Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 6 October 2010
I don't agree with the last review. I am 8+ and I really liked this one a lot. There is bullying at school and bad dreams and I think its good when it is in books. But the point is Maddy wins through the dark times with the help of her dear, dear friend Madam Pamplmousse and her cool cat Camembert (he is my favourite). So please don't stop Mister Kingfisher. Kids now are wized up to dark stuff and you make it come right, which is what is great and what stories are for.

PS Rupert Kingfisher came to our school which was great to hear a real live children's writer
VINE VOICEon 4 October 2010
Let me start by saying I'm a huge fan of this series of books. My six year old loved the first two books, and was delighted when the latest arrived (funnily enough at the same time as the third in the also great Ottoline series by Chris Riddell).

On the plus side, it's well written, beautifully presented and nicely illustrated, just as the first two books are. Where it drops points in comparison from the first two books is that it is just too dark for little readers. It deals with bullying and nightmares in quite a bit of detail, along with some fairly unpleasant incidents from one of the character's childhood. Now don't get me wrong, my middle child had already been read Matilda (the Dahl book with some hideous parents and teachers, but done in a very funny way), a couple of Harry Potters, and the Hobbit, so is far from sheltered, but did find parts of this quite frightening.

Reading it aloud, I could see why this was, and the overall tone is pretty dark. It';s still a good read, but I wouldn't plan on revisiting this book in the next couple of years, and it just seems to be aimed at a different type of reader than the first two books (which I would recommend without hesitation).

I hope this helps.
We read Madame Pamplemousse's Incredible Edibles and really enjoyed it. This is the third book in the series, and it is a much different prospect from the first volume. The first book is a rather lovely magical adventure story about Madame Pamplemousse's magical deli and her friendship with a young girl called Madeleine.

This book features the same characters, but in a different context. Madame Pamplemousse doesn't make an appearance until nearly two thirds of the way through the book. This is Madeleine's story, and tells of her bullying at school and how she falls into the clutches of an evil sweetshop owner who sends her to an alternative nightmare dimension from which she has to be rescued.

This is rather a dark book and not one I would recommend for younger readers of a nervous disposition. My children enjoyed it, but it is a bit scary. Recommended for sevens and up.
on 24 September 2012
I had been trying to encourage my 8 yr old daughter to read chapter books but apart from a few Roald Dahl books nothing else seemed to hold her interest for long. Stumbled across the Madame Pamplemousse series and my daughter read the first two books in one week! Have bought the third as a stocking filler for Christmas. She loves the mystery and suspense and beacause we actually live in Paris, France, she can imagine the scenes quite vividly. Just wish there were more in the series! Keep writing Rupert Kingfisher!
on 28 June 2014
This is the darkest of the series (the plot is kicked off by a chilling trap that, to an adult, reads like a metaphor for drug addiction) but it's my 8 year old daughter's favourite of the series. It warns against caving into convention and robustly defends 'outsiders'. The prose is perfect and the characterisation shrewd - especially the tragic though terrifying villain of the piece.
on 6 March 2011
I am 10 years old and I loved reading this book ! I would stay up all night reading and I found it so exciting . The book really showed a true frienship between a young girl and a mysterious looking lady and her cat.I think Rupert Kingfisher should make some more Madame Pamplemousse books ,beacause they`re so great!
on 14 February 2015
The first 2 books are great, a bit scary but beautifully written, thoroughly enchanting: inspiring and imaginative
This third is dark: drugs, underworlds, bullying and bit of child cruelty.... Some good life lessons but my 7yo found it too scary - I read alone to the end and have saved it for another day
on 29 November 2013
Bought this for my 9 year old who loved it so much we bought the other two books in the collection. Super story line and wonderful characters. Would highly recommend.
on 6 May 2014
my 10 year old granddaughter is a avid reader and really enjoyed this book has did her friend who had recommended it to her , arrived quickly , thank you seller .
on 28 December 2013
it was a great read. it defiantly deserved its five star rating because I stayed up half the night to get to the end. It was the best book ever.