TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 25 May 2013
Just as I like it. I bought it for my son aged 12 quite a while back and bought all the other books in the series too. Higher Institute of Villainous Education is just over the top and it is great.
Do not think that the author condones crime. To the contrary, the Institute is the brainchild of Dr Nero (yes, you read right) to preserve the old fashion type of villains (you know , the refined, highly intelligent ones, the ones who will never grab an old lady's handbag but are most ruthless and devious and think of the most evil plots in the world) as the world was taken over by really bad mannered villains.
It is funny but there is also the underlying theme of camaraderie and loyalty. Well, imagine Harry Potter and his side kicks, and you have the essence of the brightest student in HIVE, Otto Malpense. (But far from me to compare the two, no way, totally different books and plots). You have the blundering Nigel Darkdoom, the always starving Franz, ninja wannabe Wing, Laura the hacker and Shelby the Barbie doll.
You have all the ingredients you need to have the perfect ''book'' boarding school.
And of course, you have Raven. The most feared assassin in the world, who now acts as Dr Nero's bodyguard and ''problem solver''. And Raven is a ''she''. Which is good, because in HIVE, Mark Walden has made a good balance between girls and boys power.
I recommend it to girls and boys alike. Teens and adults alike.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 26 July 2011
I think the HIVE stories should have stopped with the destruction of Overlord (Zero Hour) because it is difficult to sustain the same pace of story telling now that the psychotic AI is no more. In all fairness, it was a good entertaining read but I was a bit disappointed. There were flashbacks into Raven's mysterious past that I felt were just there to make up the number of pages. They did not add to the story (except the last one). Raven did not even feel like the ''world deadliest assassin''. I also felt a bit let down by the 'hunt'plot. I expected something more spectacular (in the way of HIVE)- this was too easy. The success of all past HIVE is due to the outrageous plots and the cheekiness of the Alpha team best students (Otto, Wing, Laura, Shelby) flanked by the blundering Franz and his sidekick Nigel and Raven doing her ninja stuff. This book was too tamed, a bit bland by comparison. It may also be so because I have read all the HIVE books in one go, whereas someone who had not would not find it repetitive. Having said that, I am a fan of HIVE and I have this feeling that After Shock is only the preliminary for something more substantial, more "HIVE". So, I will wait eagerly for the next instalment because I hope more questions will be answered (ie. I'd love to how Nero met and rescued Natalya as I know now she was sent to kill him.). After all, didn't we get a glimpse of Hive mind back in Otto's head? Now, this is more like it..I just hope I do not have to wait too long...
on 19 January 2012
"Borrowing" from Harry Potter, Artemis Fowl and even James Bond, book one of the H.I.V.E series is a highly entertaining romp drawing from all of the previously mentioned books.

Mark Walden has created likeable villains and manages to make the reader care about people who break the law. Pretty impressive.

Focusing on a group of extremely talented children, Walden has introduced a school for criminals complete with Hogwarts style teachers. Seriously, JK Rowling will probably be calling her solicitors about this! The book follows a small group of these kids as they try to escape from the seemingly inescapable establishment.

Imitation is a form of flattery, and a good story is a good story. Read this book, enjoy the similarities to others and immerse yourself in a highly entertaining page turner.
on 3 December 2013
Another of my try in the 99p sale purchases, loved it so much I bought the rest of the series so far straight away and have the next one due out on pre order. Think harry potter meets bond meets alex rider meets dr evil! Just fantastic sci fi escapism read.
I would say a great book to get a reluctant young reader into books, I am an adult who loves a good young adult book and this whole series are amazing books (and not just me who thinks it got 3 other adult friends to buy and they all love the series too)
treat a teenager or indulge your inner teenager and give it a go
on 28 October 2013
I purchased this book among with others in the series for my grandsons when they come to visit, as the classic 'Disney stories' are now far too young a read for them. I think they appreciated having something more of their own age to read at bedtime, and are the sort of books they read from their school libraries. So yes, I think they were a good buy.
on 28 October 2013
on 1 June 2017
This is gripping from start to finish an exelant read for teens to adults. Telling the story of Raven from being a child up to present day with flashbacks on how she was trained to become the worlds number one assassin.
on 22 December 2015
I am loving the Hive series at the moment. I plan on following it to the end.
on 14 February 2018
My 14 year old son is on book 3 after 2 weeks, was struggling to find any that he was interested in after the cherub series but loves these too.
on 31 July 2013
H.I.V.E is a Very very good book, lots of twists and turns and lots of action too there are many dangers that Otto faces and i love this series of books and i also love the fact that there is so many of them too ! i could read these over and over again without getting bored ! I would reccomend this to anyone who loves a good read.

- Jon