on 7 October 2014
I really enjoyed reading this book.
Raymond has a way of talking to you personally and making every recipe have a story. ....This is Mamma Blanc's recipes... I like his writing style and his recipes are easy to follow. Great photographs and where there is a little more skill or detail required, there are step by step photos too. I enjoyed reading this as a book at bed time too!
Everything I have tried has turned out delicious so far, although there a couple of recipes that I like the look of but won't be making as there is a lot of fiddling around and thats not my cup of tea. For instance, making the tea cups out of chocolate for the dessert, it looks amazing but not for me!
Great book and delicious recipes. Thanks Raymond!
on 11 August 2013
A brilliant book which is full of recipes I have earmarked to cook. I did the tomato tart with pistou last night which was easy and very delicious. The Comte Soufflé and the Braised Turbot are next on my list. I also like the way the recipes are written, with a star rating for difficulty.
5 people found this helpful
on 28 November 2012
A fabulous book packed with helpful hints and tips which (I believe and hope) have moved my cooking skills to a higher level. All in all, probably more for the enthusiastic cook rather than a beginner but the recipes for the "Cornish Fish soup" and "Fillet of mackerel, shaved fennel salad and soy lime glaze" are my initial highlights. Frankly I am looking forward to tackling some of the remaining recipes - Comte cheese souffle looks particularly enticing.
Like watching the great man on TV it is difficult not to be carried along with his enthusiasm for food.
I hope you enjoy
on 23 July 2016
I have finally cracked making pastry! I tried in my late teens with rubbish results, but with Raymond's step by step instructions along with very helpful dialogue about why you need to do things and what to look out for means I can now make yummy apple tarts! There are some lovely recipes in this book and I enjoy just leafing through it. I've also made a plum tart and the duck with celeriac purée and blackberry sauce - all straightforward. I'd recommend this book.
on 25 November 2017
Always great tips and recipes from a wonderful chef
on 13 November 2012
This has to be one of the best cook books I've read and used, and own several hundred! The recipes are clear and precise, and well illustrated, but what makes this book stand apart from others are the invaluable hints and tips - the 'secrets' - at the end of each recipe. It's like having a friendly and knowledgable chef at your elbow!

Raymond Blanc is my favourite chef - I appreciate his enthusiasm and love of his subject.
2 people found this helpful
on 17 October 2013
Seeing Raymond Blanc on TV inspired me to get his book. His recipes demand an understanding of cooking and I wouldn't recommend this book for an absolute beginner but someone who loves cooking and trying out flavourful and colourful dishes will enjoy this book. I have cooked a number of Raymond Blanc's recipes from this book and they all turned out well. There are some unusual desserts in this book that are easy to make and look and taste quite impressive.
on 17 April 2012
Clear layout and precise and concise recipes with clear instructions. The recipes are not too complicated in most cases and are coded to indicate the level of difficulty and the skill required.

Any special techniques used are explained adequately enough for the average home cook to master with relative ease. The recipes are not overblown or showy in any way, just good structural meals with the emphasis on good quality ingredients prepared and cooked with finesse.

The nice thing about the book is the section on baking for example where the techniques are explained, mostly in a logical sequence that encourage the cook to `walk through' the process rather than in some books you have to jump back and forth to get the drift.

The photos are good without being stunning, but again this matches the content in the sense that it is about good food cooking and presentation rather than an art class.

One particularly nice surprise when I got the book is that the title page with Raymond's name on it (the blue page) is actually signed by him. Not sure if others have this also, but very nice to have his hand written signature!
2 people found this helpful
on 7 December 2015
Some beautiful recipes carefully explained - ideal for special occasions . What I really also like about this book is the very careful attention to details of techniques used for each recipe , plus special tips and Raymond Blanc's thorough knowledge of ingredients and how to get the best out of them . These are given following the basic procedure for each recipe .
on 8 June 2017
Wonderful chef. book is very informative and not 'scarey'