progression as Em and Finn begin to realise the truth of what they may have to do. I also liked how the author used grief as a starting point for one major character and how it changed him over the course of time, from genius to evil genius. There are also themes of redemption and moving on here that are cleverly woven into the complex yet highly addictive plot. Overall a most terrific read.

The planned sequel is now not going to happen – and I for one am actually pleased. Whilst I loved the time I spent with Em, Finn and co I thought this had an almost perfect syncronicity and although there are more stories that COULD be told, the heart of it is complete. So sadly I will leave them behind me, having had a brilliant, fast paced, well written adventure in time.

Highly Recommended.

Happy Reading Folks!

**Source: Purchased copy from Local Bookshop**
on 2 August 2013
I've settled to give this book 4 and a half stars and I have to say I'm still tempted to give it 5 stars.

Making sure this review is as spoiler free as possible might be difficult, cause this is a book I'll love to talk about for a long time, but I don't want to spoil the experience of wondering, pondering and passing pages frantically not being sure what to expect of it!

All Our Yesterdays is about time travel, it's not all about the science behind time travel or the discovery of time travel, though we do get a plausible enough explanation with enough science to make you understand and make it believable, but it's more about our choices in life, and what would be do to save the future.

The book starts with Em and Finn in prison, and Em obsessed with the drain in her prison cell. There she finds a list of all the things she's done before to change the present by going back to the past and didn't work, and the one thing that she and Finn need to do, their last chance at making sure the horrible world they are living in doesn't happen.

The narrative keeps on changing back and forth, from the present to the future, to the past, and going from one character to another, but it is never confusing, it just manages to keep you captivated and wondering. I kept on turning pages and wondering if they'd change the future and how, cause every event kept on changing what had happen before and what might happen in the future...

There is romance in the book but it is not the wirldwind one that swepts you off your fit, it's the one built through hardship, companionship & friendship, it's the kind romance that gives that extra spark when the going gets rough and that helps you see there might be a light at the end of the tunnel.

Cristin Terrill wrote a fantastic book, very well rounded and that will make you want to devour and savour it, all that the same time. And after finding out there's a sequel, and I'm quite anxious to see what new twists and turns she'll have in store for us!
VINE VOICEon 15 November 2014
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I'll be honest. I've got The Hunger Games books and yet never so much as opened the first one. Furthermore I've never got around to the films. So the comparisons made to that by people to this debut novel by Cristin Terrill are lost on me. What I can tell you is that this was a very good book which really gripped me from start to finish.

It's very difficult to give a true flavor of the storyline without giving too much away, and the beauty of the story are the twists and turns it takes you through. Twists and turns that are improbable at times and even seemingly impossible in some cases, but are gripping and logical in the world in which it is set. It's set in "the future" and this is a future where life has changed beyond all recognition and virtually all our freedoms have disappeared too. The tale largely revolves around Marina and Em. Marina is a naive teenage who has led what you could call a sheltered life; Em is older, more weary and more battle-hardened.

There is a surprising amount of violence and violent acts, but the majority of these are left to the imagination and it's the bruises and the after effects that paint the picture of what has gone on. One of the most impressive things about the book is how lean it is. Everything we see and read matters. There are no great lengthy pieces that seem to exist just to show us that the author can write.

One minor criticism I did have is that some of the supporting cast seemed "cookie cutter" like, as if not as much thought had gone into fleshing them out.

Overall though I was very impressed and would certainly look to seek out more from Cristin Terrill.
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
A science fiction novel for young adult readers. Ideal age would be fourteen and up, since there are a couple of bits of strong language. Some adult themes and scenes of torture [being heard but not seen] and a few bits of violence.

It runs for three hundred and sixty two pages and is divided into forty chapters.

It is seemingly self contained, but other reviews mention there will be a sequel, so it may be the start of a series. But it's not billed as such.

All the chapters are narrated in first person present tense.

There are two different narrators, though, and the chapters alternate between them. Some chapters do alternate scenes between them also.

It starts with Em. A girl who is imprisoned. Desperately wishing to see Finn, the young man in the cell next to her. And who finds a note with a very important message from a recognisable source on it.

This first chapter is harsh reading at times but it keeps enough information to be gradually revealed in order to hook the reader and leave you wonder what's going on.

Which is that Em and Finn are going to go time travelling.

Then in the next chapter we meet the other narrator. Marina. Her scenes are taking place four years before chapter one. She's a privileged and wealthy girl who has a major crush on James. Smart son of another family who has developed into a very handsome individual.

Em and Finn's lives are about to collide with those of Marina and James. Because to save the world, someone is going to have to die....

And that's pretty much all you can say about the plot without spoilers. That and the fact that time travel is involved. The book does consider carefully what might happen if people from the future did something that would change the past. And a few other possible time paradoxes. It's very clever in the writing and very well handled, and you should never feel confused whilst reading it.

All this plus decent prose is enough to keep you hooked for at least the first third, wondering what will happen next and then gradually having your questions answered in a satisfying manner.

Once everything is clear it does for a while enter more familiar thriller territory. It threatens to sag for a short while but never quite does. Your patience will be rewarded by sticking with it though because everything does come together in the end in a very satisfying manner. Leading to a very memorable ending.

In addition to being about time travel though it's also a very solid character drama. All the lead characters are pretty three dimensional and very believable. There's also a few central themes. About the choices we make and how they effect us and others. Also about how people change over time. This is pretty thought provoking stuff at times.

A very good piece of writing and a satisfying read. Well worth a look. If you're fourteen. Or older.