1,110
Format: Paperback|Change

on 5 June 2017
I only read this book because it was the monthly choice for the reading book club that I belong to.It was not the genre that I would have normally chosen from, but the point of the club is to widen our reading , so that we experience books that are out of our normal choice. It worked for me!!
The book gives a deep insight into how the people of Guernsey lived during the German occupancy, in the War. Their resilience is clearly shown with the development of their "Guernsey potato peel pie" and the characters are pleasant and well defined. There are many snippets of war time determination, friendships, and incidents which I found informative . I liked the way there were insights of German acts of kindness and empathy- it's all too often portrayed in films and books that all Germans were the " baddies".
Different scenes are vividly described, often with great humour, which makes this book an enjoyable read. I particularly liked the incident with the pigs head !!!
I wouldn't rate this book as a stunning read, but more a down to earth enjoyable one.
on 7 June 2017
This book is beautiful. It will make you laugh and cry at the same time. It will also shock you and through the letters bring out some of the horrors of war but in a very human and positive way. If I could give this more stars I would. Am going to buy this as a gift for so many friends and book a trip to Guernsey. A must read.
on 7 March 2017
I thought at first I would not like the book but as it has progressed, I have enjoyed reading it. The book throws light on the occupation of the Channel Islands and what it was like to live under a regime which is currently featuring on TV at present. The book is well written and has touches of humour which contrast with some of the darker truths.
on 1 April 2017
Fabulous book and love the concept of letters, a dying art brought to life. Gives a real insight into ordinary lives after the 2nd World War in a heart felt, warm way.
on 2 June 2017
A very good read, I wanted to read it because I wanted to know how the name of the potato peel pie came into the society, and now I want to go to Guernsey. Also there a film out next year called Guernsey which has idea's from the book, they have been filming scene in Bideford Devon where I live. I love the book.
on 29 May 2017
This was a fascinating read....took me a bit of time to get used to the narrative.....but once I did - I was hooked! Recommended!
on 23 June 2017
This is an easy to read book and is worth reading but the story and characterisation are not overly credible and don't bear scrutiny. It has the feel of a fairy story about a serious subject.
on 23 May 2017
I loved this book, the characters are so vivid, the style refreshing, the story extraordinary and I had to read it slowly so it wouldn't be over too soon and I would have to leave all the people I had met.
on 25 June 2017
I love this book and whilst I knew the story well I still galloped through it with just as much pleasure
on 12 March 2017
Thoroughly enjoyed it cleverly written through letters portraying the lives and suffering of the people of Guernsey during the war! It was sad and funny at times! It made me want to visit Guernsey.