Customer reviews

Format: Hardcover|Change

on 3 February 2013
This is a fun book; our 13 month old does all the fake sneezing himself now and regularly requests this book :) The art is great, full of stuff to look at and talk about and entertain the adults too.
on 22 July 2017
It's just kind of a boring story. It's not fun to read aloud. I was expecting more from Neil Gaiman. Meh.
on 4 August 2014
I'm helping my daughter write this review:

"I love Chu's Day because I always do Chu's sneezes and on his biggest sneeze I really, really, do it loud. This makes the story really funny, especially when Chu's mum and dad ask him if he's going to do a big sneeze. I love it a lot."
Eleanor, aged 5
on 23 February 2013
Fantastic drawings and simple story my 3 year old granddaughter loves it was read 3 times on the first opening
on 27 March 2013
I bought this for my 2-year-old and he just loves it. It's a very simple story which is perfect for this age group and the illustrations are just beautiful. He can spend ages pouring over the pictures and trying to name all the animals (the platypus in the library is still a source of confusion). And he always joins in with the "ah, Aaah, AAAAH...no".

It has fast become a bedtime favourite.
on 16 August 2016
This is the first of the (currently) three Chu books but not the first own that we owned. The first one we had was 'Chu's First Day at School' and my 18 month old daughter LOVED it so much she wore me out reading it so I then bought this one and also 'Chu's Day at the Beach'. All three books are fabulous. The illustrations are simply stunning and present a totally convincing world populated by a dazzling range of quirky and unusual animal characters, each drawn with such personality you can't stop looking at them.

Of the three books this is my least favourite, I think mostly because the illustrations are not as clear/have the same clarity as in the other two books because they feature more dimly lit indoor scenes at the circus & library etc. But the artwork is still amazing and the story is simple, catchy and charming and will have your child begging for "Achooooooooo!" to be pulled off the shelf every day. It's a great introduction to the world's cutest Panda.
on 2 May 2013
Good story, funny for the kids, its from age 1 to 4 I would say its best for as its a bit short.

However my 5 year old reads it himself as there aren't too many words which is good for him.

However the artwork in it is spectacular and really brings the books to life. Nice touch's on the wordplay as well.
on 30 January 2013
I have a 19 m.o. daughter, which gave me a socially acceptable excuse to buy it (I would anyway, I'm a Neil Gaiman fan), since it's aimed to little children. Ioved it, but the most important is: The book is a hit with it's intended audience too! My daughter also *loved* it, and I'm reading it on repeat since it arrived. The story is simple, perfect for little children. It's great fun to go "AAH... AAAAH... AAAAAAAH... No." together. She explores the illustrations and always discover something fun or funny and points it to me. Five stars, easily.
on 23 June 2013
There's not much storyline, so I expected to have to talk through the very nice detailed illustrations to make anything of it. However my 2.3 yr old loves it. I suspect that's partly due to the very loud and animated sneezing noises we do when reading it.
on 19 March 2013
I bought this on a whim because I love everything Neil Gaiman writes. I hoped my 2 year old would be vaguely amused before we returned to The Very Funny Frog (Peek-a-boo Pop-ups) type pop ups and Each Peach Pear Plum (Viking Kestrel Picture Books). Instead every bed time is now "Chu! Read Chu! Daddy, CHU!". He even walked over to me and said "Chu sneeze. Bad thing happen." in the middle of the day one day. He loves the story, he adores pointing out all his favourite animals in the lovely art (and learning new ones) and when Chu is stifling a sneeze he shouts "ACHOO" then laughs when Chu says "No".

It's a fun book, and my son has found a lot to love in it. I would recommend it without reservation to any pre-schooler.