1,743
Format: Hardcover|Change

VINE VOICEon 2 September 2011
Having bought HFW's River Cottage Every Day and been impressed with the vegetarian options available in that offering I jumped at the opportunity to buy this book and have not been disappointed. ALL recipes are vegetarian and are split in to the following, beautifully photographed, chapters (including some recipes):

Comfort Food and Feasts - aubergine pamigiana, pinto bean chilli
Heart Salads - spelt salad with squash and fennel, fish-free salad nicoise
Raw Assemblies - red cabbage, parsnip, orange and dates
Hefty Soups - Mexican tomato and bean soup, ribollita
Bready Things - vegiflette toastie, various rarebits
Store-cupboard Suppers - spring onion gallete, oven-roasted roots frittata
Pasta and Rice - baby carrot and pea risotto, vegeree
Mezze and Tapas - carrot hummus, Cambodian wedding day dip
Roast, Grill and BBQ - roasted aubergine boats
Side Dishes (including sweet asides) - runner beans with tomato and garlic, pumpkin and raisin tea loaf

Each chapter is stacked full of recipes that will keep you going with something new for a while. In addition, and this is something that runs through all HFW cookbooks, all recipies are achievable, quick/relatively quick to cook and contain ingredients that can all be purchased locally rather than online. I haven't found a single recipe that I will not try and again, in keeping with previous HFW cookbooks, he has outlined simple variations on the recipies and has thought about practicalities of some recipies by suggesting them as a simple, healthy alternatives to a boring sandwitch at lunch.

A fantastic cookbook. Highly recommended.
2323 comments| 449 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 31 October 2011
First let me start by saying I'm not a huge fan of Mr. Fearnley-Whittingstall. Generally seems a bit overblown to me. I say this not to be mean, but to emphasise that I am not a devotee of River Cottage and its fearless leader...just this book, which is absolutely amazing.

I've recently been focusing on the need to add more veg to my diet, but all my vegetarian cookbooks either try to replace meat (think tempeh and nut loaf),just chuck the veg with some pasta or into a pie, or have a list of exotic ingredients as long as your arm.

This book doesn't focus on what's missing in a vegetarian diet, but focuses on the veg and how to make them taste great in a number of simple ways. I've had the book for a month and used it at least 10 times. The recipes are easy to follow, the suggestions for modifications are brilliant, and the food just tastes good. Even my carnivore husband has complimented the recipes and asked for more!

Which brings me to another point - these recipes are very easy to chuck some chicken or fish into if you fancy. You just don't happen to miss it if you don't.

I have recommended this book to all my friends and will continue to use it on a regular basis. It's fab!
1818 comments| 557 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 October 2009
Like the previous reviewer, I also own a good number of Mr F-W books and love the exposition about all things close to his stomach. However they can be a challenge if you're looking for a bit of quick inspiration or wanting to find a quick trick with the contents of your fridge - more labour of love than labour-saving (first fatten your pig...).

But this is a different kind of book. River Cottage Everyday is quite simply one of the more lovely and useful cookery books that I've been given in a while. It looks gorgeous - elegant layout, witty sketches and scribbles leaping from the pages alongside a photograph on every spread. And the recipes have had me slavering, or was it possibly even slobbering, as I've leafed through. The Lunch(box) section is great - beef with mustardy lentils and mint, pasties and frittata alongside three different 'slaws'. My kids are determined that we must create some of the fresh smoothies and the fishy section with quick fish soups, Thai fish curry and smoked fish and spinach omlette looks easy and yum. Oh and there's a whole section of imaginative (and potentially store cupboard friendly) salads.

