on 22 September 2016
Brilliant! I studied Latin at high school for 5 years and I can just about follow the story because I know it so well. I love the way they've made up pseudo-Latin words for words with no Latin translation. I taught Latin to a group of primary school students and they were fascinated by this book!!
Fantastic for anyone who's into Harry Potter and has an interest in Latin!
on 8 August 2016
Having bought this for my elder son, I found myself buying them again for my younger sons 10th birthday so that he had his own copy. The cover is much updated and has a lovely feel to it. Yes, that does sound as strange as it reads but I do judge a cover on its design and feel. He hasn't read it or the others (I bought the first 3) but was delighted to have his own copies. Based on the first 3 books I think I will buy the remaining books for his Christmas so that he has the full set in this design.
on 5 January 2017
Fantastic collection of the complete Harry Potter books. My Son is over the moon, he is mad about Harry Potter and the magic these stories bring. Purchased just at the right time, so I was very happy with the price, after a hiccup with the delivery, I received the replaced order the next day and it was well worth the wait.
on 10 January 2015
I adore this book. As a fan of Latin things, I have thoroughly enjoyed picking my way through Harrius Potter. It really does help with learning Latin (and mastering the imperfect tense!), and it makes the entire experience enjoyable. A very good quality translation (much better than Hobbitus Ille), so you'll find it refreshes your grammar well. I'd say your Latin doesn't need to be excellent to get the gist of what's going on, as long as you know the sotry well, so I'd recommend for all levels. In many ways, it was better to get it before I could read it easily as it was a fun way to measure my progression with Latin!
on 3 May 2015
My seven year old grandson gallops through Tom Gates, Billy Bonkers, Dirty Bertie and Astrosaurs books.
Wanting to stretch him a bit and after discussion with his mother, started him on David Walliams and he has devoured the whole lot.
After further discussions, I got this for him and....he galloped through it, although he did have to ask for help with a small number of words and concepts - he tells me it is brilliant.
HP 2 is on order and, when we have finished the HP series, I suppose it will have to be Dostoevsky, Zola or Kafka.
on 19 April 2014
The sellers were helpful and quick to reply to emails.
We bought this and all the others in the series from this seller as first publication copies in clean, unread, condition. The books had naturally aged with time, but this only added to their charm.
We bought them for my daughter who had originally grown up reading and watching the harry potter books and films. She was only three when we bought the first book in 1997 and so the books we had, had become damaged and battered after a decade of child ownership.
So the new set was a wonderfully received 20th birthday gift.
on 19 April 2014
The sellers were helpful and quick to reply to emails.
So the new set was a wonderfully received 20th birthday gift.
on 2 March 2017
I've only read 5 of the Harry Potter book series so far, but I would definitely recommend reading them. J.K. Rowling is an astonishing writer and what I love most about the way she writes is the way she makes the characters relatable, for example, Harry Potter is not a perfect person, he has many flaws, even though so far in the books I've read he's been the hero and saved the day...so yeah I would definitely recommend reading the Harry Potter books!!!!
on 7 January 2017
I bought this collection as a Christmas present to myself, and it did not disappoint.
I received an email from Amazon to say it was being delivered early, and like a big kid I kept looking out the window waiting for the postman!
The collection is beautiful with some stunning artwork, nitbto mention it being great value! I've lost count of the number of times I've read these books growing up, they are the only books I can read over and over again. My childhood versions were getting a bit worn out, and I'm so glad I treated myself to this collection.
It doesn't matter whether you're a kid or an adult, these books are a joy to read.
review image
on 27 July 2012
Although I loved the book I decided only to give it 4 stars as others in the series; the third, fourth and fifth books in particular are superb, in my opinion.

The first merely introduces us to the magical world of wizardry, Hogwarts and Harry with a cracking good versus evil story and one that if you read it back in 1998, you knew was not over!

Here, however, you get the impression, even though JK Rowling had planned all seven books in advance, she was learning her craft. It may sound a little crass to say it but if you compare it with the film, it being impossible not to do, it is less succinct. Things happen that do not have to happen. Characters are included in scenes that are superfluous. Did JK Rowling have the films in mind when she wrote the remainder of the series after seeing the brilliant job they did on the first film? Did the film rewrites help her to write the remainder of the series? These are important questions when we consider the first book.

Just to make you aware, I read all the books before seeing the films and on this occasion believe the first film to be better than the first book.