on 24 February 2012
John Wright must be a very nice man; reading this, and, incidentally, Mushrooms in the same series, I really felt he is the sort of chap I'd like to go for a long walk with. Very knowledgeable on the subject and extremely amusing at times he takes us on a stroll through the countryside grazing on the hedgerows and inspiring us to make wonderful dishes that will cost us little and probably do us the world of good.
The recipes are by no means over-rustic in their nature, being mostly stylish and scrummy-sounding to be worthy of any supper party.
He gives us, albeit reluctantly, the recipe for Elderflower Delight; I have always hated Turkish Delight, but sat up with excitement at the idea of another use of Elders to add to my largely alcoholic repertoire.
There is a simple to understand section on the legalities of foraging, and clear descriptions of all of the poisonous plants that are most likely to be encountered and mistaken for something tasty.
All in all, another invaluable title in the series.
on 8 July 2016
Always have loved, to pick wild berries und plants, especially as a child and later on with our son. It is nice to find this book in the River Cottage series and it is a pleasure to read it.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 3 November 2017
Great book arrived on time thanks
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 30 July 2010
I have got my copy already and I must say it is fantastic. I read it cover to cover in almost one sitting (except the recipes, though these look good too). John Wright makes the whole thing seem like so much fun and it is a very funny read. It covers just about everything you could find to eat in the wild (except mushrooms and some of the seashore plants) with about sixty species covered and describes the most serious poisonous species you could mix them up with. The bit about the law was very interesting - and funny, and, like the rest of the book, goes into lots of useful detail. If you are interested in wild food this book tells you everything you want to know and is an all time "must buy".
0Comment| 74 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 20 January 2011
Dont get me wrong - we love the book! What's good: thorough about the plants, realistic, witty, useful and fun recipes, good pictures. Excellent durable binding. What is less good: pics not good enough for ID (as the author says, the book is not designed for that. Not that many plants listed.
on 4 October 2010
A very well written book in a very readable style, but as others have said not a lot of photographs, most of the recipes are at the back but some are within the text describing the food, a bit of hunting to do for some recipes. The book looks like it's been printed digitally onto a mottled paper, so you don't get great vibrancy or detail, in the 1980's we had some books at the local village hall, they were from about 40 years before then, and this book felt like those. More information, more photo's, a better layout would of greatly improved this buy, I ended up buying some other old secondhand books to find out what I couldn't from this River Cottage version.
on 5 August 2010
Just received my copy yesterday, and this is a fantastic little book!

I already have some of the other books in this series (Mushrooms, Veg Patch, Preserves) and this one fits in beautifully with loads of information about each of the plants as well as clear images and identification advice. In my opinion the images are much clearer than those in "Food for free" - this book is bigger and heavier to carry around but I think it might be worth it!

The sections on useful tools and the law relating to foraging are informative whilst still being interesting to read as they are interspersed with humour.

The recipes look interesting too and I can't wait to give them a try.

All in all - one happy customer :)
on 27 September 2010
Like all the River Cottage Handbooks this is beautifully presented and I like John Wright's honest and witty writing style. It is great to pick up and dip into. Great photography supports the text when identifying plants unlike some books which rely on line drawings. There are some interesting sections on Conservation and the law, a vitally important section on poisonous plants and some good recipes to try - even how to make your own chestnut flour - which if ever you've ever bought any is quite expensive. A great addition to my ever expanding bookshelf
on 19 September 2010
This book is one of a long line of handbooks produced by the River Cottage HQ crew and is a must for the avid forager or just the rambler who likes to know his or her surroundings and nibble one or two of them on the way. Well written and in plain English, this informative guide takes you on a journey through the UK's hedgerows and countryside and is packed full of the author's own experiences and great knowledge. Read it, go for a walk in our great British countryside and you might just go home with more than sore feet. To ensure that isn't an upset stomach, there is also a section on poisonous plants, so make sure you read it all. Even the foreword is interesting! Enjoy.
on 1 July 2012
I have purchased a few books on wild food over the past couple of years, for both moral reasons as well as due to (admittedly self proclaimed) foresight. This has been the best so far. The pictures are fantastic, the information is thorough, and it is also blessed with having been written buy someone with a sense of humor...a necessity in this day and age. It is solid and moderately compact, with a calendar listing availability and recipes for those interested. Due to all the above and the fact the amount of plants listed exceeds those of any other book I have bought previously I would recommend this to anyone bar those who maybe have advanced knowledge on the subject.

Fantastic