Format: Paperback|Change

on 6 January 2012
Fracture is Megan Miranda's début novel, it is truly a wonderful read and I devoured it very quickly.

Delaney is the main character in the book, she is just a regular down to earth teenager, who is secretly in love with her best friend. The story starts off with Delaney falling through a frozen lake near her house. Best friend Decker rescues her with the help of their friends. Eleven minutes Delaney was under the water, she should be dead.

She wakes in the hospital for coma, doctors are amazed and immediately start running brain scans. The brain scans do not come back normal, but doctors cannot believe Delaney doesn't suffer from some symptoms like memory loss, speech problems, thing like that, she is a medical miracle.

Strange occurrences start happening, Delaney feels a pull in her body, an itching, leading her to the dying. Thing is she doesn't know if she is drawn to the dying or she is causing the deaths.

Delaney meets Troy, who is an older guy, and seems to get Delaney. He suffers from the same bone chilling gift as Delaney and the two of them seem to be linked to each other. Troy is not how he seems, he has a sinister side. Delaney finds finds him in the assisted living centre where he works, aiding an old lady along with her own death. Everything come into sharp focus for Delaney, she knows she needs to stay away from Troy, she knows what he is doing is wrong, but he pursues and frightens her.

When Delaney senses the death of someone she knows, she realises her gift is more of a curse.

Delaney drifts apart from Decker and the rest of her friends. Her mum is distant and just wants to force pills down her throat, to make things go back to normal.

The end was a pleasant surprise for me, it left me begging for more. The characters in this book were well developed and I had a connection to Delaney from the off. Some good guys and some more dark and sinister. I stepped right into this world with ease. It was beautifully written with a fresh, intriguing storyline.

A thrilling Must read.

But the question still remains "If you had one day left to live, what would you do?"
on 7 June 2012
Fracture puzzles me, for a number of different reasons. Firstly, the storyline is interesting and unique, and the idea of a girl who has had a near-death experience and is now drawn to the dying and dead is something not seen a lot. The descriptions, particularly of the hospital and the dying patients, are clever and intriguing, and the book does carry a sense of 'what happens next' throughout. The book does excel in its cliffhangers and elaborate, spontaneous ideas.

However, the book failed to touch my heart or make me feel for any of the characters. This is plainly because none of the characters have any personality - they are all simple and predictable, and none of them seem to feel or convey human emotions at all, like fear and anger - and if they do, we are certainly not told. By the end of the book, I was still not clear on who Delaney really was, and if she was quiet, confident, fearless, generous or introverted. I think it's important to be able to relate to the characters in a book, but it wasn't possible in Fracture.

Also, there are several unexplained loose ends. For example, halfway through, when Delaney visits the hospital, she sees a grey, extra-terrestrial-looking, dying person. This was a really interesting description and I wanted to know what happened to this person, and what was wrong with them - but no more was said about them; they were simply forgotten. Sick people in the hospital are also continuously described, but after that, they are forgotten and left. If you are going to create a sick, fascinating character, you could at least explain what is wrong with them, or say who they are.

The book wasn't poignant, emotional or thought-provoking, and I think this is where it fails; the lack of depth and humanity in characters, and the frustrating lack of explanations and emotional description. However, it is interesting and fast-paced - so if you're looking for a quick, ghostly novel, then I suppose this is it. Just don't expect anything more.
on 15 January 2012
I have so much love for this incredible debut novel! This was an outstanding read from an exciting new author who is definitely one to watch. She literally blew me away with this captivating title which I adored from start to finish. As soon as I'd finished then I wanted to start reading it all over again. It's difficult to really put into words how much I enjoyed this book and how immersed I became in the story but suffice it to say, 'Fracture' already has a permanent place in my list of favourite reads for 2012.

Delaney's life changes after she falls into a frozen lake. Trapped underwater for eleven endless minutes her heart stops and she's declared dead but then miraculously starts breathing again after being pulled from the ice. But Delaney has changed and she isn't the same person she used to be. She can't make sense of what she's feeling but she finds herself mysteriously drawn to the dead and dying.

