on 1 November 2013
Paying attention, remaining focused and excellence are obviously topics of
considerable interest to most of us in a relentless, busy and distracting world.
Daniel Goleman is renowned for his work in Emotional Intelligence. I found
this book entertaining, in parts interesting and easy to read throughout.
Including the many references to the role of the parts of brain, for which
ordinarily I would have minimal interest.

I particularly liked the discussions about the good and bad effects of computer
games on attention, the fact that attention and excellence are linked, the
ability to selectively pay attention, emotional hijacks and the value of daydreaming.

Ironically, towards the end, I would have preferred this book to have been more
'focused' on personal excellence as it relates to our individual roles, rather than
meandering in the collective responsibility of a green agenda. That said, the narrative
on leadership does make some interesting points, albeit not too originally.

The book summarises the anatomy of attention, self-awareness, seeing
ourselves as others see us, reading others, the roles of empathy, social sensitivity
and leadership. In each topic, the role the brain plays and relevant anecdotes are
used, many of which are possibly already well known to readers.

This book is an easy read and held my attention throughout, but has the depth of a
conversation, rather than on being loaded with riveting research and original insights.
I felt that all too often the writer was stating the obvious, which could be as a result
of good writing in simplifying a potentially complex topic.

I came away feeling more informed about the role of 'focus' in our everyday lives, but
not in any way empowered to do anything practical or excellent. Which I suppose is why
I didn't rate the book higher. Its likely that my expectations are misplaced or I have
missed the point of the Writer's intention. Needless to say, many like me, will enjoy
the insights offered, yet without the expectation of a 'practical takeaway' would be more
satisfied. My expectation was that there would be a link to at least few practical steps as
suggested (possibly ambiguously) in the title.

In my opinion, the role of focus in saving the planet was so far removed from the erstwhile
discussions about personal behaviour, it made the chapter on the 'big picture' seem like
it belonged in another book. The relationship, while it does obviously exist, seems somewhat
contrived or misplaced under this book title.

That said, for the price, it is a worthwhile read that provokes one to pay attention, without
focusing on anything particular in the end.
22 Comments| 75 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 January 2017
This book is quite badly lacking in focus. It offers a very broad schematic framework for thinking about attention and focus, but then buzzes about via a series of fairly disconnected anecdotes rather than really honing in on the central issues of attention and explaining them deeply in a way that would be of use to the reader. Not exactly a testament to the efficacy of the author's grasp of the subject.
on 7 May 2017
This book is about leading by meaning. The author explains what focus is and isn't and how leaders tend to miss the right focus. He also offers small tools to reach true focus and inspire the people leaders have to guide.
on 20 July 2017
Great book
on 4 August 2017
All as said
on 4 January 2015
Readable, but unfocussed. I found this book quite difficult to get through - kept finding myself half way through a chapter and thinking 'I've forgotten what this book is about, what's it about again?' Goleman just doesn't manage to keep Focus! I think it could be shortened to about a third of the content.
on 14 May 2014
I agree with the review by Laurence Dann - "Relevant and interesting discussions, but lacks focus in the end".

I was expecting something more practical, but got a series of anecdotal stories often involving family members and friends. Lots of big shout outs here.

His final chapter I found fascinating, because we have a politically left leaning thinker believing the world's problems can be solved by changing the "focus" of our leaders' minds. Whereas I am a more cynical and lean to the right politically, but I believe the reason the world's problems are so intractible is because they are emergent i.e. the result of the actions of many and consequently any solution would require us all to change. Furthermore, I think it is optimistic in the extreme to expect that "focussing" on a problem necessarily leads to a solution, indeed some problems are insolvable. Indeed haven't we learnt that "solving" one problem usually causes another problem.
on 23 March 2014
Very disappointed with the content of this book. It is full of waffly passages that when analysed say nothing. it is aimed at people who want to learn to focus better but clearly this author writes poorly and I suspect has churned out this tripe just to make money not to produce a quality product. Badly written and edited!
on 11 November 2013
Sorry Daniel. Your other stuff may be great and perhaps there is good research in here. But I gave up after a few chapters. If there is something worth saying, this would need to be completely rewritten.
on 22 June 2015
How can such a non-fiction book be so hard to put down as Focus? It offers emotional scientists and everybody else an insight into people's mind, literally.