Customer reviews

Format: Hardcover|Change

on 10 November 2013
I puchased this book to compliment my other 'unusual word' books as I have an interest in such. Alas, in this work there are so many words that are simply figments of the author's imagination. Having my suspicions early on, I decided to check a select few with my OED (full 20 volume set) and found the bulk of them not to be listed. Granted, OED2 was published in 1989, and many words have come into our language since that date, but I also checked on the OED website where OED3 is viewable in its most up to date form and still most of my selected list of words were not to be found.

Where listed words are 'real' words, I'm afraid Bowler's humour or should I say attempted humour intermingled with the definition is very poor indeed and strongly detracts from the book as a whole. There are many worthwhile 'unusual word' books out there, but this one is definitely a miss.

I would highly recommend Foyle's Philavery and Foyle's Further Philavery if unusual words are your bag.
on 22 December 2016
Great
on 20 December 2012
Does not disappoint.
If you enjoy the English language, literature and humour, and perhaps Stephen Fry, this is for you!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 4 June 2014
The title is rather tongue in cheek but the content is both fun and informative.

It contains a host of words (and their meanings) which have fallen out of use but can easily be introduced into conversation.

The book is nicely written, easy to follow and the words are well chosen.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 4 November 2011
.......if you get my drift! Each time I have a moment to pause for a minute or two in this most useful room in the house, I will pick up and read a few pages of the splendiferous words, their meanings, and contextual usages, and have fun imagining how I might bring any of the words into play personally in writing or in the general flow of conversation.

I have, however come to the conclusion that my using one or more words from this erudite selection would pass right over the heads of most people unnoticed and/or not understood, but with the smarter alecs prompt the riposte "he's read that Peter Bowler's book and is trying to be a clever devil!" Either way I would be ignored or mocked, so I am afraid that this book must remain in it's present position of convenience, for my amusement only during times of strain.

Nevertheless a jolly fine, amusing and interesting read in an arcane way.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 24 October 2015
This is a great book full of useful but little used words. In the main their meanings are well described without erroneous detail, but you don’t get far through the book before you conclude that the author really, really dislikes the music of Scott Joplin. The author also always points out when a word would be useful as an insult likely to escape being perceived as such due to the word being too obscure. This is a wonderful book for anyone who loves words, likes sneakily insulting people and isn’t a fan of Scott Joplin. I'm off to google Scott Joplin now because I don't know who he is, and it would be rather ironic if Scott Joplin enjoys an increase in popularity due to readers of Bowler's book seeking out Joplin's work.
on 2 April 2013
This was a perfect extra Christmas present for my son as he likes to show off sometimes with his command of the English language.
on 8 January 2013
This is a great book - thoroughly enjoyed by the receiver who spent many hours over christmas hoping to impress his guests.
on 26 April 2013
birthday present for a rather pedantic colleague, who immediately tried to find the rude words. . . . . .
on 13 March 2010
My wife doesn't understand me! Well she doesn't understand what I'm talking about since buying this book. Nor does she understand my interest in the arcane language contained within it. If you are a bit 'geeky' (modern useage not original defenintion) or perhaps a bit a**l you'll love the obscure often unused words, you'll find here. Sort of defeats the purpose of language as few will grasp these words meaning's, but perhaps that's why it'll make you feel superior. Not quite a dictionary as it doesn't give pronunciation - though personaly I did not find that an issue as many of the words have more familier roots so it's not difficult to work them out - or look them up. Author often sugests use for the words in contex (humerous).
The format is as a dictionary, so easy to locate the word if you can remember it. My only problem is I want to remember them all, which isn't easy.