on 17 February 2009
I spent a long time deciding which version of the paperback books to buy (the adult or children editions). Although the front cover art-work on the adult editions is more attractive (to me, as an adult), the print is terrible in comparison (tiny, blocky font on cheaper/rougher paper), and sadly makes the books feel very cheap. I went for the children's edition, and have not regretted it! The books in this edition are set on good quality paper, with a easy-on-the-eye font, and come in a sturdy flip-top cardboard case. Look no further!
2323 comments| 409 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 March 2016
I am a man of mature years (69) I have read all the books 5 times, seen all the films but still get so much enjoyment from them. I will never stop reading them. Have ust heard that my 10 year old grandson has now been 'bitten' by the HP bug, so will be buying him th omplete set Kindle version, and will gie him th adult cover book boxed set I have.
on 29 January 2010
I think most people considering purchasing this set have previously read some or all of the Harry Potter books. So we all like Harry. The question is do we like this set.

I read all the reviews here before I purchased. The comments about the quality of the paper, the binding, the small margins and font, the inconsistencies of the spines and the damage to the slipcase from shipping are all true.

That said, the set is fine.

This is not a set of a special edition or printing. These are the same editions that were recently sold separately to the mass market. The publisher has wrapped them in a slipcase and is selling them as a boxed set. Which is fine.

I would have been happy to pay extra for a boxed set with acid free paper, cloth bindings, etc. but it doesn't exist.

I would recommend purchasing the Bloomsbury Children Edition Boxed Set over this one. The paper and the bindings are the same but the margins and font are larger and there are illustrations (always a nice touch).

While I read and enjoyed the Scholastic editions, I would not recommend them. I was upset to find out they changed the author's language for the U.S. audience. Bad form.
88 comments| 242 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 October 2014
I've been waiting a long time to buy a hardback collection of Harry Potter, but none of the other editions seemed worth the money.

This one is definitely worth it! The box itself is well made and sturdy and has the gorgeous gold designs on it. The new covers are also stunning, with the titles picked out in gold stars. The best thing is the inclusion of a map of the hogwarts grounds and the contents pages.

This is definitely a box set that any fan of Harry Potter would want to own!
on 26 August 2015
Arrived in beautiful condition, and earlier than expected. The covers are astounding and the design of the box is phenomenal. Would definitely recommend to any potter heads out there! Great value for money.
on 25 December 2013
Despite that my order was late more than one week of expected delivery, I am very happy with this purchase.
I was choosing between signature collection and this new one. As there was not many reviews on this one, I was skeptical to buy it, but I decided to buy it.
To start with the box, it is mostly black-and-white box with the drawings. Something new and I found it very attractive.
For the book itself, I love the new covers- there is no discussion. Comparing to the signature addition (which is white font with drawings), this one is just beautiful drawings with nice attractive colors of each book and an amazing soft-velvety touching.
The text.... before I buy I was asking this questions for one of reviewer,but did not receive the answer.
Anyway, the text is good (not small and not big). My daughter noticed that the distance between words are quite good, so it is easy to read.
All-in-all I am very happy with this purchase and more happy that my daughter really love it, as it is her first HP books and present for Christmas!
review image review image review image review image review image
on 17 March 2010
I am an American, but I prefer the British version of this series, as in my opinion it is what was written. The box set came exactly as pictured and everything was in terrific condition. I would recomend this anytime.
on 25 November 2011
I ordered this Harry Potter Hardback Boxed Set (Signature Edition) as well as Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them: Comic Relief Edition,Quidditch Through the Ages: Comic Relief Edition, and The Tales of Beedle the Bard, Standard Edition. I have the US editions of the books, but I wanted the UK editions.

As far as the content goes, I obviously love the books very much. They're my absolute favorite books and I'm very excited to be able to read the UK editions.

The Box:
It's a pretty box. I think it's made of cardboard, but the surface is very smooth and nicely decorated. The box closes with a magnet in the front flaps. Just be careful. Although the magnet is good enough to keep the box closed when it's on a shelf, it's not strong enough to bear the weight of all the books if the box is tilted. If, like me, you decide to turn the box over to look the pictures on all the sides, make sure to hold the flaps closed! (Fortunately, the box was on the bed when I did this, so the books didn't fall out or anything.)

The box for the paperback set looks really nice as well (just from the pictures I've seen, I think I like it even more than the hardback box) but I decided to go with the hardback set, since I read the books so often.

The books:
I really like the way the books look. There's a picture on the front and the back of each book, as well a quote from a positive review of Harry Potter on the back of each book. Each book is a different color, and the ribbon markers match the color of each book. I've grown attached to the US illustrations, since I grew up with them, but these are really nice as well.

