on 9 February 2017
Oh yes, oh yes oh yes!!!
I could hurl a hundred superlatives at this book, most of which you've probably heard before, but they’d all be deserved.
So, Harry Potter's sixth year at Hogwarts school of witchcraft and wizardry, and what a year.
I like to think of this one as a history book: not one of those big boring books that goes on and on about a long forgotten civilisation, a King or a Queen, but a book about Harry's past, his connection with Voldemort, and one that delves deep into the Dark Lord’s past, by way of memories in the pensieve in Dumbledore's office; memories that the headmaster has spent many years collecting.
Harry has inherited his god-father's house and the vile elf, Kreacher, who he puts to good use following Draco Malfoy. Harry knows that Draco is up to something, he overheard him threatening the owner of Borgin and Burkes in Knockturn alley, he just doesn't know what.
There are potions to master, (somewhat helped by an old potions book he finds in the spares cupboard, annotated and proclaiming to be the property of the half-blood prince; there's Snape to avoid, quidditch to play and an uncorrupted memory to extract from their new potions master, Professor Horace Slughorn; who taught Tom Riddle before he became Lord Voldemort.
There are girls, there's snogging and there's Ginny Weasley, who Harry is starting to see in a different light.
To top it all, there are Horcruxes to find, hidden objects that contain parts of Voldemort's soul, and this is where these books are so clever. It is here, in book six, that we discover that Tom Riddle's diary - which Harry destroyed in The Chamber of Secrets, (book two) - was in fact a Horcrux. Dumbledore has already destroyed another, Voldemort's grandfather's ring, and with Horace Slughorn relinquishing his untainted memory, they now know that they have four more to find, excluding the part of soul that resides in Voldemort himself.
So, over five hundred pages in and the adventure begins, but Draco has succeeded in his task, Death Eaters have entered the school, the dark mark hangs heavy above the astronomy tower, Dumbledore is disarmed, Harry immobilised, Snape . . .
I know that most of you already know the ending to this book, you've probably seen the film, but I put it to you, that unless you have read this book, you do not know the ending.
The battle between the Death Eaters and The Order, Snape and Malfoy's escape, the burning of Hagrid's hut, and the most moving part of all, Dumbledore's phoenix and its lament, echoing hauntingly through the corridors and classrooms of Hogwarts.
If a book could have more than five stars out of five, this would be the one. Simply put, this book if stunning.
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, here I come.
review image
on 8 May 2017
Amazing quality. I love the original uk editions, they are gorgeous. Underneath the dust jacket it looks the same which is a bonus so when the dust jacket gets old and grubby you can just take it off and it looks the same.
on 1 July 2017
My 10 year old is working her way through these great books. Purchased on a 3 for £10 offer, which was really good value
on 6 September 2017
What can I say? Just amazing storytelling and characters. My favourite series of all time.
on 15 May 2017
Who doesn't like Harry Potter. I purchased
1 - 7 a super addition to the family library.
on 30 September 2017
I am not happy with this book as it is not all there it stops at the end of chapter 1. It is not supposed to be a sample as I paid £5.99 for it. Please tell me how I can get the whole book or my money back as I cannot find a complaints service to do this for me.
on 4 March 2017
Grand daughter loves these books. Keeps her quiet for hours.
on 21 November 2017
My daughter is a Harry Potter fanatic & loves these books
on 21 September 2017
Really good book that keeps my kids reading
on 27 May 2017
Brilliant books. Read the whole series.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse