Format: Hardcover|Change

on 4 February 2014
I have a small collection of books on curing and smoking and this is by far the best I've read. I may be a sad sack (don't bother to writ in) but I actually sat up last night until 0130 and read it from cover to cover.
It's extremely detailed and easy to follow in terms of techniques, ingredients and health and safety issues (pretty important when you're curing a salami and you like your family and friends enough not to want to kill them) and the recipes are so good I'm salivating as I sit here. Inspiring and highly recommended.
on 3 February 2014
Well illustrated and well explained book for those wanting to take steps into home curing and smoking. Steve Lamb takes you through the processes from preparing the meat to curing, smoking and slicing and explains the principals involved in each step in an easy concise way. This is truly the best book I have so far on this topic, each item is explained in such a way that you want to have a go! If you have never tried but want to this is the book to start you on the journey to cure your own bacon and other meats, you won’t be disappointed by the results when you follow Steve’s step by step guide.

I would recommend this book to anyone like me who thought it would be good to have a go but have yet too. This puts all those concerns over storage, mould etc to bed with a nice cuddle from Steve.

This book far exceeded my expectations having purchased other books on the subject. Don't let the size fool you, it's packed, its easy to read with loads of pictures especially where it is needed in the butchery area showing the end results.

If its for yourself and fancy a go at curing or you know someone who is interested this is the book to have.
VINE VOICEon 23 June 2014
I bought this book following HFW's article on hot smoking in the Guardian.

It's an interesting and informative book written by a man who is obviously an enthusiast, indeed he could possibly be described as a fanatic. However, to an extent, this is the problem with it as well. I've bought a small cheap smoker of the type HFW talks about in his article, and what I wanted was recipes for it rather than long complicated essays about making your own bacon and salami which is, I admit, well beyond me.

When you get to the right area of the book it is full of interesting stuff, and the recipes seem to be both tasty and practical, but there's an awful lot of dead wood to chop through for the 'backyard smoker'.

Still, this book is less than a tenner from Amazon, so it's a bargain and I can read, and dream, about making my own bacon...
on 6 February 2014
Unlike some of the books on this subject, Steven Lamb gets stuck into the how and why of curing and its science. There is a good mix of information and recipes but it's more of a curing book than a smoking book which I leaves you wanting more The butchery sections are excellent for a beginner to follow too, and a good reminder for those who do have the skills...

Just one small error in the book - in the basic brine recipe it should be 300gm of salt to 4540ml of water, not 454ml..... A quick email to RCHQ has illicited a reply from Steven - top marks here !

Can we have a handbook on sausages next ...??
on 10 July 2015
This is the American edition of the book. It has pounds and cups as well as metric measures on all recipes. I am not sure how the text differs from the British edition, but it is different, because there is a note in the back saying that they have tried to keep the style of the original.
on 25 February 2015
It's not right there are only five stars available, as it deserves so much more. I can't say enough good things about this book.

I love this book, and have made back bacon, streaky bacon, and currently have pancetta going in the fridge, along with more streaky. The instructions are precise, accurate and if that doesn't impress you, it's a damn good read (the chorizo did it).

I enjoy the English way of preparation, simple flavours done well that enhance the meat.

If you've someone in your life even thinking about doing something like this - a good choice of present this is.

One tiny thing - read each recipe completely first. Some of them reserve certain ingredients for when the product comes out of the cure, and it's tempting to measure and mix each ingredient as weighed. Not a biggie - just saying.

Leg arriving tomorrow for prosciutto. Only a year to wait on that one.

Attached is a photo of my first run of back bacon for your future enjoyment...
review image
on 3 February 2014
Thanks to Steven, I made my own bacon and there's no turning back now. This inspiring book has made me think twice about buying supermarket bacon, and now I'm turning my hand to chorizo. Steven's warm, clear writing style reflects his fantastically unique approach at the River Cottage Cookery School. Genuinely life-changing for me. Highly recommend.
on 25 August 2014
Really informative and has been very useful to us (having just processed our first homegrown pig). Only wish it was better laid out and with an index and more precise 'recipe' style presentation for actual curing. Can't fault the content though, so far so good with our bacons and hams.
on 15 July 2015
I am new to meat curing and all these various websites and sources were very contradictory or vague to the point where i wondered if they had ever even cured meat, this book ironed out all the issues i had with meat curing and made it straight forward.

Great gift would recommend along with any of the other river cottage handbooks! Love 'em.
on 10 August 2015
Very good book that covers all the aspects of the trade. I have read a few books on this matter but this is one of the easiest laid out and has everything you need in one place. Go get smoking and if you wasn't t tester for your goods fell free to send me some.