Format: Hardcover|Change

VINE VOICEon 15 October 2013
Really enticing and inspiring book - just what I've come to expect from HFW. I find his books are generous in that each recipe has variations so that you are encouraged to experiment with slight variations to the main recipe - by the time you add all the variations up, you're probably looking at over 200 recipes! Wow. Made the Apple Snow at the weekend: mmm - yummy way to use up some of this year's bumper apple crop! But I defy anyone to open this book at random and not feel like immediately heading for the kitchen and starting to cook! The cake recipes look wonderful - plan to try one of those this weekend!
on 15 October 2013
Another handsome book from HFW containing an inspirational mixture of intriguing foreign influences and quirky modern ideas as well as a few British classic recipes. This will definitely help me get more varied use out of fruits in future and I shall especially enjoy trying out the salad and meat combinations.

Compliments to Bloomsbury on the design except for one complaint that the introduction is almost unreadable because of the very poor contrast between black print and shiny fuschia pink paper.
on 20 October 2013
Excellent book, full of unusual, tasty recipes with complex, beautiful flavours - straight forward to make, which I particularly like. The book itself is bright and colourful, with great photos and good general information about fruit.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 3 October 2013
I'm a big fan of Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall and River Cottage and have purchased most of the books and DVD's to date; the books in particular are consistently good, and for me what sets them apart from many on the market is the amount of unique (and sometimes unusual) flavour combinations.

This new book, 'River Cottage Fruit everyday' is no different.

I purchased the accompanying volume River Cottage Veg Every Day! (River Cottage Every Day) on its release hoping that it would inspire me to have more of an open mind towards vegetables and encourage me to experiment, this it most definitely did.

I have purchased this new volume with the same intention; I love the taste of fruit and want to eat more, but have always struggled with eating it, often the texture itself putting me off (I know, I'm weird).

This book has a huge amount of recipes, both sweet and savoury, that combine all manner of fruits and some of the combinations are inspired.

As with all the River Cottage books it is beautifully presented; 416 pages, filled with very attractive photography and also bright and colourful graphics.

There are a number of main sections:

1. Summer berries & currants
8. Tropical favourites
9. Citrus fruit
10. Dried fruit
11. Uncommon fruit

Each of these sections has an introduction concerning the fruit; there is also a directory included that lists related websites and businesses.

Each recipe is very easy to follow; clear instructions and a photograph accompanying every one.

I have to admit that the book has inspired me so far and I have made(in the week that I have owned it) the Raspberry ripple chocolate ice cream, Chicken, leek and plum pie and the Potato lemon drizzle cake.

The main intention of this book is to encourage the reader to use more fruit in our daily life's and also to take some risks and be open to new ideas, I have to admit that so far it has achieved this with me.
66 comments| 42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 October 2014
I am huge fan of incorporating fruit into my main courses and starters and this book disappoints me in the sense that a lot of the recipes are fruity dessert recipes. I think most of the cooks (or keen to cook) people will be able to find inspiration to make fruit desserts from just watching tv or googling stuff and what I was looking for was the imagination to get the fruit into main courses but there are just a handful of recipes in the book doing that. There are some interesting combos such as apple and tarragon salad and kiwi and squid (which I tried and came out very well), onions and plums (which also came out well) but again, a lot of the remaining combos are predictable apple and pork, sultanas and chicken type things which again, isn't great. The book is very heavy and bulky therefore takes a lot of my shelf space - this can be great in a big house but my tiny London flat - not so much :(

All in all, it is a decent book, and hats off to Hugh for thinking about the idea of Fruit in food, which some of us love. No other author has done anything in this area, but the book needed a lot more imagination and again, needed to steer clear of desserts to offer something different.
on 17 November 2013
Really good way to help get your 5 a day an delicious. ..always admire the way Hugh. ....leaves nothing to waste.....
on 3 February 2014
Having watched the series on television it was one of the most well received presents that I bought my partner this past Christmas. The recipes are excellent and I cannot wait to get my hands on some sloes and blackberries to try out some of the drink ones! As for the pork and gooseberry recipe, its delicious.

Bravo to Hugh for both the series and book
on 13 October 2013
This arrived the other day. I have not used any of the recipes yet, but certainly intend to. The book is very well laid out, with recipes arranged by the type of fruit used and very straightforward. Another winner for Hugh, who is one of the best and most practical cookery writers around. I often send his books as presents to my friends!
on 4 August 2016
Perfect if you have an allotment like I do and you dont know what to do with your glut of fruit. I guess it would be good if you get a regular fruit delivery or want to incorporate more fruit into your diet - accompanies the Veg book, also by Hugh, very well.
on 8 December 2014
There are some creative ways to use fruit with food you normally don't put together, such as Fruity Pizzas. There are also the good standard recipes with apple and pear, plus some that look very appetizing. I haven't tried the Tarte Tartine but intend to over Christmas. Some yummy photos of still to be tried recipes.