on 26 June 2017
I'm not going to review the novel itself here, suffice to say I love it. This review is specifically for the edition I purchased: the U.S. Deluxe Edition hardcover published by Arthur A. Levine Books (ISBN-13: 978-0545029377).

{One SPOILER ahead, on the off-chance you haven't read the book but are planning to}

As a general rule, I much prefer the original British covers of the Harry Potter books, but Deathly Hallows has always been the only book of the seven where I prefer the original U.S. cover illustration, so I finally decided to order this as an extra for my collection. I was expecting to be pleased, but I wasn't expecting to be quite as delighted as I am with this edition; it's absolutely blinking gorgeous. The front and back illustrations (on the outer cardboard sleeve) are lovely, but just as good if not better is the illustration on the dust jacket, which if opened out fully, is a panorama of Harry, Ron and Hermione riding the dragon over the lakes and mountains after their escape from Gringotts. It's also nicely planned out so that Harry appears on the visible bit on the spine when the book is in its sleeve.

This edition also has a section at the end with full-page versions (black and white) of the small illustrations which head up each chapter in this version, and the majority of them are pretty much bang-on in my opinion. Mary GrandPre has outdone herself with this book.

This is just an absolutely lovely version of Deathly Hallows, really well-presented, with beautiful, imaginative illustrations. I couldn't be happier that I finally went ahead and ordered it.
on 20 March 2018
Purchased as a gift for someone, who is a massive Harry Potter fan. They really liked it. It’s very well printed and has a high quilty feel to it. Recommended to any Harry Potter fans
on 2 January 2016
Quite amazing how the author mapped out the whole plot with hawcruxes etc from the first novel, knitting it all together like one long story but nicely divided into Potter's different years at school.

With all these DVDs, though, there is quite a bit missing in regards to the books as there is just not enough space in the dvd to cover the whole thing. So, right after you see the dvd, I would highly recommend that you get yourself an Audio-Book, and listen to Stephen Fry telling you the longer story of what happened in The Prisoner of Azkaban. (Fry communicates the different voices excellently.) That way, you have all the images from the dvd and you can run your imagination with all that in place. Like two exciting stories from one.

Harpy New Year!
4 people found this helpful
on 2 February 2018
I will not say anything about the story of Harry Potter, known by many.

The box is very pretty, not too sturdy but OK, and has two doors with a magnetic lock. The box is just the right size for the books and so it is quite difficult to extract a book without risking to damage the box or the books.

The books are very sturdy, printed on the typical yellow-ish books sheet, not too thin. On some books (mainly the big ones) the binding (glued, not sewn) is very stiff, you here some creaks opening them. The dust jackets are just the right size for the books, with very good drawings and with a raised title.

On the inside the books is printed with a not too small characters size, although from the 4th book the characters are smaller. The are no drawings in the books expect at the incipit of every chapter where we can find some stars around the chapter's title. The main difference with the previous editions is the letters and the newspapers extracts: the former are written with a calligraphic font, different for each character, the latter are printed as a "real" newspaper article. A very nice touch in my opinion. At the beginning of each book there is a map of Hogwarts.

All in all, at the price I bought it, it is a very good deal.
on 12 October 2016
Gorgeous quality. Bought having seen the artist who did the illustrations on the 'one programme' and our whole family love HP. I will look forward to turning the pages to read to our Grandchildren in a few years time. Half normal price. Would make a wonderful Christmas present.
on 5 December 2016
I've loved the Harry Potter series since I was a kid, but never had any of the books myself. Now that I'm in my mid-twenties, I decided it was time to make one of my dreams come true - to get my very own set of all the 7 Harry Potter books. And I couldn't be happier with this purchase! The books look just wonderful! I know this set was primarily designed for children, but don't let that discourage you from buying even if you're older. The dust jackets are beautifully illustrated, with golden letters and stars all over them, and the books look very nice without the dust jackets as well - each of the seven books has a different colour and small golden stars on the front cover. There is also a map of Hogwarts and its surroundings at the beginning of each of the books, and there are no other pictures inside, except for little black stars around the chapter titles. The text is laid out normally, but in the thicker books it is slightly more dense. Therefore don't be afraid of this children's set being too childish - it isn't at all, and I'm sure kids and adults of all ages will love it.

Also, the delivery only took a few days, and although I expected the red box to be damaged after its trip across half of Europe, it wasn't damaged at all. It was packed in a cardboard box filled with paper to protect the books, so it looks just as good as if I'd just bought it in a store.

As I've said, I'm absolutely thrilled with this purchase. This set would make for a wonderful present for any Harry Potter lover, regardless of age.
on 6 February 2018
Imagine the Alice books, the Sherlock Holmes books, the Beatrix Potter books and plenty of others without illustrations; they are actually an integral part of these books. Where else did, for example, Holmes's deer stalker come from? But now it is rare for a book to be published with pictures.
Jim Kay's illustrations are superb and not just a few colour plates but an actual part of the book. I'm glad to say that those of the characters are taken from Mr Kay's imagination and the descriptions in the books and not, as is often the case, straight from the film; for example he shows Dudley Durston's hair to be blond as in the book while he is dark in the film. There's even a drawing of the marauders' map, giving a plan of Hogwart's; doesn't work though!
I wish Jim Kay would work on the Dark Materials series.
on 7 March 2018
Simply stunning. Bought for a present for my husband who fell in love with it instantly. The pages are made from thick, good quality paper, the illustrations are gorgeous (I cannot describe how beautiful they are) and I don't think I need to review the story at this point.

A nice added bonus is the pull out of Diagon Alley in the back... it's going to be a collectors dream (or nightmare)
One person found this helpful
on 29 January 2017
I bought these books after I watched the films so I did know sometimes what was going to happen next. Unlike the films, the books tell you a bit more about the spells and the overall storyline is slightly different in a good way. The books themselves are quite addictive to read once you get into one of them and it can be hard to put them down. I think they are well worth the money they cost because of their adventurous story and exciting tense parts.
VINE VOICEon 26 July 2017
Rowling is a fantastic writer and this is just another fantastic book from her collection. Some people just have a gift for writing and her novels are always hard to put down. I have watched all the films but I think the books are better. So now I read the books and watch the films after I have finished the book to see what was taken out.