1,545

on 16 July 2005
I truely wonderful book and more than lives up to the expectations of J K Rowlings many eager fans. I strongly reccommend it to any fan of Harry.
on 27 July 2005
okay so the other peole who reviewed it were like "ooh it's so good" well my opinion is that it was stupid.
normally when i read rowlings books I can't seeem to put them down ort wait till I finish the book this time i had no problem putting it down
It was way too short compared to the other ones. and I just think that rowling ran out of things to say so she tried to spice it up by putting in kissing and how could she make harry go out with ginny weasley?
neways, what happened to the order of the pheonix nothing about that was in there. I've got to say that I think I spent the last two years waiting for nothing. I'm thinking the last book will be okay because it's just going to be the final fight but this book was lame. the plot wasn't that good and the book was depressing. I cried and rowling tried putting in the whole mystery of the half blooded prince when it was not relevant at all.
the books just loosing it's something that made it special the je ne sais qoui. I was really disappointed . I expected better but I know I'm still going to read the next book because she left too many lose ends and once you've started reading a book you wanna kno whow it ends.I just hope the waitings going to be worth it this time round
on 13 July 2011
I think we should all remember that when J.K. Rowling was writng the first few Harry Potter books her entire energy was directed toward the books and her daughter. That was apparently her whole world for several years. After her marriage, however there had to be more demands on her time, demands that took her concentration away from the Harry Potter series and I think that fact is evident in the last couple of books. They don't contain the energy, the excitement, the commitment to excellence previously shown in the first few Harry Potter books which were nothing less than glorious.

I came to the Harry Potter series very late. When I did, the first four books had been released. I read them in order then read them again and again and again - in fact twenty times before I moved on to something else. I fell completely under the spell of the Harry Potter world. It was a marvelous place to be - on so many levels. The creativity, the joy, the absence of horror that we see in the world around us today made these books the very best escapist literature that I had ever encountered. In fact, if you take away the magic, J.K. Rowling was describing an ideal world. At Hogwarts children were expected to be courteous to teachers. There were no armed guards in the halls; there were no drive-by shootings; there were no gang rapes; there was no drug trafficking - none of the things that make today's secondary education so abnormal. At Hogwarts the teachers were very strict with the students; at the same time they were very protective of them - exactly as adults should be with children in my opinion.

For a while I wondered who Harry was supposed to represent, since he was undoubtedly a force for good fighting an evil force. Could he be a Christ figure? No, for Christ was not a warrior and Harry clearly is a little warrior. Then I thought about who (in Christian mythology) was the ultimate good guy and the answer came - Archangeal Michael who drove the ultimate bad guy (Archangel Lucifer) out of Heaven. So I decided that Harry was a little Archangel Michael-in training. This was a wonderful fantasy that was sustained through Book five.

Everything seemed to fall apart in book six which was unfortunately for me somewhat boring and I was terribly disappointed in the ending of book seven. It was so prosaic. Plus there is a mystery there that I haven't seen explained in any interview with J.K. Rowling. What happened to the missing seven years. The end of the book seven states that it is nineteen years later but Harry's oldest child is only twelve. Did Harry & Ginny wait seven years to have children or to get married? That seems highly unlikely. I thought that Rowling was leaving us a clue that there would be further Potter et.al. adventures - maybe as aurors during the time before they settled down to have children - but so far, no luck.

I don't blame Rowling for the decline in quality of the latest books. She had a right to marry and have children and be happy. But these inevitably drained away her concentration on the series and the last couple of books suffered because of it. Or maybe she couldn't have kept up that super-high level of excellence no matter what happened. In any event I have the whole opus in my library and I re-read them all occasionally and watch the movies. As I write this the last movie installment is due out in the U.S. at the end of this week and I am really looking forward to it. These Harry Potter movies are the only ones I ever go to nowadays and no matter whether I love it or only like it I'll buy the DVD to complete the series as soon as it's available.
on 31 May 2016
love love love
on 15 August 2014
excellent read
on 10 August 2007
Not the best Harry Potter book. Lots of confusing twists and turns and the same thing happens nearly every day... sigh
on 18 July 2005
This book was much better than the slightly dissapointing order of the phoenix and it was much faster moving. Without ruining it for people who havent read it, it has a very strange and funny start and probably the saddest ending of all the books so far. There was probably not as much action as the previous books but alot more of Voldemorts history was revealed which made up for the lack of action.
on 18 July 2005
I read the latest installment of the Harry Potter series in less than a day - it travels along at a cracking pace and is difficult to put down.
Without giving away the plot, this is the most grown up of the books so far. Lots of psychological and physical struggles for Harry and his friends, as well as the is he good or isn't he good situation with one of the main characters. There is less action and more background story to this book also, which might lead to some younger children finding this a difficult read.
The book deals with some very difficult issues though -death, betrayal, being bad by reputation and being actually a bad person, the turmoil you feel when you have empathy with someone you are meant to intensely dislike as well as overtones of child abuse by Lord Voldermort as a child himself. These, coupled with the everyday adolescent feelings of love and lust and not wanting to upset your friends.
The ending is melancholy and ends on a cliffhanger, which means I am going to have to forget about this book now for a few years as JK Rowling hasn't even started book seven yet (think she deserves the break to be honest!!)
I would recommend this book to those who enjoy the series, however I would be careful when giving it to children too young to understand death and destruction as these themes do continue throughout the book.