Central to the book is the bond between Delaney and her childhood friend and neighbour Decker. I loved their friendship and although they both won't admit to their real feelings for each other, you can tell that these are two people who are destined to be together. They complete each other perfectly. I adored Decker who is the gorgeous boy next door type and who is sensitive and caring inside. I wish I could just pluck him out of the pages of the book and conjure him up right in front of me! As much as I fell in love with Decker, I seriously disliked Troy who Delaney meets after her accident. He's an ominous presence in the book and actually pretty creepy and sinister. He's the complete opposite of Decker and seems to be the bad to Decker's good.

I loved Delaney who narrates the story from a first person perspective. She is strong and stubborn and brave and became a character who I could really relate to. Her relationship with her mother becomes strained after the accident and I thought the exploration of this was extremely interesting. Her mother wants to keep her safe but can't come to terms with the person that Delaney's become. She wants the old Delaney back but she's been changed forever after her near death experience. Delaney in turn has to try to understand her mother's motivations which have been shaped by her own family history.

'Fracture' is a novel about life and death, love and friendship and the meaning of family. I felt quite emotional during and after reading it because I really became connected to all the characters and their lives. Brilliantly written, I was gripped and absorbed by every single second of the story. It's quite literally one of the best debuts I have ever read.
Fracture, Megan Miranda's debut novel, simply took my breath away. As a combination of amazing writing style, intriguing plot and easily relatable characters, it has all the ingredients of a perfect book. Miranda manages to grab your attention on the very first page and make you keep on reading until the very end. Fracture is a real page-turner from a highly talented debut author - a definite must have for the fans of YA fiction.

If I had to choose one thing about this book I loved the most, I'd be at a loss. The story is very intriguing and fast paced - it grabs you at the very beginning and doesn't let you put the book down right until the end. It has everything an excellent story should have: a little bit of mystery, hidden secrets, and romance as well. I'm always a little bit scared when it comes to YA romance because sometimes it comes off a bit cheesy, but Fracture is everything but cheesy. Miranda's writing style is just brilliant. She describes everything in such a way, in such details that it's almost as if you watched a film instead of reading the book. It's as if you were there with the characters and experienced everything they were going through.

In addition to a marvellous plot and writing style, Miranda's characters are easily relatable and quite likeable. Delaney and Decker are a fantastic duo and they make the book even better. There's something about him, something I can't quite put my finger on that makes you love him even if he's being rude or annoying. I found Delaney's relationship with her mother how she was turning into her own mother quite interesting as well. Coming from a family where her father abused her and her mother didn't care about her at all, Delaney's mum does everything she can to get rid of her past and forget her painful memories. I found it interesting how she was always scrubbing the kitchen counter even if it was immaculately clean, almost as if she wanted to erase something from her life and how Delaney started doing the same thing towards the end of the book.

With a gripping storyline comes a surprising and thrilling ending - I seriously couldn't have predicted what was about to happen and the author had me on the edge of my seat all along. I'm not lying when I say I loved everything about this book. Every single detail was perfectly written and I literally devoured it within 24 hours. A fantastic debut from a brilliant author whose work has completely taken me by surprise - I can't wait to see what she comes up with next.
on 10 February 2015
I have been wanting to read this book for quite some time; in fact, ever since it was first released way back in 2012. I bought a paperback copy of it. However, due to my rather large reading list, it has taken me this long to get to read it. This is Megan Miranda's debut novel and has, since I bought this book, been re-released. Therefore, I can only review the copy I have; I really enjoyed it!

Delaney Maxwell is a wonderful character; I really liked her. She has a very down to earth personality, but I felt that I would have liked a bit more character development for her, as she didn't seem to have the reactions a normal human would have done in her situation i.e. anger, grief, sadness etc. She is a normal teen, enjoying a day out with friends when a freak accident brings her life crashing around her ears. What happened to her during those eleven minutes beneath the ice?

