on 13 December 2017
This was a repurchase for me as my original Harry Potter book is battered from years of reading. I've reread this book since and of course, I loved it. The beginning can be a little slow for younger readers as a lot of it is not in the movies, but the remaining 85% is and can be completely imagined throughout. I like the fact most of the original dialogue was translated into movies which is something I've noticed since rereading as an adult. Lovely start to the fabulous series and I am buying the full set to have a newer looking set on my shelf!
The artwork on the cover is so much better than the original book which is red. There are illustrations around the chapter headings too which adds a special something. The paper in this book is a lot firmer and of better quality. It's bigger in length than my original one by about 100 pages but that's probably just a printing difference. There isn't anything additional. I think there was a map in the front of mine but I 'm unsure.

Fab read of course.
6 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 11 June 2017
Fantastic anniversary special edition. I love that the book has been released in four versions for each of the four houses and that they are also in house colours. The extra information at the front with information about the founders of each house and other information. I love it! Bought all four versions!
10 people found this helpful
on 26 June 2017
I'm not going to review the novel itself here, suffice to say I love it. This review is specifically for the edition I purchased: the U.S. Deluxe Edition hardcover published by Arthur A. Levine Books (ISBN-13: 978-0545029377).

{One SPOILER ahead, on the off-chance you haven't read the book but are planning to}

As a general rule, I much prefer the original British covers of the Harry Potter books, but Deathly Hallows has always been the only book of the seven where I prefer the original U.S. cover illustration, so I finally decided to order this as an extra for my collection. I was expecting to be pleased, but I wasn't expecting to be quite as delighted as I am with this edition; it's absolutely blinking gorgeous. The front and back illustrations (on the outer cardboard sleeve) are lovely, but just as good if not better is the illustration on the dust jacket, which if opened out fully, is a panorama of Harry, Ron and Hermione riding the dragon over the lakes and mountains after their escape from Gringotts. It's also nicely planned out so that Harry appears on the visible bit on the spine when the book is in its sleeve.

This edition also has a section at the end with full-page versions (black and white) of the small illustrations which head up each chapter in this version, and the majority of them are pretty much bang-on in my opinion. Mary GrandPre has outdone herself with this book.

This is just an absolutely lovely version of Deathly Hallows, really well-presented, with beautiful, imaginative illustrations. I couldn't be happier that I finally went ahead and ordered it.
2 people found this helpful
on 20 March 2018
Purchased as a gift for someone, who is a massive Harry Potter fan. They really liked it. It’s very well printed and has a high quilty feel to it. Recommended to any Harry Potter fans
4 people found this helpful
on 2 January 2016
Quite amazing how the author mapped out the whole plot with hawcruxes etc from the first novel, knitting it all together like one long story but nicely divided into Potter's different years at school.

With all these DVDs, though, there is quite a bit missing in regards to the books as there is just not enough space in the dvd to cover the whole thing. So, right after you see the dvd, I would highly recommend that you get yourself an Audio-Book, and listen to Stephen Fry telling you the longer story of what happened in The Prisoner of Azkaban. (Fry communicates the different voices excellently.) That way, you have all the images from the dvd and you can run your imagination with all that in place. Like two exciting stories from one.

Harpy New Year!
4 people found this helpful
on 13 January 2014
After years of living with his maternal Aunt, Uncle and cousin after the death of his parents Harry Potter receives a letter in the mail informing him that he has a place at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. His Aunt and Uncle try everything they can to stop him going, for their own reasons. Harry was expecting a bit of wand waving and a few magic words.. what he wasn't expecting was to gain two best friends and have a rollercoaster of an adventure that would leave him face to face with the man who wants him dead.

This isn't the first time I've read Harry Potter. It's one of those books that fails to get old and you can read over and over again. It's not the best written book out there but it's more the way it's written that intrigues so many. The magic behind the magic.

The characters in this book are funny, courageous, fiercely loyal and very endearing. It's hard not to love them. My favourite is Professor Snape with his villainous charm but I think deep down he's a softy.

It's hard to believe that a book aimed at the younger audience would be able to capture and charm an adult while still being able to intrigue a child/adolescent but this book manages to do that. The story grips you almost from the very start and leaves you guessing. I still can't be able to figure out who's behind it all.
9 people found this helpful
on 2 February 2018
I will not say anything about the story of Harry Potter, known by many.

The box is very pretty, not too sturdy but OK, and has two doors with a magnetic lock. The box is just the right size for the books and so it is quite difficult to extract a book without risking to damage the box or the books.

The books are very sturdy, printed on the typical yellow-ish books sheet, not too thin. On some books (mainly the big ones) the binding (glued, not sewn) is very stiff, you here some creaks opening them. The dust jackets are just the right size for the books, with very good drawings and with a raised title.

On the inside the books is printed with a not too small characters size, although from the 4th book the characters are smaller. The are no drawings in the books expect at the incipit of every chapter where we can find some stars around the chapter's title. The main difference with the previous editions is the letters and the newspapers extracts: the former are written with a calligraphic font, different for each character, the latter are printed as a "real" newspaper article. A very nice touch in my opinion. At the beginning of each book there is a map of Hogwarts.

All in all, at the price I bought it, it is a very good deal.
2 people found this helpful
on 12 October 2016
Gorgeous quality. Bought having seen the artist who did the illustrations on the 'one programme' and our whole family love HP. I will look forward to turning the pages to read to our Grandchildren in a few years time. Half normal price. Would make a wonderful Christmas present.
5 people found this helpful
on 10 September 2017
Its great to see this classic of the future being translated into Welsh, disappointing this is the only edition done, would be nice to see the life of Harry in the other books also in Welsh, so many young people believe only boring books come in Welsh and so do not bother to continue to use the language outside of school. My only criticism is that the large majority of character names have changed unnecessarily from the English version when it is obvious that these people were never meant to be Welsh. This goes even further when Norbert the dragon comes in, the name and gender are both changed, why??? I do hope the rest of the series are also translated, as a Welsh language learner I really enjoy practicing by reading books I enjoyed in English
One person found this helpful
on 24 September 2017
I debated with myself for a long time over whether I 'needed' this - after all I already own the original book and the printed illustrated book so why did I need this as well?

Well I caved... and I'm glad I did! It won't work on my Kindle Paperwhite which is a shame, but it works nicely on the Kindle App on my Tablet & Phone. It really is extra magical to read when the beautiful illustrations unexpectedly move. The movement is often subtle so you almost doubt you've seen it move & have to look again.

I'm a huge Harry Potter fan & love that extra ways of making the books more magical keep being developed. I'm looking forward to the next books in this format.
One person found this helpful