Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 16 March 2010
An excellent trilogy for young people and adults! It's full of adventure, suspense, excitement and a little romance. The Named (Guardians of Time) is the first book of the trilogy and it is written mainly in Ethan's and Isobel's points of view. Ethan was named as a guardian of time from birth and the training for such responsibility usually begins when one starts to come into their powers. However Ethan's sister is murdered when he is very young by Marduke who is from the Order of Chaos. As a consequence his training begins at 4 years of age and he goes on many adventures protecting events and people of time. Isobel is Matt's sister who is Ethan's former best friend. Unknowingly Isobel is also one of the Named and Ethan has the responsibility of training her and perfecting her skills. Isobel thinks she is in love with Ethan but then she meets Arkarian who is the son of an immortal and very powerful and feels drawn to him. On the other hand Ethan is drawn to Rochelle (Matt's girlfriend) but doesn't know why. There are nine altogether that are Named at birth to be Guardians of Time but all are not revealed in this first book. The second book "The Dark" is written mainly in Isobel's and Arkarian's points of view and the third book "The Key" is mainly written in Matt's and Rochelle's points of view.

The last book in the trilogy is my favourite - The Key - I just couldn't put it down, it's a real page turner as the prophesy draws to the final conclusion and fulfilment.
on 31 March 2006
I bought this book (with the dark and the key) about 6-8 months and wanted a book to read, so i went to my small libary and picked out the Named, read the first paragraphs and then finished the book in two days! This book is amasing and it really makes you want to be part of it! Moreover there is also a bit of martial arts (kartae, although not mentioned much), for those in the romantic part, it is the small as its the first part. And its amazing how they mix real life with magic.
great battle scens and doesnt go on hours explaing scenery!
on 23 August 2002
I feel that Bloomsbury books always give the covers of their books the wrong sort of impression to the buyer of the book.
I think that the cover of 'The Named' looks like a scary horror story which it isn't at all.
The story is based around two main characters - Ethan and Isobel who are both Named. This means that they travel back in time to make sure that The order of chaos doesn't change history with drastic results in their favour.
Isobel is an appretice as she has only just become a member and Ethan only has a short amount of time to train her for her first mission. If Ethan manages to train Isobel in time he will recieve the highest promotion, he will recieve his wings.
This book has many twists and turns - in that way it is similar to the HArry Potter books as at the beginning the prologue doesn't really make sense and then by the end it all falls together and makes sense.
The Named has everything a good book should have, not only do you get lost completely in it but it has action, mystery, a sprinkling of romance and adventure.
It is also a very easy read. I will read this book over and over again, i just hope that there is a sequel.
on 31 May 2002
I loved this book. I had read "old magic" before, but "The Named" is miles better. It mixes everything from Action, Adventure, mystery, romance and history: the result? A fantstic unmissable novel, by a very talented author. The basic story is about a secret group called The guard, who go back in time to try and prevent the evil Order of Chaos from changing the past and altering the present for their gain. The main characters are Nathan and Isabel, who have to keep there adventurous life secret while still going to school and trying to lead a normal life. This book is full of twists and an amazing, well told story. READ THIS BOOK!!! You'll love it, guaranteed.
on 28 May 2009
I had high hopes for this but found after 100 pages or so that I was bored and didn't care what happened next.

I loved the idea - time management! - but found the 2 principal characters rather flat, especially the girl who was supposed to be a sports fiend but who spent most of her time thinking soppy thoughts about the boy. Then when it came to their first time trip I was thoroughly put off: the traipsing round asking idiotic questions and making mistakes which surely the boy's A grade History should have prevented, but mainly the humdrum historic location.

It's set in Australia (I eventually deduced - no sense of place in the writing) and yet they have to go back to medieval England. Boring! Think of all the fantastic times and places in the whole of the rest of the world, but no, we're treated to ladies in long dresses and men with swords.

Don't bother. Try something truly original to read, such as Stravaganza or Sabriel or Fly By Night. This is not worth the eye-time.
on 23 September 2006
This is the best book that I have ever read, and believe me, I have read a lot of exceptionally good books. I cannot believe that anyone could even think that this book is rubbish. It is my all time favourite book, and I will list my reasons.

Firstly, the storyline is compelling, and incredibly imaginitive. At first it seems compicated, but it all gets wrapped up well at the end.

Secondly, to the person who said it was bad being written in the present tence, you're incredibly wrong. It's fantastic that it is written this way, and brilliant that an author has finally stepped out of the boundary which is that everyone writes in the past tence. How can you really think you are there, if it isn't happening now?! With this in mind, and it also having been written in the first person, you can really relate to the character, and believe that you are a part of the adventure. Also, in each book it concentrates on two characters, and around about every chapter, it swaps. This is a fantastic idea, as you can understand boths opinions, and views of a situation perfectly without it having to be in a narrator style.

Thirdly, the storyline has everything; adventure, action, good vs evil, romance, magic, need I go on? You would think that this is too good to be true, well, it's also written exceptionally. I started reading this just before Harry Potter 6 came out, so I put it down about a 6th of the way through, but I missed it so much, that I sacraficed HP, until after I'd finished it! That's how good it is. If your not a fan of HP, then it doesnt matter, just imagine your favourite fantasy book, and I'm sure it will be just as good. In my opinion, it's better than all the books I've read, and it will take a lot to push it out of that position. Please trust me on this one. DON'T HESITATE! JUST BUY IT! You won't look back.
on 19 November 2006
This is a brilliant book, and although it is in the present tense and the plot is confusing, it keeps you going all the way. People who believe the plot is too hard to follow obviously don't appreciate the style of writing.

I highly reccomend this book, I read it in under 24 hours. Marianne Curley is a very talented and modern author, this is a book for all ages.
on 14 February 2005
the named is one of the msot brilliant books i have ever read. the synopsis does not give it credit enough. ethan is one of the named, a special boy by any means and is sent to train isabel who does not know tht this other world exists. Together and with some other characters they battle with their own worst fears and monsters. With some surprising twists and humour and loyalty and love marianne curley pulls off an excellent read. So good i could not put it down. And this is only part of a trilogy where it gets even better. The named is a brilliant and compelling story for anyone, young or old and is excellently written.
on 24 March 2007
This book was suggested to me by one of my best friends at school who had been raving on and on about the gaurdians of trilogy,and I don't blame her for doing so,this book is outstanding as are the rest in the trilogy,the plot is totally gripping and i must admit that i was shocked to discover it had recieved such bad reviews by a few people,they obviously havn't been reading the same book as me!
on 15 July 2007
I totally loved this book!! I picked up the trilogy to read during my summer holidays a couple of years ago, and was totally blown away. I've read all of Marrianne Curley's books, and I was very worried when I read about her illness, I hope she's okay. If you have read bad reviews about this book, don't acknowledge them, because this book is amazing, and it is written by a brilliant author.