Customer reviews

on 19 March 2017
A gorgeous book. So many lovely descriptions, recipes, illustrations and photographs.
on 22 June 2011
I do agree with the previous review - this is a lovely collection of recipes conveniently organised by the calendar. I have cooked a couple of the June recipes - broadbeans (cooked unpodded with ham which was new for me - and absolutely delicious) and roast welsh lamb which I can lay my hands on. Instructions are very clear and specific.

But it is not a cookbook that requires access to Welsh products (prawn laksa anyone?)in order to use and enjoy. There are many very straightforward - and one or two more complex recipes - but they all look very practical and delicious. I can see myself using it throughout the year: apple bread and Caribbean pepper pot are on the list for next week.

Physically it is an attractive book - well illustrated. Perhaps a tiny bit too much text and not quite enough recipes but that is a small quibble. Handsomely illustrated cover - I am of the old school, however, I prefer a dustjacket for my cookery books but again not an important point. The recipes are the thing and these are excellent.
on 26 April 2011
As a proud Welshwoman I am always on the look out for exciting Welsh cookery books. My excitement was doubled when I noticed that here was a book not only about cooking in Wales - but it was also by one of my favourite cookery writers! (I loved her European Peasant Cookery).

The book is not brimfilled with the traditional Welsh recipes I had hoped for - but there are enough...... along with many exciting additions........ it's the sort of book that has you drooling within the first couple of pages. Partly because you want to eat the food - and partly because you are so very eager to cook the food. (Not sure I'll be trying the squirrel or snail recipes anytime soon though...... but never say never).

The recipes in general do not require a cupboard full of expensive and hard to source ingredients. (I do wish cookery writers would realise that we do not all live in big cities with access to Asian/Mediterranean Grocers).
11 Comment| 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 April 2012
This was a wonderful Christmas present,a journey through the year with recipes and family life, by writer Elizabeth Luard. I had resolved to read it a month at a time. However, April led into May, and June looked interesting.... hence, I have just finished it in April!
I particularly enjoyed the introductory sections to each month, about what is happening in her garden and in the countryside around the old house of Brynmerheryn, in Wales.I loved hearing about her grandchildren, and liked the different sort of illustrations, the atmospheric photographs, the little water colours which adorn the pages.There are some attractive cookery photographs, but I would have liked some more, as I like each recipe to have a photograph with it. However, the cost of this would probably have been too much, together with the requirement to make the book longer as a result.The author's friends and family, who she cooks for, must have a wonderful time when visiting her. I shall certainly be reading more books by this author. Thank you, Elizabeth Luard, for a lovely day.
PS And Yes, there are some great sounding recipes!
on 16 January 2012
This is one of my top ten favourite books, it is very beautiful and extremely practical. One thing the publishers didn't mention nor any of the previous reviewers is that many of the pages have beautiful little watercolours in their margins denoting something in the recipe or surrounding countryside. The photography is stunning, the photographer sees beauty in all sorts of things, her photos are just a bit different without being eccentric and really add to the visual appeal of the book.

The recipes are wonderful too, a mix of mediterranean and English, but often with an unsual twist and not too fussy, perfect for a farmhouse. My only issue is that there is a recipe for a pull-apart wreath bread which is a type of festive bun baked in a wreath shape as they do in Provence in the festive season so we're told. It is lovely to have this sort of thing, it's just what I want, but the photograph is of a raw egg on some dough and since I've never seen a wreath loaf because we don't have that tradition over here I'd love to have seen one in the book. But it's a minor point, I'll still make it and I have googled images so it's easily got round.

It's still one of the most beautiful books I've ever seen with wonderful recipes, lovely family pictures, engaging text and fantastic presentation. Even better is you can see the gorgeous spabby house (spabby = society for the protection of ancient buildings & generally means a building mostly in it's ancient state, not with double glazing a modern plaster, but loved with old sash windows and bumpy lime plaster). This is to me book heaven. Highly recommended.
on 10 August 2015
This was a very good read as well as a cook book. The recipes are great but the part that impressed me was the writing and tales of the Welsh Country where this excels. Cant recommend enough and have some of her other books so go get if you enjoy a read about a quiet serene life that has been forgotten in our hustle and bustle lifestyles now.
on 1 August 2014
Gorgeously produced book and well up to the author's usual exeptional standard. I've bought 3 copies now for various friends and each one has been delighted. Possibly the nicest cookery book in my collection of over 500.
on 14 August 2011
One of the reasons I am so enjoying this book, is the children and what they get up to when they are staying with the Granny. It evokes so many memories of my own childhood. I love the chapters before each month, and I love her style of writing.
As for the recipes, well they are mouthwatering and simple and I cant wait to get going.
on 14 July 2015
So glad to find this book, as I had enjoyed the series in Country Living magazine. Not so much a recipe book as a journal with recipes
on 13 January 2013
If you want to cook real food to give yourself and others nourishment of mind, body and spirit, then this is the book to buy. It is a joy to read, to look at Luard's gentle watercolors, and from which to cook any number of delicious dishes. With her track-record of cooking books, magazine articles, and other writing, Elizabeth Luard has established herself in the first-rank of not just food writers like the famed Elizabeth David and Jane Grigson, but that rarer thing: a multi-talented person who knows how to open her heart to living whether it is about food, herself, or the many places where she has lived and worked. How lucky to be one of her friends or grandchildren. I recommend this book to anyone who wants to cook honest food and have fun along the way by sharing Luard's enthusiasm for life. A woman to admire. A writer to read. A book to cook from wherever you live. Buy it.