For those who may be curious: The UK editions are smaller in size than the US editions. There are fewer pages, and if you lay a UK edition book on top of its US counterpart (which I tried with Order of the Phoenix) the UK book is about 3 cm shorter and 2 cm narrower. The margins are smaller, there is no table of contents, and there aren't pictures at the beginning of each chapter. (By contrast, the UK Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them and Quidditch Through the Ages are thicker than their US counterparts.)

I tried to quickly inspect the books, since I'd read that some people found damage. The only damage I found was a tiny dent in the top edge of Prisoner of Azkaban. It's not really noticeable, though, and it's not a reason for me to send the book back.

Shipping Information for US buyers:
I live in the US and had no trouble ordering this. Shipping was very reasonable: 15.95 GBP for all the items. The total price (this box set + Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them + Quidditch Through the Ages + The Tales of Beedle the Bard + shipping) came to 93.00 GBP ~ 152.12 USD. The whole package was delivered very quickly, in three days, which was less than the promised delivery time.

If you go to a search engine and type in "amazon uk to us shipping" you'll get a page with Amazon UK's North America Delivery Rates. I tried to calculate what it would be before ordering, so I could anticipate how much more money I'd have to save up, and my calculation was correct. Just follow the directions on the page. (When calculating the shipping price, the box set counts as one book, by the way, not seven.)

I'd definitely recommend these books. They'd make a good present for a Harry Potter fan or for someone who loves to read, but hasn't read the series yet.
44 comments| 34 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 January 2011
The narration is superb and Stephen Fry keeps consistent characterising and voicing thoughout. Genius. And he's reading all the books - it goes on for days and days.

Mr Fry gets all 5 stars but the disks themselves drop the rating badly. The indexing of the tracks is a mess (even the title of one of the CDs is wrong) so if you try copying to a PC to load onto an MP3 Player or itunes (lets face it, who's going to carry around a box of 120 CDs to listen to on the go?) you'll need to spend quite some time relabeling the tracks so they play in order.

I half suspect this has been done deliberately to stop you trying to transfer to MP3 - why else would the track numbers keep changing between leading zeros and letter "O"s - surely not an accident unless done by someone completely incompetent? And with the average track being only 3 minutes long there's a lot to go through and put right.
55 comments| 49 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 December 2007
Well, many have written about the stories of each book and if you are thinking in buying a boxed set you have probably read all that. So, I will just keep to this particular boxed set as an all.

The look of the boxed set as you can see it on the picture is quite close to what you get in reality. The books and case, being mostly black, give a very sober aspect to the set. The binding is reasonable. I still did not read The Order of the Phoenix (the largest volume) so I cannot say surely that it will handle the reading, but it seems it will.

As another reviewer pointed out the pages have very narrow margins which means they are a bit crowded with text. This influences negatively our first impression of the books. Nevertheless, as the stories are fast paced one tends to forget this issue. On the other hand having larger margins would surely mean breaking some of the largest volumes in two (or three) to keep them at reasonable dimensions.

The paper used is also of reasonable quality, yielding a nice flexibility and resistance. It would ease the reading if it was softer (a bit like Bible paper) as the books cannot be left open in any page.

All books have black dust jackets with Harry Potter written in embossed gold letters. Below the dust jackets there are plain black covers with gold lettering on the spine.

But, apart from the notes I left above, one must not forget the price one pays for this set. So the options taken regarding margin size, binding and paper quality are, I think, a compromise to attain such a reasonable price. And I would rate it as 5 stars. So, why am I giving 4?

The 4 stars are due to some details which I find could have been taken into account without interfering with the production costs.

If you look to the boxed set picture you will notice that the first four books have vertical lettering on the spine and the last three have horizontal lettering. This looks a bit weird. Why should anyone think in doing the lettering different after the fourth book?. Specially if they had to reduce the horizontal lettering sizes depending of the size of the book? This annoys me quite a bit. Why not stick with the first idea?

The second issue which I think could have been better looked at is the size of the case. Well, the books are neatly packaged inside, very securely. The problem is how to take them out to read!! As all the books are tightly together and because they fully reside inside the case one cannot easily put a finger on each side or even on the top to take them out. Books 1 and 7 are the hardest. So I keep them slightly out of the case to manage to take them to read which in general means I have to push the case a bit from the shelf...

So, for these two issues which I think could have been properly dealt with I give this set 4 stars. Apart from them this is a nice set, at a reasonable price, to read this great set of stories!