TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 4 December 2009
Something is wrong with her, Rin is just sure of it.

She doesn't feel at home in the Forest, where she has lived her whole life. Razo, her favorite brother, has gone off to the city. She is left as Ma's shadow. Rin has no idea who she is.

But when Razo comes home for a visit, Rin goes back to the city with him. To be one of the Queen's ladies in waiting.

Soon after her arrival, war has come to Bayern. Rin accompanies Isi, the Queen, and her closet friends, in search of those who want to hurt Bayern. Rin thinks of them as the Fire Sisters. Together, they go into the Forest towards the land of Kel.

Shannon Hale's writing is irresistible to me. I love it. I just feel for the characters in the story. I am pulled in and need to know what is going to happen. I felt Rin's raw emotions, whether it was pain or happiness. It was so fun to read, and it got really intense in some parts!

FOREST BORN, I think, is geared more towards a younger reader, but really, anyone who reads it will enjoy it.

Reviewed by: Ashley B
on 10 March 2013
This is a novel full of disarming humility and naivete. The way hale weaves such an intricate image is spellbinding. So that although you are touching upon such fictitious fantasies, they seem everyday. And I find myself looking at the trees. Surely this is what only the best novels do; influence you after the final page turn. I truly recommend this and the rest of Hales four Hayden novels to anybody with an open mind.
on 15 July 2013
I didn't enjoy this book as much as the first three of the Bayern series. I found Rin to be quite annoying and I guess I was a little disappointed that compared to the previous lead characters Rin was lacking in substance and was more or less just a tag along rather than standing out as a lead.
on 10 January 2011
I was a little worried about how this book could ever live up to it's three predecessors. Although I loved The Goose Girl and River Secrets, and liked Enna Burning, I was wondering if Shannon Hale could manage to pull off another one. I didn't need to worry at all!

Forest Born was beautifully written, with the trademark lyrical descrtiptions that I've come to expect from Hale. Rin was an engaging character, despite a wavery start, and we got to see plenty of Razo, Dasha, Enna, Finn, Isi and all my old friends! Though she wasn't as funny as Razo, or as strong as Enna, I thought she was a very deep character, with a likeable calm about her. And, of course, Razo was there anyway, to provide some comic relief!

This story was quite a good bit darker than some of the others, but in a very good way- I couldn't stop myself turning the pages, and I got several huge surprises throughout the book.

I would definitely recommend this book, but it is probably better if you've at least read The Goose Girl first, preferably the whole series. As ever, I loved this book, and will be definitely purchasing any more written by Hale!
on 13 March 2013
I would say that these books are aimed at the 10-15 year old girl, but both my daughter and I loved them. Shannon Hale is a wonderful writer, she really transports you to the land of Bayern. I would describe these books a more grown up fairy tale, with a strong female heroine.
on 12 August 2011
Shannon Hale's story's are full of girl power, which I love! Danger looms at every turn, and an old nemesis for Isi comes back to haunt. It is a wonderful story!! Only thing I wanted that I didn't get was a romance for Rin...but we do have a wedding, so I was OK.

Not my favorite of the series, but still pretty good. I really could get lost in Bayern and enjoy all my new freinds there!

If you've not read the series, you must. They are very cute, but full of adventure and romance. What's not to like?!
on 18 December 2010
Shannon Hale continues the books of Bayern with the fourth book Forest Born. It's a fantastic finish to the series. I absolutely love the books of Bayern and have been riveted all the way through. Shannon Hale has a beautiful style of writing using similes and metaphors that enable to you to picture exactly the events occurring.
There were twists and turns I never would have dreamed were coming. A fantastic author, one of my favourites! This book won't disappoint
A title that I had great hope for and was sadly disappointed. It is well written but the way in which its set itself up I really couldn't get into. The characters were clunky and I felt that the audience to which it was aimed was a bit younger than the actual readership, but the key part to this is that the reader has to well and truly love the whole fairy tale style which is the pretext of this offering. It may have been better had it been written more as a graphic novel in a similar way to the authors Jack book and it could well have grown had the author simplified some of the aspects for a younger audience but overall it's a title that is just confusing. A real shame as I know this author has some real talent.