Customer reviews

Steve Jobs The Man Who Thought Different
Format: Paperback|Change

on 4 June 2016
it's a story I know well, but I enjoyed the extra details, and reliving through the book, the hard work of a rightly well loved man. He captures the frustration of working with and for SJ, his genius and self belief, I enjoyed this book!
on 29 December 2013
I don't read much so I'm in no position to really comment on the quality of writing here. I did however find this book quite compelling. I think it's a good representation of a extremely driven, talented, individual, who was unfortunately found wanting in some areas if his personality. Is this inevitable however in someone of such focused genius?
on 26 August 2017
Interesting,inspirational and very enjoyable
on 18 November 2016
Great read.
on 16 December 2012
I bought it because it was on the list of my book club. Although I did not like Mr. Jobs very much I really liked the way his story was told. Not being technological I found everything very clearly explained regarding the products and also the human relationships were well described. I found myself reading bits of it out loud to whomsoever would listen and have now bought it as a gift for my son as a result of gaining his interest inthis way.
on 4 November 2013
I hadn't known Steve Jobs history so it was interesting to read where he came from and where he went to. Of course I knew his ending before I bought the book. Sad that a genius died in his prime. As for him as a person, I'm not sure whether I like him or not. A flawed character, but then aren't we all? I think it's fine being flawed but it's when your inabilities affect others, that's not the right way to go.

I have people I look up to. People like Bowie, Keith Richards. I can't see myself looking up to Steve Jobs in the same way.
on 22 April 2012
I'm writing this review on my MacBook Pro, whilst listening to music on iTunes. My iPhone sits beside me and my mum is currently using my iPad. I love Apple products and I use them everyday - in fact, I'd feel lost without them. Most of you will either own at least one of Apple's products, or know somebody who does. Even if you don't, you surely must've watched or heard of a Pixar film, such as Toy Story or Finding Nemo. It's pretty clear what sort of impact that Apple and Pixar have had on the world of technology today.

I'm a huge fan of Apple, and as soon as I heard of the biography, entitled Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson, I really wanted to pick it up and read all about the company. However, as much of a fan as I am, there was, to simply put it, no way that I was going to read a 600-750 page biography. The book is huge and I'm afraid that I just wouldn't have the patience to read it all - I was intimidated by it. When I was told by Bloomsbury that Karen Blumenthal had written a biography that was aimed at the 'iPhone texting, white-headphone-listening, iTunes downloading generation', I absolutely pounced at the chance to read it. At a much more digestible 320 pages (including photographs) and straight to the point, this gave me just the insight that I wanted into Steve Jobs and Apple's life.

I admit that at the start of the book, I wasn't really getting into it. I think that this was partly because I was learning things that I didn't really know about Jobs - he certainly had a bit of a dark side and was quite fiery, but not in a very good way. I think that it's fantastic that Blumenthal did include all of those harsher details though, as it helped me to get to know what Jobs was really like behind the scenes. I went from somebody that, before opening the book, admired Jobs and his creativity, to taking quite a strong dislike to him. However, I came to understand that he was young, he had a strong personality and was determined. Although he wasn't always the most socially acceptable, he had faith in himself and what he was doing, something to admire. I'm glad to say that when I hit the half-way part of the book, I had learnt why he was acting the way he did and began to honour him a lot more. I felt as though Blumenthal was giving him a fair representation, showing both his good and bad sides - of course nobody is perfect.

I thought it was really interesting to see how both Jobs and his companies progressed. It was inspiring to see that although Jobs did hit a lot of difficulties, he still kept going and wasn't afraid to take many risks. I also learned a whole lot things that I had no idea about before reading the biography, some facts were really quite surprising. Alongside the facts about business and technology, particularly towards the end, we learned more about how Jobs dealt with the news of his very poor health and the fact that he had cancer - it was incredibly heartfelt, and I was shedding a tear by the end. It's so sad that such a hugely creative mind is no longer with us, but through learning about him and his products, I'm sure that Apple will still have even more genius to unveil.

Steve Jobs once said "Your time is limited... have the courage to follow your heart and intuition" - no other words could be more appropriate to his actions in his, sadly shortened, life. Blumenthal has done his story justice though, and has certainly made me want to abide by his words of "stay hungry, stay foolish." A fantastic biography, for both teenagers and adults alike, that I'd recommend to anyone wanting to learn more about Jobs, Apple and/or Pixar.
22 Comments| 55 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 June 2013
Whilst he was uncnventional and no doubt a difficult person, Steve was truly a leader and visionary who changed the world around us fundamentally. This book whilst brief compared to the book by Walter Issacson gives the reader enough of an insight to see how both Jobs and Apple evolved into the force that brough us the ground breaking i products. Well worth a read for those who dont want a blow by blow account of his life but do want enough insight to understand the man