on 5 December 2013
Well laid out for those new to foraging. Illustrations are much more true to colour to the plant and to its background context than in other books. Useful Directory and Reference at the back that links to other River Cottage publications for making jams, booze other foraging food tips. A separate chapter dealing with poisonous plants is good - if in doubt you can check that chapter first before reading through all the look alike plants before you identify the one in front of you. Lots of other tips. The book will fit into a rucksack but not a jacket pocket (ladies)
on 25 January 2016
After reading this my husband went out and picked sloe's and then made sloe gin. OMG it was lovely unfortunately there isn't any left. He's now planning all kinds of other hedgerow experiments. Would recommend.
on 1 September 2010
Having loved 'Mushrooms' and 'Edible Seashore' I couldn't wait to get my hands on 'Hedgerow' which has lived up to all my expectations and more. It's a warm, witty and generous introduction to hedgerow foraging. The pictures are clear, the poison plants section should stop me eating anything silly, the recipies are tempting and practical, not least because even if I don't manage to forage some key ingredients I can at least get hold of them commercially which means there's nothing holding me back. Instructions regarding preperation, and the law are clear and useful.

Basically for a foraging amatuer like myself there are all the tools to start exploring with confidence, and even for the very experianced forager I can't imagine this not being a welcome addition to the library. What really makes these books for me is just how readable they are - a spot on mix of information, humour, anacdote, science, folklore and more. Mine goes everywhere with me partly in case I want to identify something but mostly because it's perfect for dipping in and out of.
on 11 January 2013
We decided to stick to one range of books so that we didn't end up with a library of cook books in the kitchen. River Cottage recipe books fit the bill nicely. Concise and clear, essential and educational. Love the additonal information given besides the recipes.
on 24 February 2012
John Wright must be a very nice man; reading this, and, incidentally, Mushrooms in the same series, I really felt he is the sort of chap I'd like to go for a long walk with. Very knowledgeable on the subject and extremely amusing at times he takes us on a stroll through the countryside grazing on the hedgerows and inspiring us to make wonderful dishes that will cost us little and probably do us the world of good.
The recipes are by no means over-rustic in their nature, being mostly stylish and scrummy-sounding to be worthy of any supper party.
He gives us, albeit reluctantly, the recipe for Elderflower Delight; I have always hated Turkish Delight, but sat up with excitement at the idea of another use of Elders to add to my largely alcoholic repertoire.
There is a simple to understand section on the legalities of foraging, and clear descriptions of all of the poisonous plants that are most likely to be encountered and mistaken for something tasty.
All in all, another invaluable title in the series.
on 30 August 2015
it was a present that was perfect.
on 5 August 2010
To say that I was exited about getting my hands on this book is an understatement. And now, after having browsed through it a few times, I'd certainly say that I'm not dissapointed. John Wrights style is informative, engaging and witty, and the descriptions of plants (both edible and some poisonous species) are detailed and accompanied by excellent photographs.
Although the handbook only covers a selection of the many edible species in the British Isles, it describes some of the more worthwhile species and would make an excellent introduction to someone new to foraging.
This book is a worthy addition to the River Cottage Handbook series and will also compliment some of the classic tomes such as Roger Phillips 'Wild Food' and Richard Mabeys 'Food for Free'.
on 8 July 2016
Always have loved, to pick wild berries und plants, especially as a child and later on with our son. It is nice to find this book in the River Cottage series and it is a pleasure to read it.
on 30 July 2010
I have got my copy already and I must say it is fantastic. I read it cover to cover in almost one sitting (except the recipes, though these look good too). John Wright makes the whole thing seem like so much fun and it is a very funny read. It covers just about everything you could find to eat in the wild (except mushrooms and some of the seashore plants) with about sixty species covered and describes the most serious poisonous species you could mix them up with. The bit about the law was very interesting - and funny, and, like the rest of the book, goes into lots of useful detail. If you are interested in wild food this book tells you everything you want to know and is an all time "must buy".
on 20 January 2011
Dont get me wrong - we love the book! What's good: thorough about the plants, realistic, witty, useful and fun recipes, good pictures. Excellent durable binding. What is less good: pics not good enough for ID (as the author says, the book is not designed for that. Not that many plants listed.