I'm really chuffed with this book; whilst it is clearly for people who love food, it's been put together with such obvious enthusiasm that I reckon it's going to be an entertaining and easy ride from fridge to table. Definitely a book to keep by my side this autumn/winter and a cracking alternative to best-beloved tomes like Nigel Slater's Kitchen Diaries or my other firm favourite, Sarah Raven's Garden Cookbook.
44 comments| 231 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 October 2009
Over the years I bought enough Cook books to wallpaper my entire house at least twice with their pages. Most of them feature recipes with tons of ingredients you either never heard of, are not freely available and blow your budget. Most celeb chefs don't seem to realise that while you cook dinner, you supervise childrens homework, break up arguements and stop the dog from raiding the bin ect. This is my first River Cottage recipe book, but definately not the last. We've tried a fair few recipes already and they were all lovely, easy to follow. Most recipes are more then suitable to cook during the week and won't blow you budget. I can confidently recommend this book!
0Comment| 118 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 October 2009
As a huge fan of the River Cottage series I was straight on to buying this book to add to the collection (I own every other one) and I was genuinely suprised by really how good this is. I find some of Hugh's other books can be a little preaching, which is fine with me because I agree with what he says but I can see how this makes the series daunting to others. Not so with this book. It is a plain and fairly simple recipe book encouraging families to have a go at eating homemade food. The instructions are fairly easy to follow and almost all of the recipes have a really good sized colour photo. Hugh tackles every meal, snacks, baking and recipies that can be cooked by all the family. There is a wide variety of recipies from the classics to more inventive dishes but there will be something for everyone. The only reason i only give the book 4 stars is I feel that a total novice cook wouldn't find the book as useable but for most people who can crack an egg this is a great start if you want to start cooking and stop relying on ready meals.
on 19 December 2010
After watching the tv series I was eager to purchase this book and get cracking at the recipes. I made the marbled lemon curd muffins and they were a disaster! Heavy and soggy. Not one for having many failures I decided to watch the episode ( which I had previously recorded )again. How different from the recipe in the book. Egg quantity was different. Also lemon curd was added to the mixture in the book recipe but put in the middle of the muffin on tv. Please get it right Hugh! This is the second time that I have wasted money on ingredients because weights and cooking temperatures were different in the books to what Hugh said in the tv series.
33 comments| 39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 December 2011
Having sat and watched the series, buying this book has helped me to feed a very fussy vegetarian child and has opened up our family use of veg. Some great, easy recipes. This comes from a very competent veggie cook!
on 4 September 2011
What a marvellous book! I have been a fan of all things River Cottage for a while, but being a vegetarian the number of recipes available to me in the other RC books has sometimes been limited. This is a fantastic development from the original "Everyday" book, (which is also very good) and a very welcome one for someone who has been a vegetarian for almost 25 years. There is also lots of stuff for vegans too - well done Hugh!

Usually I skim through a new recipe book, and find a few things that look interesting, a lot that sound complicated or use unusual ingredients, and others that simply don't appeal. In this book, everything sounds interesting, accessible and straightforward. Beautiful photos add to the appeal. Hugh also usefully includes a list of storecupboard ingredients which are the basis of many of his recipes, and this will help to ensure that you have everything you need to get cooking.
0Comment| 186 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 September 2011
Previously not really done Hughs books , too many toes and nose for me , being a veggie but this of course is perfect . Not as flash as the god Ottelenghi . This is more down to earth easy peasy stuff , using what you already have in the cupboard [ with out having to source weird ingredients or use every spoon in the drawer] .A few old classics too , with a different twist . Already made some great meals from this . Does what it says- veg every day . A must for those people who live off soya mince or say " what do you possibly eat as a veggie ".
0Comment| 110 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 September 2011
Another wonderful book to add to the River Cottage collection and, whether accidentally or deliberate, seems to complete the set of Meat, Fish and now Veg. As an allotment veg grower this is an invaluable source of different and delicious options for those crops that sometimes turn into gluts!

Within the first chapter alone there are so many flavourful and interesting recipes that it just makes you want to get cooking and this continues throughout what is a generous number of recipes. I am confident that all cooks will benefit from adding this book to their collection and will certainly not be disappointed!