I started to read this book, and did not put it down until I had finished it five hours later. I found myself completely enthralled by the story. I have read about, and watched documentaries of real life stories of people who have had a similar (but not the same) experience; it is a miracle that those people escaped the jaws of death with only some or very little in the way of damage caused by the extreme cold. Others have not been so lucky.

The heroine in this story is a walking, talking miracle in her own right. Being "dead" for eleven minutes has given Delaney the ability to be able to detect when someone is about to die. I'm not sure if this is a curse or a gift in Delaney's eyes, as I feel the author didn't go into enough depth about this, which gave the character an ambivalent feel. Her reactions felt wishy-washy and not strong enough. Where was the anger? The fear? If I was the one affected, I'm sure I would have had tantrums or be totally scared out of my mind and be a snotty mess. Delaney didn't have hysterics, but carried on as if it was normal to have this ability. Personally, I think she took it too calmly.

Troy Varga is a very enigmatic character. I couldn't make up my mind as to whether he is a good guy who is emotionally damaged by his "gift/curse" and makes bad choices, or the bad guy; his actions were dubious at best, and murderous at worst.
I did, however, find myself liking Delaney's friend and next door neighbour, Decker. He may act like an idiot at times, but he has a good heart and I fell a little in love with him myself.

The story is full of twists and turns, with lots of suspense as to who Troy is and what he wants with Delaney. There is also a few shocking moments, and one scene containing Carson which had me in tears. Therefore, a tissue may be required for some readers. I did find the scene prior to the ending a bit of a let down, as I didn't expect it to end in that way. However, I can understand why Troy did what he did, even though I don't agree with the way he went about it. I love Delaney's and Decker's growing relationship, even though there were a few sticky moments where angst got in the way; I am glad that they managed to sort out their issues.

Megan Miranda has written a wonderful debut YA romance novel. I did find some of the characters a bit lacking in development and needed fleshing out a bit more. Her writing style was fast paced enough to keep me hooked, but the flow was not as fluid as it could have been. However, I cannot say if these issues have been fixed since I read the original and not the re-released version. I am now looking forward to reading her other books, Hysteria and Vengeance, as soon as I can.

I recommend this book if you love YA romance novels full of mystery and suspense. - Lynn Worton
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 23 February 2012
The thing about "Fracture" that got me hooked was it's premise. As a reader, I felt like I was being questioned: "What would I do if I was about to die?" and "Would I want to live if I was suffering?". These questions truly plagued me throughout the book, until I had about four chapters left and the book went downhill.

I'll start with what I loved about "Fracture". The characters were beautifully developed, it's great to be able to describe a character well after finishing the book and still have a little connection with how they felt and an understanding of their story. The problem I had was, although the characters were believable and I could imagine them as real people, I just didn't feel they were that new or unique. With the exception of Delaney, our leading lady, the other characters felt like any other Young Adult character plucked out of any other Young Adult book.

I could look past this though because the concept for the plot was a great one: Delaney Maxwell should be dead. She was dead. Until she wasn't anymore and the doctors declared her a miracle. So what's the big deal, story over right? Wrong. Delaney doesn't feel normal anymore, there's something not right, a pulling sensation towards certain people. And who is Troy? The mysterious boy who understands Delaney's "gift" and seems to know who she is? You'll have to read it to find out.

Overall, a really good idea with great potential. I loved that we almost begin to question ourselves (It reminded me a little of Jodi Picoults writing style in that sense). The romance between various characters was also quite interesting, and from Delaney's perspective it was even better. The problem I had, aside from the unoriginal characters which I could overlook, was that towards the end of the novel Delaney became annoying. She spiraled into a character almost unrecognisable from her original personality and I was left feeling disappointed by her decline. Otherwise, an interesting concept that I would gladly recommend.
on 15 May 2013
I've had this book for a while but only decided to read it recently. Or rather, I found somewhere to slot it into my ever-growing to be read pile. I'm so glad I did find time to bump it up the pile because I thought it was fantastic.

