on 13 December 2017
This was a repurchase for me as my original Harry Potter book is battered from years of reading. I've reread this book since and of course, I loved it. The beginning can be a little slow for younger readers as a lot of it is not in the movies, but the remaining 85% is and can be completely imagined throughout. I like the fact most of the original dialogue was translated into movies which is something I've noticed since rereading as an adult. Lovely start to the fabulous series and I am buying the full set to have a newer looking set on my shelf!
The artwork on the cover is so much better than the original book which is red. There are illustrations around the chapter headings too which adds a special something. The paper in this book is a lot firmer and of better quality. It's bigger in length than my original one by about 100 pages but that's probably just a printing difference. There isn't anything additional. I think there was a map in the front of mine but I 'm unsure.

Fab read of course.
10 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 11 June 2017
Fantastic anniversary special edition. I love that the book has been released in four versions for each of the four houses and that they are also in house colours. The extra information at the front with information about the founders of each house and other information. I love it! Bought all four versions!
10 people found this helpful
on 13 January 2014
After years of living with his maternal Aunt, Uncle and cousin after the death of his parents Harry Potter receives a letter in the mail informing him that he has a place at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. His Aunt and Uncle try everything they can to stop him going, for their own reasons. Harry was expecting a bit of wand waving and a few magic words.. what he wasn't expecting was to gain two best friends and have a rollercoaster of an adventure that would leave him face to face with the man who wants him dead.

This isn't the first time I've read Harry Potter. It's one of those books that fails to get old and you can read over and over again. It's not the best written book out there but it's more the way it's written that intrigues so many. The magic behind the magic.

The characters in this book are funny, courageous, fiercely loyal and very endearing. It's hard not to love them. My favourite is Professor Snape with his villainous charm but I think deep down he's a softy.

It's hard to believe that a book aimed at the younger audience would be able to capture and charm an adult while still being able to intrigue a child/adolescent but this book manages to do that. The story grips you almost from the very start and leaves you guessing. I still can't be able to figure out who's behind it all.
11 people found this helpful
on 10 September 2017
Its great to see this classic of the future being translated into Welsh, disappointing this is the only edition done, would be nice to see the life of Harry in the other books also in Welsh, so many young people believe only boring books come in Welsh and so do not bother to continue to use the language outside of school. My only criticism is that the large majority of character names have changed unnecessarily from the English version when it is obvious that these people were never meant to be Welsh. This goes even further when Norbert the dragon comes in, the name and gender are both changed, why??? I do hope the rest of the series are also translated, as a Welsh language learner I really enjoy practicing by reading books I enjoyed in English
One person found this helpful
on 24 September 2017
I debated with myself for a long time over whether I 'needed' this - after all I already own the original book and the printed illustrated book so why did I need this as well?

Well I caved... and I'm glad I did! It won't work on my Kindle Paperwhite which is a shame, but it works nicely on the Kindle App on my Tablet & Phone. It really is extra magical to read when the beautiful illustrations unexpectedly move. The movement is often subtle so you almost doubt you've seen it move & have to look again.

I'm a huge Harry Potter fan & love that extra ways of making the books more magical keep being developed. I'm looking forward to the next books in this format.
One person found this helpful
on 3 May 2018
This is a review of the Kindle in Motion of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. I'm not going to bore you with a review of the actual story as I'm sure you already know how good it is. The Kindle in Motion edition is a digital version of the Illustrated edition, featuring wonderful full colour artwork with the added bonus that many of the illustrations are animated. This helps enhance the reading experience of an already fantastic read. While I give the story itself 5 stars, this edition gives an enhanced experience and i think this is a must have for both existing fans and people new to the Harry Potter series of books, be they children or adults. I really hope Kindle in Motion editions of the other books in the series are in production.
on 31 March 2016
I bought this book for my son to read for world book day as he loved all the films and hes getting a lot better with his reading now (hes nearly 7). This book is really nice it is a good size for my son to carry around with him and been paperback its not too heavy for him and the text is a nice readable size for him. I think the price for this book is excellent and I would have expected it to cost more than it did. I am sure I will be back to purchase the next book in the series for him once hes completed reading this once. would recommend to others.
3 people found this helpful
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 2 March 2018
Despite already having this book in my collection of books, my daughters are finally getting into Harry Potter books after having watched only watched the films. They have both been spending their time on the Pottermore website and taken the test to find out which house they were part of. So what better than to buy them the first book in their house colours?! They both love their new books and I have to admit that the books look strikingly good in their respective colours.

Now I have to contend with the inevitable “My book colour is better than yours!” 🙄

Hopefully they will continue to publish the other Potter books in the same colours.

If you found this review helpful, can you please help me by clicking on the helpful button. Thanks
on 4 June 2018
These audio books are amazing! My sister has MS and struggles to read books due to the MS, but she LOVES Harry Potter. When I told her that the films do not have the same details that the books have she was very disappointed that she was missing out and so she started the first book but only managed a few pages over a week. She felt like the extra details were hidden secrets never to be revealed to her . . . Until now! The unabridged cds read by Stephen Fry are AMAZING! All the extra bits from the books are now reachable for my sister, who listens to them when driving. Only problem is that now she keeps highlighting areas where the film is not as thorough as the books! Thank you #StephenFry for doing such a wonderful job bringing all the different characters to life for her.
on 10 September 2017
A really beautifully presented edition. Makes a great gift for any Potter fan (provided you know what house they are in!) A bit heftier than my old paperback copy of The Philosopher's Stone, this edition also includes a few added extras and illustrations relating to the relevant house. Online the colour looked a bit garish, but in the flesh it's actually very nice.

As for the story itself - a true classic, my generation's "Lord of the Rings". If you haven't read it, get it now - you can easily read this book in a day (probably in one sitting). I've lost count of how many times I have read this book and am always ready to delve back to Hogwarts.

If you're a first time reader the House edition probably won't make much sense - why not get it from your local library, find out where you belong and then get the relevant edition later on?