on 3 September 2017
I've only tried one of the recipes so far, but doing it has made me look at the others more carefully and think hard about what is going on here. For home cooks without much talent, like me, paring it down to three simple ingredients is a good idea on paper, and it ought to work - Heston Blumenthal will tell you all about the science of combining flavonoids - but in Hugh you don't get white chocolate and caviar, you get things like potato, swede and egg, and really the only reason most of Hugh's things "go together so well" is simply because they are so bland and innocuous, and if you put in a microgram too little salt, they will taste of absolutely nothing. I experienced this with the "courgettes, mozarella and pasta" - of course you have to smother it with parmesan for it to taste of anything, or, as Hugh suggests, you can add bacon, but I think the more talented home chefs would have known that anyway and they wouldn't have bothered with this book. Obviously a few of its recipes look good - I'll try the orange, strawberry and cucumber salad some time, but it's quite a fat book, and it's really a waste of space. Jamie Oliver seems to have latched onto this idea now and turned it into 5 simple things, which may be more promising, although you know that with all the subsidiary ingredients, you're back in the land of full-blown recipes again. But I like Jamie.

This review is probably over-harsh, being written in the hot flush of initial disappointment. If you have unlimited bookshelf space, you can buy a cheap copy - you may find a dozen good recipes in it; but if you are reading this, you are internetted and so you have 10 million recipes at your disposal!
on 23 June 2017
Love this man; love his back to nature, down to earth cooking
on 18 July 2017
Perfect great ideas lovely illustrations
on 6 June 2017
I enjoyed the book and recipes I tried at easy and tasty
on 6 May 2017
Some of the recipes include ingredients I've never even heard of, let alone trying to find them in the co-op! But there are some simple meals that even I can put together.
on 4 March 2013
But I got to enjoy the recipes. It's quite amazing that dishes with so few
ingredients can be so tasty!
on 25 February 2015
Far better book than I was expecting, lots of recipes I'd like to make
on 20 August 2013
I loved the TV show and love the book, too. All the recipes we tried were very tasty and especially the variation ideas were great.
on 10 March 2017
BEWARE!! This is just Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's Three Good Things reissued under a different name - it even says so on the back. It's a real shame Amazon don't warn you about this in the description, and will charge you to return the book.
on 31 October 2012
Great book the receipes are so simple and you dont have to go out and buy a list of ingredients you dont have. I love his style of cooking not pretencious.