I think what made me want to read Fracture was the premise of it. It sounded so intriguing. A girl surviving 11 minutes under water? Hmm. I had to know more. I was expecting it to be like most Young Adult books, girl has a special power, meets mysterious boy, tragedy etc. etc., but Fracture to me although similar to most YA books is different. It seemed much more intense to me.

The characters were well developed although I could've probably placed Delaney in any YA novel and she wouldn't have been out of place. Troy is the character that makes this book though in my opinion. He was an excellent character, deeply disturbing and he is what made Fracture have a completely different feel to it. He's definitely a memorable character. He gave the book a very sinister feel.

I liked how the ending wasn't a happy, unrealistic ending. All of Delaney's problems weren't miraculously fixed. It makes it feel more real. It's a dark ending and there are loose ends but I do think Fracture is well worth reading.
on 7 November 2013
The main character is a 17 year old Maine High School student who suffers an accident just before the Christmas holidays. After the accident she has a special power.

It takes a while for the story to get going, about a 100 pages or so. Up until then it's filled by the thoughts and daily life of a 17 year old girl, does this boy fancy her, the other girls in the class are prettier/uglier than her, will she pass the Math exam, etc.

Then a new character is introduced, an older man, a 19 year old, that shakes things up. You then get a love triangle, the older guy or the boy next door.

It's all fairly predictable stuff. You could easily see this being made into a teen movie with a younger Cameron Diaz being cast as the lead.

There is definitely a YA feel to the book. If you enjoy reading young adult books, then this is for you. If, however it has been many years since you were 17 you might want to pass.
on 30 May 2012
Just one quick little rant that I have before I start the review - Delaney and Decker? I mean what were their parents smoking when they named their children? I know these aren't the weirdest names that YA fiction has to offer but maybe that's because they are American names, ones which I'm not used to.

Fracture is just one of those books that sends chills up your spine. I was describing certain scenes to my sister and it just gave me that thrilling feeling. One scene that literally gave me goosebumps was Delaney describing how many minutes she was underwater and also when they talk about your knowledge due to where you live - One thing people from Maine can do? Rescue people who have fallen through the ice.

Fracture as a concept was a good one, it's one where you don't know what to expect, will it be paranormal? psychological? I liked that it leant both ways making you question everything that Delaney was thinking. It was an incredibly short, conciese read that went by without you realising. I love that there were some more creepy/ eerie moments due to Delaney's 'power' or attraction to those who are dying, those scenes had a scary feel, but in a good way.

I also felt that the plot kind of stopped and started, the pace slowing and then speeding up suddenly. It made it hard to get used to but then it set the tone for those sections; such as the slower section were normally the creepy ones that just added to the suspense.

Fracture is a great standalone that'll you'll find simple, enjoyable but utterly thrilling.
on 4 January 2013
I started reading Fracture at hour 21 of a 24-hour read-a-thon that I participated in in April, and if I'm completely honest, I picked it up because I was looking for an easy read. The idea of the book is a good one, and although I'm not the biggest paranormal fan out there, I liked that it wasn't about vampires, or werewolves or paranormal creatures as such, but more psychological paranormal.

Delaney is a likeable character- she's not overly popular or drop-dead-gorgeous, instead she's just a normal girl who finds herself in an increasingly disturbing situation, and I really liked Decker, who stuck with her through everything. I didn't find Troy as intriguing as I think he was intended to be.

I loved Ms. Miranda's writing style - clean and well balanced with good dialogue, and the whole story is well-paced.

Parts of Fracture are intense and emotional and the climax had me flipping furiously through the pages, but I really wish there had been more focus on the paranormal element (yeah, I just said that. Really!) which would have taken it from a good book to a great book.