Customer reviews

Running in the Family
Format: Paperback|Change

on 24 December 2016
Entertaining, a little disjointed but then peoples' lives are. Valuable insight into life in Sri Lanka in the 20th century. I loved the story about the looting rebels demanding the author's airgun. Then they asked for a bat and ball to pay cricket in his garden.
While travelling through Kegalle I wondered aloud whether we could find Michael Ondaartje's old home. My friends were enthusiastic and we managed to find it and speak to the new owners, now third generation owners. relationships with the Colonials were often dismissive and snobbish but some Sihala-British co-operations were great achievements.
Though amusing and informative this is a sad story of a family slowly breaking up because of drink and gambling. It strength is in what Michael Ondaartje has not written, but you, as a reader know, how he and his brother managed to make new and successful lives in Canada.
on 24 April 2017
Could not put this down. What an incredible family. We feel we have lived Ondaatje's own mission to uncover their history in Sri Lanka.
2 people found this helpful
on 23 June 2013
Having lived in Ceylon as a child, I found this book to be charming and fascinating as it filled in some of the background for me.
There was a definite prejudice from the Colonial administrators towards the native peoples which as a child one did not know about so this lovely book opened my eyes to a reality that I had not known. I liked it very much, as I do all of Michael Ondaatje's books.
on 5 January 2015
Brilliant read especially if you are holidaying in Sri Lanka and staying in a colonial villa. But it is much more than that. Very thoughtful and written impeccably. Did it help the author reconcile himself with the father he lost? Hard to tell but a heart turning effort.some wonderful poetry as well. Thank you.
3 people found this helpful
on 22 March 2015
this is an exemplary family memoir, a tale with no whiskers removed and all obdurate characters celebrated, told thoughtfully and with great narrative skill, humour, tragedy; life's mysterious ways. What more could you want?
on 10 September 2017
Extremely funny, especially for someone who knows, loves and lives in Sri Lanka as I am now.
2 people found this helpful
on 14 June 2018
pleased
on 1 May 2018
great if been to sri lanka
on 5 January 2015
A good read if you are interested in how things used to be in Ceylon. Full of eccentric and colourful characters.
on 6 January 2016
It quickly becomes clear these memoirs have been spiced up. Some of the stories are indeed amusing and evocative. But others are boring. The style is idiosyncratic and an unknown writer would never have got this published.
3 people found this helpful